PDA

View Full Version : Laid off - Any advice for steps to take?

sunnyside
04-18-2014, 03:36 PM

marymoo86
04-18-2014, 03:43 PM
Wow no severance? Did the company go bankrupt? I would go ahead and file unemployment and get that started.

Unsure are you looking to do work? Interested in contract jobs until you find other employment? Hard to advise without knowing a bit about your background/industry.

JustMe
04-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Probably nothing you already know, but apply for unemployment immediately. If you are laid off, you qualify. There is one waiting week (which you wont get paid for), but it can start the week after that.

Look into all of your local resources, as far as programs/scholarships/services that are available for low-income/no income families. This varies regionally of course, but there can be some very good resources--some of which may even be good for a while, so may continue to serve you even after you find a job/start your business.

OKKiddo
04-18-2014, 03:48 PM
I have no advice but I couldn't read and not reply. Big hugs and prayers headed your way.

lmh2402
04-18-2014, 08:46 PM
Hugs, OP. Sending many positive thoughts your way

wellyes
04-18-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm sorry- that's always tough news. Thank goodness for unemployment.

belovedgandp
04-18-2014, 10:37 PM
I don't know what your medical needs are for insurance, but cobra can be crazy expensive. There's a window (60 days I think) that you can retro actively go back and pay for it. DH had exactly two months between coverage with being laid off and getting his next position with benefits. We crossed our fingers and self-payed for a sick visit in that window of not having any coverage. Good to know we had the safety net that we could go back and get the coverage within that window if something catastrophic did happen. Otherwise I'd be looking into your self-insurance options are immediately.

larig
04-19-2014, 12:27 AM
This qualifies, I am sure, as an event which would qualify you to purchase insurance through the ACA, which might be cheaper than cobra. Sending you loads of pts and hugs.

sunnyside
04-20-2014, 12:23 AM

JustMe
04-20-2014, 12:47 AM
I'll be ok financially, but it's not going to be easy. But most of all, I feel like it was a pretty harsh thing to do to someone who was a loyal employee for this length of time. No severance... It feels personal. I have to admit I'm angry.

Wow, that is really awful. I am sorry.

Are you saying you think they laid you off b/c you were out getting medical care for your child? Or that the timing is just insensitive and harsh? Either way, it is terrible. However, if it is the first case (you think it was b/c you were out getting medical care), I would think you would be protected by FMLA. Like I said, either way it is terrible, though.

HannaAddict
04-20-2014, 01:34 AM
I'm so sorry. Did they specifically say you get nothing? Make sure they pay any accrued vacation days, if you have any. And file for unemployment immediately. Hope your little one is okay and so sorry. Did they say why? It just seems strange since you have been there so long. Take care.

Nooknookmom
04-20-2014, 03:13 AM
So sorry u are dealing with this bomb...What was the termination reason? Do uou have any recourse? this happened to me when DD1 (now 18) was about 3. Had been with the company almost 10 yrs. "I" was the bread winner. I carried the insurance! I was FREAKED out.

My company went under and fast he was not paying any subs, or anyone for that matter. I kinda knew it was coming but needed to stay there and take his heat (he fled to Norhern Cali and left ME to fend of his creditors who he owed millions to). I needed to stay to keep our ins as long as possible but I told all our workers (50 some roofers i managed) to hurry and find other employment.

Anyway...I filed unemployment begrudgingly bc I don't like handouts (I know it's not a handout) and I did find another job pretty fast. However I also took it personally bc initially he treated me like family. It was the first job I took when we moved to Cali from Chicagoland. I felt a part of the company and saw it grow and....fail.

I was SOOOOOO stressed and literally had a panic attack (I don't DO that!) and started the new job...the girls in the office refused to talk to me and I flipped, quit on the spot!

I had gotten my contractors license bc I also did painting with hubby for my old company (when their roofs leaked and needed repairs!) so I jumped into a new business right away.

I was frankly terrified. No insurance - my employer covered my entire premium, little savings, no steady paycheck. However it was the best thing bc I had to step up and learn new things I never would have learned if I had stayed there under their wing.

So maybe his door closed and a new one will open - you will be just fine.

I would recommend buying only what you need since you are in your own. Shop at Walmart for groceries if u can, hit thrift stores, .99 only stores. Pinch every penny u can. Slice bills that arent needed. change cable ckmal ies, revise your cell bill. BUT treat yourself once in a while or you will feel depressed.

What about your insurance? Cobra sucks and is $$. With this new DUMBOcare, can you even hop on two small individual plans-one for u and one for DD? It's cheaper to split it.

I'm rooting for you!

ahisma
04-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Definitely tackle the health insurance ASAP. Check your current policy, it may terminate immediately or it may terminate at the end of the month.

PP is correct, you do qualify to buy an Obamacare plan, this is a qualifying event. You may qualify for a plan, particularly for your DC, that is less expensive based on your unemployment status. I'd call some local orgs that help navigate insurance. If you PM me with your location I can help track one down, if that's helpful. Here, we have a program that is solely income based with no means testing. Not sure WHY they did it like that, but it's helpful in your situation.

liz
04-20-2014, 11:33 AM
Sorry to hear your news OP. DH company is going through some changes right now and he is feeling nervous. So no advice, but :hug:

trcy
04-20-2014, 03:36 PM
I am so sorry. DH has been laid off several times without any severance, it's tough. Like others had said, apply for unemployment ASAP. Also, apply for Medicaid and Food Stamps...it is there to help in tough times. Also, look at eliminating all unnecessary expenses. It is stressful, I really feel for you. :hug:

lizzywednesday
04-21-2014, 08:14 AM
DH was laid off without severance last month - they effectively paid him his unused PTO and cut him loose. They were expanding quite rapidly as well, but they were having cashflow issues due to several factors.

I got my announcement 2 weeks ago, but, as I work for a multi-national corporation and have seniority (of sorts), I got a better deal.

I don't know what to tell you other than to file for unemployment and look into SNAP & ACA plans to ensure that you're covered for health insurance, just in case.

And, well, hugs! It sucks to be in this position!!

janine
04-21-2014, 11:43 AM
That is awful, I am so sorry. Were they aware of your daughter's issues (ie the timing?). What was the reason for termination - by the sounds of it it sounds immediate (rather than 2 weeks, having formal discussion,etc).

I think severance pay is discretionary but is typically expected especially after a long term career like this. I'm guessing with a small family company there are no policies on this (severance policy). See if you have a case to negotiate something - I think this is why many of us are asking what reason for termination was.

Good luck, you wil find something soon I'm sure.

sunnyside
04-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Thank you everyone.

sunnyside
04-22-2014, 12:14 PM

daisyd
04-22-2014, 12:14 PM
So sorry you're dealing with this. hugs.

sunnyside
04-22-2014, 12:17 PM

div_0305
04-22-2014, 12:44 PM
I think companies usually pay severance to get you to sign an agreement to waive any employment actions against them in exchange. It sucks that they seem to have targeted you despite having their business grow. I'd never heard to companies laying off folks when there was work for them to do. Looking at the bright side of at-will employment law, it's better than being terminated for future employment purposes though.

sunnyside
04-24-2014, 02:56 PM