PDA

View Full Version : Which fish to get? Atlantic or Pacific?

elbenn
04-17-2014, 11:41 AM
I have always heard that pacific fish are better because atlantic fish have higher mercury. A friend of mine said that she is now buying atlantic fish because the waters in the pacific are not good for fish right now. Anyone researched this and have any opinions on which fish are better to get now?

lizzywednesday
04-17-2014, 12:32 PM
It's less "Atlantic" vs. "Pacific" and more "farmed" vs. "wild caught."

In general, one is told to avoid farmed fish. If you are shopping for salmon, for example, if it's labeled "Atlantic," it's farmed.

For a better guideline, there's the Oceana Seafood Guide:

http://oceana.org/en/living-blue/sustainable-seafood-guide

There's also this, from the Blue Ocean Institute that flags certain types of fish for harmful chemicals:

http://www.blueocean.org/files/Seafood_Guide.pdf

Lastly, a predator fish, like a shark, is going to have a higher concentration of chemicals built up in its tissues than a prey fish, like a sardine, and, as chemists are fond of saying, the dose makes the poison.

elliput
04-17-2014, 12:33 PM
I think there are a lot of variables here. Is your friend specifically buying one variety of fish or all fish? And the Pacific is a huge ocean, so I would think it would depend on the specific location being fished also (Chinese waters vs Alaskan etc).

I have a preference for Alaska wild caught salmon over Atlantic farmed salmon, however, that is about the only fish I do eat.

sariana
04-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Is your friend concerned about radiation from Fukushima, or is there some other concern about Pacific fish right now?

janine
04-17-2014, 01:07 PM
Offshoot, is one region's farmed better than another? For example Scottish or Norweigan farmed vs. Atlantic?

I ask as our family (kids/DH) don't like the taste of wild caught salmon.

elbenn
04-17-2014, 01:15 PM
Is your friend concerned about radiation from Fukushima, or is there some other concern about Pacific fish right now?

Yes, it's this issue. I already know about farmed versus wild fish and always buy wild fish. My question is about many kinds of fish, including salmon, shellfish, cod, etc.

Momit
04-17-2014, 01:18 PM
I like the Seafood Watch app and printed guide put out by Monterey Bay Aquarium. Discusses sustainability issues, chemical content etc. of different fish to help make informed decisions.

boolady
04-17-2014, 02:35 PM
I like the Seafood Watch app and printed guide put out by Monterey Bay Aquarium. Discusses sustainability issues, chemical content etc. of different fish to help make informed decisions.

I like this app, too.