PDA

View Full Version : Cozi vs Google Calendar vs iCal

theriviera
04-16-2014, 12:38 PM
We are currently using Cozi and I love it. However, I use google calendar at work and I cannot get the import feed to work. I missed two meetings last week because I am so used to relying on the reminders from Cozi.

I reached out to Cozi for help but in the mean time I would like to research my other options. Does anyone use Google Calendar for everything? Are you able to have a calendar for each family member that shows up on a master calendar? Can you share it with other family members/nanny so they have it on their iphone?

Also, if there is something like cozi but that offers full google integration, please let me know! I'm willing to pay for a good app if I can keep everything in one place.

khm
04-16-2014, 01:29 PM
We are currently using Cozi and I love it. However, I use google calendar at work and I cannot get the import feed to work. I missed two meetings last week because I am so used to relying on the reminders from Cozi.

I reached out to Cozi for help but in the mean time I would like to research my other options. Does anyone use Google Calendar for everything? Are you able to have a calendar for each family member that shows up on a master calendar? Can you share it with other family members/nanny so they have it on their iphone?

Also, if there is something like cozi but that offers full google integration, please let me know! I'm willing to pay for a good app if I can keep everything in one place.

I have no experience with Cozi, what is it you love about it? Maybe someone can say if other programs can do similar things.

What I do is I have my own google calendar. My husband has his own google calendar. We can see each other's by toggling them on and off on the website/phone, but normally, I don't WANT to see his entire calendar, nor he mine.

I am typically the one who enters kid/school stuff. I invite him and he accepts it, that way kid/family stuff is on our own individual calendars but not cluttered up with individual work stuff that the other doesn't care about. My calendar is full enough without knowing about his 6 precon meetings before 3:00. ;)

I also find that works best because if a kid/family appointment changes, he gets *notified* by email. If on a shared calendar, it just moves without a heads up. By the time the reminder comes, it may be too late.

I have it color coded per kid. I have certain reminders that utilize SMS reminders because those catch my attention more than email reminders or pop-ups. (They've always had this capability, but I didn't discover it until I'd been using it for a long time, and it saves my bacon!)

theriviera
04-16-2014, 01:59 PM
I have no experience with Cozi, what is it you love about it? Maybe someone can say if other programs can do similar things.

What I do is I have my own google calendar. My husband has his own google calendar. We can see each other's by toggling them on and off on the website/phone, but normally, I don't WANT to see his entire calendar, nor he mine.

I am typically the one who enters kid/school stuff. I invite him and he accepts it, that way kid/family stuff is on our own individual calendars but not cluttered up with individual work stuff that the other doesn't care about. My calendar is full enough without knowing about his 6 precon meetings before 3:00. ;)

I also find that works best because if a kid/family appointment changes, he gets *notified* by email. If on a shared calendar, it just moves without a heads up. By the time the reminder comes, it may be too late.

I have it color coded per kid. I have certain reminders that utilize SMS reminders because those catch my attention more than email reminders or pop-ups. (They've always had this capability, but I didn't discover it until I'd been using it for a long time, and it saves my bacon!)

Well, a lot of what I like is what you mentioned. Each kid has her own calendar so when I put an event there, I can specify who it is for. I don't use this for my husband's work calendar. He uses Outlook but I want him to get reminders of stuff that he needs to know about so that he can put it on his work calendar. I also like the to do lists in Cozi.

tmahanes
04-16-2014, 02:15 PM
I use Google calendar with calengoo on my phone and can do all that you described!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

niccig
04-16-2014, 02:27 PM
We use google calendars. I have 3 calendars on my account - my personal appointments, DS's appointments, my college classes. Dh has his own calendar and we can see each other's calendar. I have it set up that DH automatically gets reminders about DS's schedule, and I invite DH to an appointment on my calendar if he's needs to know about it.

DH doesn't use a calendar much, so it's really for him to see what's going on with DS and I.

I use calengoo on my phone too. I also have gmail set to send me an email every morning with that day's schedule.

khm
04-16-2014, 02:32 PM
We use google calendars. I have 3 calendars on my account - my personal appointments, DS's appointments, my college classes. Dh has his own calendar and we can see each other's calendar. I have it set up that DH automatically gets reminders about DS's schedule, and I invite DH to an appointment on my calendar if he's needs to know about it.

DH doesn't use a calendar much, so it's really for him to see what's going on with DS and I.

I use calengoo on my phone too. I also have gmail set to send me an email every morning with that day's schedule.

I love calengoo too! I have the 4x1 Agenda widget on my phone's homescreen. It is the perfect snapshot of the next items on the list. It also has my "to-do's" on the bottom of the last appointment. Very handy! I've tried a ton of apps and visually calengoo is the best for me.

theriviera
04-16-2014, 02:33 PM
I use Google calendar with calengoo on my phone and can do all that you described!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Do you use the paid version?

theriviera
04-16-2014, 02:34 PM
Also, are you adding/editing in google calendar or in the calengoo app?

niccig
04-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Also, are you adding/editing in google calendar or in the calengoo app?

Both. If I'm on my computer, I use google calendar on the computer. If I'm on my phone, I use calengoo. Calengoo syncs when you open it. I've never had a problem with an appt. not showing up on each.

niccig
04-16-2014, 02:37 PM
I love calengoo too! I have the 4x1 Agenda widget on my phone's homescreen. It is the perfect snapshot of the next items on the list. It also has my "to-do's" on the bottom of the last appointment. Very handy! I've tried a ton of apps and visually calengoo is the best for me.

What widget? That I do not have.

khm
04-16-2014, 03:29 PM
What widget? That I do not have.

Do you have an iPhone? I'm not sure they have widgets??

On Android, just tap/hold on a screen with enough room, select Add to Home / Apps&Widgets / Widget tab and pick 4x1 Agenda or any of the other zillion Calengoo widget options (I also have a full-screen widget for the weekly view...)

Does this help for iPhone?
http://www.calengoo.com/docs/pageedit/pagereminders/styled/pagenotificationcenter.html

Both. If I'm on my computer, I use google calendar on the computer. If I'm on my phone, I use calengoo. Calengoo syncs when you open it. I've never had a problem with an appt. not showing up on each.

Yup, that's what I do too - website on computer or Calengoo on phone. I can also use the iPad. Stuff shows up across platforms instantly.

vonfirmath
04-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Do you use the paid version?

I'm pretty sure I have the paid Version of Calengoo.

Reyadawnbringer
04-16-2014, 09:17 PM
I have cozi and I prefer it to the Google calendar after the Google calendar failed me on several occasions. I am trying to justify paying for cozi because I need all the extra features it has but I don't really have the money in the budget for it. I believe there is a way to import Google calendar items in to cozi.

As for the look of the app and the ease of use, cozi is my favorite.

theriviera
04-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Ok, I bought CalenGoo. Now I need to set up both this and Google Calendar to work for us. With Cozi I could pick which family members were invited to which event. How do I do that with google?

khm
04-17-2014, 10:16 PM
Ok, I bought CalenGoo. Now I need to set up both this and Google Calendar to work for us. With Cozi I could pick which family members were invited to which event. How do I do that with google?

From the website, you just Add Guest and they'll get an email to accept the event and it'll go into their calendar. Once they are added they'll be in the dropdown for future events. My husband uses Outlook, so it shows up there on his Outlook. It IS on Google web version he just never uses that.

From the phone, there's an Add Attendee button in CalenGoo. Again, they be remembered, in check list form.

For us, the kids don't have their own calendars, I just color code them on my calendar when I'm creating the event (DS - blue, DD - purple, both - red). But, you could create a calendar for each kid,over on the left.

I do have multiple calendars (Bills, Workouts, General Housekeeping reminders) that I prefer not to see on my phone. I can also view my husband's calendar because it i shared with me. Again, I prefer not to see it most of the time, but it is there if I do.

niccig
04-17-2014, 11:19 PM
From the website, you just Add Guest and they'll get an email to accept the event and it'll go into their calendar. Once they are added they'll be in the dropdown for future events. My husband uses Outlook, so it shows up there on his Outlook. It IS on Google web version he just never uses that.

From the phone, there's an Add Attendee button in CalenGoo. Again, they be remembered, in check list form.

For us, the kids don't have their own calendars, I just color code them on my calendar when I'm creating the event (DS - blue, DD - purple, both - red). But, you could create a calendar for each kid,over on the left.

I do have multiple calendars (Bills, Workouts, General Housekeeping reminders) that I prefer not to see on my phone. I can also view my husband's calendar because it i shared with me. Again, I prefer not to see it most of the time, but it is there if I do.

DS has his own calendar on my google calendars. It was just easier for me to do it that way, so I can toggle it on/off as needed. Though mostly it's always on as he has more things going on than I do.

Have the calendars set so they send you a reminder at 5am in the morning. I get one email with a snapshot of that day's activities. It helps me to see it all as soon as I check my email.