PDA

View Full Version : eBay questions

DietCokeLover
04-16-2014, 10:40 AM
I am a complete newbie at eBay. Never bought or sold on there. If I have some items I would like to try and sell, do I need to have a oaypal account in order to safely receive payment? Also, does eBay take a commission?

Anything else I should know that I don't even know to ask?

sidmand
04-16-2014, 12:20 PM
eBay takes about 10%. I *think* you have to have a PayPal account? At the very least it's SO much easier for everyone if you do! But PayPal takes a commission too and shipping costs too. Expect it'll cost at least 15% of the purchase price in fees. Make sure shipping costs cover how much shipping will be. I ended up paying people to buy stuff on occasion(!). Also, unless the transaction is @ $10 it's probably not worth it so combine items if you need to.

sidmand
04-16-2014, 12:22 PM
FWIW, I try never to buy from someone without feedback. If you can buy a couple of small items and get some positive feedback, I think that would help. There are many scammers and I would be afraid to buy from someone brand new unless it was a great deal and I was willing to risk it.

Binkandabee
04-16-2014, 12:30 PM
You do have to offer at least one electronic form of payment, but it doesn't have to be paypal. I've always used paypal, so don't know a thing about any of the others offered. I think you can offer payment in person if the buyer is going to pick the item up. Ebay takes about 10% and paypal takes anther 4% approximately.

Ebay for me is hit or miss. I sell a lot more of my items on my local facebook selling pages than I do on ebay. BUT, ebay is great for certain items with a higher value. For example, I have a rare toy dinosaur that my daughter received and never played with (who knew?) that I have listed for several hundred dollars. That would not fly on my local pages at all....I could maybe get $40.00 for it there. On the other hand, I can sell my girls outgrown clothes by the lot for $40.00 all day long. So, you just have to experiment with things and see how it goes. When I first started selling my girls clothes on facebook pages, I was listing them one dress at a time and nobody wanted them. Now, I post them in lots and they sell literally within seconds of being post every single time. People don't want to drive for a $5.00 clothing item.

ETA: With the ebay buyer's guarantee....no/few feedback is not really an issue, at least for me. I've tested that guarantee once here recently and I received my money back, quickly and easily. The seller was brand new 0 feedback and just never shipped my item.

sidmand
04-16-2014, 02:04 PM
ETA: With the ebay buyer's guarantee....no/few feedback is not really an issue, at least for me. I've tested that guarantee once here recently and I received my money back, quickly and easily. The seller was brand new 0 feedback and just never shipped my item.

I have received my money back but it's been a total PITA too many times and it's almost always new sellers with little to no feedback. I started off thinking it was worth the risk because I'd get my money back. But it's not worth the hassle most of the time!

buddyleebaby
04-16-2014, 09:05 PM
If you are a brand new seller, paypal will not release your funds immediately. There is a waiting period which you can shorten by submitting tracking info to them.

mom2binsd
04-16-2014, 09:16 PM
I've bought and sold for years and still follow some of the seller forums, ebay is a pita now, more scammers than ever and lots of fees. You should really try Craigslist or Facebook local pages first, if you can.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2