PDA

View Full Version : For fun, what are your personal nail polish 'rules'?

trcy
04-17-2014, 09:02 PM
I wondering if you feel your nail polish color (fingers & toes) should match. Poll coming.

hellbennt
04-17-2014, 09:03 PM
My toes almost always have a (very) sparkly top coat. My nails, when I get them done, are usually very plain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lalasmama
04-17-2014, 09:08 PM
Coordinated, yes, but not always matchy matchy. I change my finger nails every 10 days or so (I use Jamberry (http://jamberrynails.net) nails). I hate doing my toes, and so I usually just have something generic pink that will coordinate with whatever Jamberries I have at the moment.

JBaxter
04-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Always have my toes painted bright and usually sparkly but never paint my fingers.

PZMommy
04-17-2014, 09:29 PM
I tend to go wild and crazy on my toes and then do something a little more plain for my fingers. I change my fingers every week or so, but my toes stay for a few weeks.

SnuggleBuggles
04-17-2014, 09:34 PM
I rarely do my fingers but always do my toes. My toes are never without polish. I'm not a fan of blue or black but most other colors are ok.

I do like when my fingers are do e but they chip too fast (I don't pay for manicures). I feel like a cheap hooker when my polish is chipped.

ilfaith
04-17-2014, 09:36 PM
I tend to go wild and crazy on my toes and then do something a little more plain for my fingers. I change my fingers every week or so, but my toes stay for a few weeks.

Same here. I don't change out my toenail polish nearly as often as my fingers (and my fingernails are more likely to be bare and buffed, while my toes are pretty much always polished). I also tend to do brighter/darker/wackier colors on my toes...because those colors are more likely to show chips on my fingernails rather than because I feel the need to keep my manicures conservative.

amatahrain
04-17-2014, 10:37 PM
I hate looking at unpainted toe nails on other women. I never show my toes in public unless they're painted. Fingers I don't generally bother with b/c they chip so easily and I'm not in to the gel stuff.

lmh2402
04-17-2014, 10:40 PM
my toes are painted year round. my fingers are painted rarely. i got a manicure in January. before that, I got one I think two years before.

It's simply not worth it as they chip almost immediately since my hands are in water so much. I keep my fingernails super short and prefer a bare, clean look.

AshleyAnn
04-17-2014, 11:25 PM
I don't paint my fingernails. I'm blessed with naturally health nails that grow long nicely but if I pain them it always destroys the kertian on the top and they split.

I always always always paint my toenails something in the red/pink family. I hate anything dark or green/yellow/blue because it just looks creepy. At the beginning of football season I do the team colors alternating but it bothers me by homecoming

queenmama
04-18-2014, 12:42 AM

Same. I only have bold nails when it's fall/winter and you can't see my toes. In the warm months, it's often hard to keep up with both so I'll always choose my toes.

I hate looking at unpainted toe nails on other women. I never show my toes in public unless they're painted.

I have a serious hangup about this. Unpainted toenails skeeve me out. Hard.

Lara

smilequeen
04-18-2014, 12:58 AM
Toes...fun color. Fingers...light, natural, hint of color...or nothing.

Binkandabee
04-18-2014, 02:29 AM
I always have a french manicure on my fingers and then something more fun on my toes. I usually have them do a little painted flower on my big toe....and sometimes they even add small gems which I love!

123LuckyMom
04-18-2014, 07:54 AM
WhenI have polished fingernails, which is rare, I do a French manicure or clear/ver faintly tinted polish. I tend to go bold on my toes. I have only matched toes and fingers once, on my wedding day when I did the same very sheer, natural looking color on both.

wendibird22
04-18-2014, 09:34 AM
My toes are always polished and I choose whatever color strikes my fancy at the moment. Almost always it's something "fun", bold, sparkly, etc (they are currently turquoise). My fingernails are super super soft and so I keep them very short and though I love polish on my nails it makes them even more soft (or maybe it's the remover). That and polish chips w/in a day. When I do polish them I try to do trendy but pale colors (mint, lilac, etc).

lizzywednesday
04-18-2014, 09:40 AM
I prefer to have complementary colors on fingers & toes, but sometimes I just have to have a bold color on the toes (always the toes) with whatever I want on the fingers.

I've done the matchy-matchy thing in the past but find it boring.

I do not often do my own polish because I'm very sensitive to the fumes in standard polishes, but now that we've expanded our collection of Piggy Paint (ostensibly for DD), I find I'm more open to polish.

elbenn
04-18-2014, 10:14 AM
my toes are painted year round. my fingers are painted rarely. i got a manicure in January. before that, I got one I think two years before.

It's simply not worth it as they chip almost immediately since my hands are in water so much. I keep my fingernails super short and prefer a bare, clean look.

I usually have toe nails painted (at least in the summer), but also find that fingernails chip almost immediately and look worse than if they don't have any polish on them. I do have a nice nude nail polish that looks really nice and doesn't show when it chips, but even that is too much effort because it chips so quickly.

Binkandabee
04-18-2014, 12:44 PM
I usually have toe nails painted (at least in the summer), but also find that fingernails chip almost immediately and look worse than if they don't have any polish on them. I do have a nice nude nail polish that looks really nice and doesn't show when it chips, but even that is too much effort because it chips so quickly.

Have you tried a shelac/gel manicure? My polish used to chip within a day or two and then I discovered the shelac/gel manicure. The polish wears like iron. It does not chip and looks great for 2-3 weeks. The need to change it out is only because my nails have grown out...not because the polish is chipped. It's fantastic!

jgenie
04-18-2014, 01:41 PM
Pre-kids: both polished every week.

Post-kids: if you can see my toenails they are polished. Fingernails are polished if I can find the time to do them but mainly they stay unpolished.

My Nails must match in color. I could never have one color on my toes and a different color on my hands.

gatorsmom
04-18-2014, 01:55 PM
I rarely do my fingers but always do my toes. My toes are never without polish. I'm not a fan of blue or black but most other colors are ok.

I do like when my fingers are do e but they chip too fast (I don't pay for manicures). I feel like a cheap hooker when my polish is chipped.

:yeahthat: This is me exactly. My rules- no polish on fingers. Ever. I don't like the feel and hate when it chips. Toes are always painted, all year round. Toe nails clipped very short. I prefer pinks and orange polishes- specifically Dutch Tulips in winter, My Chahuahua Bites for summer. Almost always use OPI polishes (I'm not crazy about the Aveda polish Sparitual but love their pedicures so I deal).

TwoBees
04-18-2014, 01:59 PM
They only need to match or coordinate if you are going to some fancy event where your toes will be seen in open-toed shoes.

basil
04-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Kinda surprised by all the hate for unpainted toes! I never paint during the winter since I'm always in boots or slippers, and I think at some point my mom told me that leaving paint on all the time isn't good for nails (dunno how true that really is). I do keep nails short and clean though. I do paint them during the summer cause I like the look when I'm wearing open toed shoes, but never really occurred to me that unpainted toes were bad! I mean, my DH never paints his...?

I never paint my fingernails cause a) not allowed at my healthcare job and b) polish would last like 3 hours before chipping. Last time they were painted was my wedding in 2008.

mackmama
04-18-2014, 02:08 PM
I paint my fingernails maybe 2x year. My toes normally have polish in some fun color.

sidmand
04-18-2014, 10:03 PM
My toes are almost always polished and last summer I liked doing a different color on every toe. I never did my fingernails because they always chipped and even shellac didn't stay (and I hated having a lengthy removal process). But I just discovered Jamberry Nails like a PP mentioned and now I have "painted" nails that last. Different Jams on my toes but I've been playing around. I usually like them not to clash but I like darker on my toes and lighter on my fingers. DD likes to have her toes and nails match but likes to have a pattern (red, pink, blue, red, pink, blue).

mommylamb
04-18-2014, 10:15 PM
I tend to keep my toes polished in the summer when I'll be wearing sandals, but if I haven't had time to get a pedicure, I just put clear polish on them myself. I like dark reds for my toes when I get a pedi. I'm not good at painting them myself with anything with color so I tend to not bother. I rarely ever keep them painted in the winter.

Fingers are never polished. I keep my nails short.

Kindra178
04-18-2014, 10:58 PM
I only really like dark colors, like very dark browns. In the summer, I will do green or blue on my toes.

queenmama
04-19-2014, 01:12 AM
Kinda surprised by all the hate for unpainted toes! I never paint during the winter since I'm always in boots or slippers, and I think at some point my mom told me that leaving paint on all the time isn't good for nails (dunno how true that really is). I do keep nails short and clean though. I do paint them during the summer cause I like the look when I'm wearing open toed shoes, but never really occurred to me that unpainted toes were bad! I mean, my DH never paints his...?

Oh, I don't keep mine painted when it's the off season either! And I don't think unpainted toenails are "bad," they just seem icky to me somehow!

As for men, there are very few (read: zero) open-toed shoes that truly look good on men. Unless they're at the pool or beach, I don't want to see those grotty feet!

Again, this is *my* hangup. I realize that perfectly normal, lovely people don't give a rip about toenail polish. I might need therapy.

Lara

theriviera
04-20-2014, 10:39 PM
My toenails are always painted, but I live in an area where I can wear open toed shoes year round. I really enjoy having color on my nails but I hate when chip. I sometimes do gel manicures. I love the way that it looks but I don't like having to go every 2 weeks.

My toenails and fingernails only match when I do gel manicures.