PDA

View Full Version : If you have a Breville SmartOven?

lcarlson90
04-18-2014, 03:51 PM
1. Do you love it?
2. Is it easy to use to toast bagels and waffles?

We have a 12 year old Delonghi toaster oven that still works so DH doesn't think we need a new one but it looks old and dirty. I am trying to convince DH that we need one.

Kindra178
04-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Love it. Toast bagels, waffles or English muffins every day in it. I make frozen pizza, roasted veggies or anything else requiring an oven in there.

MMMommy
04-18-2014, 04:11 PM
Love it! Highly recommend. Most even cooking I've ever gotten out of a toaster oven. I recommend getting the large sized one, as that has the convection feature. The smaller sized one does not have convection.

mikala
04-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Love it. Toast bagels, waffles or English muffins every day in it. I make frozen pizza, roasted veggies or anything else requiring an oven in there.

Same here. I use it for toasting and pretty much anytime I'm making something that will fit on a quarter sheet pan or in a 9x9 pyrex. Pretty much any frozen foods, homemade banana bread, brownies, small quantities of cookies, toasting nuts or breadcrumbs, roasted broccoli or sweet potatoes. On holidays I bake a casserole in it while my oven is full of turkey and whatever else.

My standard oven takes a while to preheat and this is sooooo much faster. I use it at least once a day.

TwinFoxes
04-18-2014, 04:21 PM
I love it so much. Especially in the summer when I just need to cook sweet potato fries or something and don't want to heat up the big oven. It's great for bagels, waffles, or anything else. I've roasted chicken breasts in it before. Bought one for MIL first, after reading raves on this board. Then I couldn't resist, and bought one for myself. So glad I did. I have the full size one, not the smaller one.

Love the "frozen" setting, it really does work great for frozen waffles etc. I do think it takes a tad bit longer for simple toast, but maybe I'm just more aware because there's a timer ticking down. It's quicker to preheat than my oven is.

NCGrandma
04-18-2014, 06:08 PM
Love mine, too! I have the compact smart oven (now the middle size, since Breville has come out with an even smaller mini). For just me, I couldn't justify either the extra $$ or the extra counter space for the full size smart oven, although the convection feature sounded interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

essnce629
04-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Same here. I use it for toasting and pretty much anytime I'm making something that will fit on a quarter sheet pan or in a 9x9 pyrex. Pretty much any frozen foods, homemade banana bread, brownies, small quantities of cookies, toasting nuts or breadcrumbs, roasted broccoli or sweet potatoes. On holidays I bake a casserole in it while my oven is full of turkey and whatever else.

My standard oven takes a while to preheat and this is sooooo much faster. I use it at least once a day.

Can I ask what makes the Breville Smart Oven so much better than a regular large toaster oven? I have a $79 Black & Decker toaster oven with convection and I use it daily as well for all the things mentioned above. Just wondering if there's anything I'm missing out on since it's a $170 difference. DH makes frozen pizzas in it all the time and I always bake brownies, etc in it. I still use my regular oven for roasting veggies since I do a lot at once (1-2 full size baking sheets).

This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-CTO6335S-Countertop-Convection/dp/B0043E6PLC

elliput
04-18-2014, 06:14 PM
I have the larger oven with convection and we use it at least once a day, though I have not toasted bagels or waffles. One feature I have been using quite frequently is the "reheat" function. The turntable for our microwave is packed in who-knows-which box out in the garage, so this is my backup method of reheating takes a bit longer, but it works quite well.

basil
04-18-2014, 07:53 PM
I have the smallest one (no convection) - I guess it's the mini? Honestly, it's not any better than any other high quality toaster oven, IMO, though I do like the way it looks. We bought it because our old B&D started smoking.

I mean, it works well and toasts stuff just fine and we use it to heat up small amounts of frozen foods (like sweet potato fries for DS, etc.), but it wasn't a life-changing appliance for me.

TwinFoxes
04-19-2014, 05:59 AM
Can I ask what makes the Breville Smart Oven so much better than a regular large toaster oven? I have a $79 Black & Decker toaster oven with convection and I use it daily as well for all the things mentioned above. Just wondering if there's anything I'm missing out on since it's a $170 difference. DH makes frozen pizzas in it all the time and I always bake brownies, etc in it. I still use my regular oven for roasting veggies since I do a lot at once (1-2 full size baking sheets).

This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-CTO6335S-Countertop-Convection/dp/B0043E6PLC

I haven't used another, so I can't say. What sold me was the near universal raves for the Breville. Even from my MIL, who is not a fancy appliance kind of person. The B&D could be just as good, and you saved yourself $170.

ETA: reading the reviews, it seems a lot of people complain the B&D gets too hot on the outside, which the Breville does not, it gets warm but not super hot. And little things like the keys making annoying beeps (Breville uses dials, no beeps), and the digital display being hard to read because it's not backlit. The Breville's is. Lastly, the Breville is slightly bigger on the inside, a 13" pizza vs a 12" pizza fits, and my regular 9x13 pan fits, one reviewer mentioned hers did not fit he B&D. Whether that's worth $170 is the question. :shrug:

TwoBees
04-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Love it. The best, most-used kitchen appliance we have. We have the smallest version (I think). We use it for toast and waffles, pizza, steak, hamburgers, chicken, almost anything you do in the oven. We use it more often than just the oven because we are usually only preparing food for me and DH (DD1 eats hardly anything :irked: and DD2 isn't eating solids yet). I think it is worth the money, but we did wait for a sale at Williams Sonoma before we bought it.

ETA: We have the Compact Smart Oven, not the mini.