PDA

View Full Version : 'Frozen' costumes selling for over $1000?!

twotimesblue
04-15-2014, 11:08 PM
Has the world truly gone mad? Who are these people spending over $1000 for a mass-produced costume, just because it's sold out in stores? Am I missing something here?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2605253/1-000-KIDS-COSTUME-Disneys-sold-Elsa-dress-smash-hit-Frozen-sells-astronomical-prices-eBay.html

AnnieW625
04-15-2014, 11:13 PM
Makes me want to get on the wait list for the Elsa/Anna dress set from the non Disney costume company (forgetting the name) and selling the doll/costume set I already bought at Target. I would be soo afraid of non payment though.

PZMommy
04-16-2014, 12:54 AM
That is insane! For that price one could hire a seamstress to make one for a heck of a lot cheaper and it would probably be better quality anyways.

Ceepa
04-16-2014, 08:17 AM
From the article, this industry analyst's view is mine as well:

"Mr [Christopher] Byrne, who says he holds a rather 'dim personal opinion' of the parents who spend 'astronomical' amounts of money on the film's merchandise, says that while it is natural for children to want to take the popular character into their lives, parents are missing the mark by indulging them in all the related products.

'Why not play into the films wonderful message?' he suggests. 'Parents have become obsessed with the street cred they gain for themselves and their children by buying into this hysteria.

'Are these really the values we want to be teaching our kids?'"

JenChem
04-16-2014, 09:18 AM
That's crazy. Who are these parents? I'm guessing if they are desperate enough to pay over $1000 for a dress they don't have the time to wait for a seamstress to make one worth that price. Just crazy!

TwinFoxes
04-16-2014, 09:45 AM
I don't believe it. People can charge whatever, doesn't mean people are buying. Despite what the unnamed woman's "friend" supposedly did. The Daily Mail is a tabloid, and this is right up their alley of stirring people up. Maybe there's someone somewhere who bought one for that much, but my guess is it's a collector, not a parent.

ETA: here's one for $159, NWT, quick snap it up and make $900 profit! (Or get stuck with a $159 dollar kids costume).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DISNEY-FROZEN-ELSA-PRINCESS-SNOW-QUEEN-COSTUME-DRESS-GOWN-SoldOutIn-Store-S-5-6-/181383276366?pt=US_Childrens_Clothing_Girls&hash=item2a3b49274e

wellyes
04-16-2014, 10:11 AM
Yeah, it's ebay, anyone can bid whatever they want and not pay and walk away without consequence. So I'm skeptical.