PDA

View Full Version : kitchen appliance faves?

lmh2402
04-18-2014, 09:08 PM
we're working with an architect to lay out plans for our remodeled kitchen

he has suggested that it is best to have at least a very good idea of the appliances we're hoping to go with so that we have a best-possible sense of dimensions - we're going to be eeking every bit of space possible.

my wants - a big range, double ovens, microwave drawer, warming drawer, big & quiet dishwasher, DH wants an "awesome fridge"

i'm totally unsure of where to even start figuring all this out

if you have an appliance you love, please tell me about it!

thanks

JBaxter
04-18-2014, 10:42 PM
HH Gregg if you have one. I have never met more knowledgeable sales people ( in 2 different states) He gave me the ins outs and sizes of everything I bought ( washer / dryer , microwave, fridge & stove at different times)

HannaAddict
04-18-2014, 10:55 PM
We have the most amazing refrigerator freezer ever. Until we saw and bought this house, we had never seen this combination this big, and still haven't seen it except in magazines. It is a SZ 36" all freezer and SZ 36" all refrigerator. http://www.subzero-wolf.com/builtin-refrigerators/BI-36F-all-freezer Ours are next to each other and look like one unit, as we have the all one piece trim kit on top. We really did think about this refrigerator after looking at this house. And we use it, it is amazing. If you have the room for it and budget, I would get one again. We also have a 60" gas range, with double ovens that is amazing too. Wolf, much prefer it to Viking. We love our Miele dishwashers too and they hold a ton and are near silent. None are "bargains" but all are excellent and will last. It is a huge kitchen so can handle the large appliances. A big difference from our very nice but much smaller last house. There we had a nice Kitchenaid counter depth french door refrigerator, and regular gas range/ovens. If you buy Wolf and SZ together, they usually have deals to knock off quite a bit too. Good luck and have fun shopping.

123LuckyMom
04-18-2014, 11:08 PM
HannaAddict's dimensions are right on. You want 36" for an awesome fridge and 60" for an awesome range. Double ovens require a 33" cabinet, if I'm remembering correctly. The ovens are 31", but you need to anchor them.

ETA: Many people I know have had LOTS of problems with their Subzero refrigerators. You might want to consider a different brand.

momof2girls
04-19-2014, 12:13 AM
No necessarily an appliance, but my absolute favorite thing in my new kitchen is the instant hot. Helps with oatmeal, coffee, tea, gets pot on the stove to boil quicker. By far the best thing in the kitchen for me!

sste
04-19-2014, 12:25 AM
Love our wolf range with griddle - - make pancakes every weekend. For dishwasher I would get one of the Bosch ones that take a panel - - I love miele too but bosch is much less expensive with pretty similar performance. I am torn on refrigerators, why can't someone build an affordable fully integrated refrigerator! If money was no object would probably do a subzero for resale, integration, wood panels etc but in general I think big money is best spent on range/oven which will last much longer than frig and dishwasher. I don't think most people use their warming drawers, I never did. People seem to love the island microwave.

HannaAddict
04-19-2014, 01:44 AM
We looked at several older homes that had 20-25 year old sub zeros still going strong that you couldn't tell were that old! They have a good warranty too. My step-moms consumer reported Samsung French door leaks everywhere and "can't be fixed" after a year and Samsung wouldn't replace it. We had our Kitchenaid repaired once under warranty but so far no issues with SZ, knock on wood! But they are pricey. I liked the same dimension Miele refrigerators too. We rarely use our griddle but so use the grill on the Wolf. Mainly grilled veggies and steak. I was going to skip the grill but our friend talked us into it and surprised how well it works and that the range good can make
It fine to use indoors too. Friends like their Bosch dw'a so I would consider those too.

khalloc
04-19-2014, 06:48 AM
I have a 36" Bluestar RNB gas range. It has more BTU power than Wolf and the star shaped burners heat more evenly than the Wolf as well. We love it!

egoldber
04-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Do you mean a range AND double ovens? Usually you have one or the other.

We have had a Viking cooktop for many years (in our old house and put the same one in our new house): http://www.vikingrange.com/consumer/product/products/cooking/cooktops/professional-cooktops/gas-cooktops/30--gas-cooktop---vgc (Ours is an older version without the 5th burner.)

We also have these double wall ovens: http://www.vikingrange.com/consumer/product/products/cooking/ovens/professional-ovens/30--double-ovens/30--double-electric-select-oven---vedo#product-overview

HannaAddict
04-19-2014, 11:42 AM
I have a 36" Bluestar RNB gas range. It has more BTU power than Wolf and the star shaped burners heat more evenly than the Wolf as well. We love it!

Bluestone are nice but there is much debate on the house forums about heating and don't think this is accurate in our experience. :)

basil
04-19-2014, 12:31 PM
It depends a ton on your budget and size of kitchen….also don't overdo it too much for your neighborhood.

The Wolf/SZ stuff HannaAddict mentions is definitely awesome, but really big. In my area, you wouldn't see that until you hit about 1.75-2 mil. Your space must be VERY large to accommodate that. My friend had a $1-1.3 mil home and had a 48" SZ fridge, 36" range, single Wolf wall oven w microwave over, and two dishwashers. It was a very nice set of appliances and she loved it, but it was a huge kitchen. SHe built again (smaller kitchen, same price range, diff neighborhood) and did a 36" SZ, 36" wolf range, SZ beverage fridge and DW.

Our house was not nearly that expensive or large, and we ended up with a 36" built-in Kitchenaid fridge, 36" Bluestar range top, Sharp drawer microwave, Electrolux double ovens and beverage fridge, Bosch paneled DW. We are very happy with all. We could have spent more on Wolf/SZ, but would not have increased the value of our home, and probably only very marginal improvements in quality if any.

brittone2
04-19-2014, 08:24 PM
Love our miele dw.

hellokitty
04-19-2014, 08:35 PM
I love my gas/electric convection stove and oven electrolux. If we move, I will have to hug it before I leave. It's so nice. I have friends with subzero fridges that have been a pita to deal with. I'd want a miele dishwasher, d's coworker got it and says it blows away their old bosch.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

khalloc
04-19-2014, 09:04 PM
Bluestone are nice but there is much debate on the house forums about heating and don't think this is accurate in our experience. :)

Huh? Debate about heating?

Twoboos
04-19-2014, 09:46 PM
I was set to go Electrolux cooktop and oven, Samsung fridge. We ended up going Wolf/SZ. We have had a couple of problems (induction cooktop has already been replaced, after like 3mos) but the CS has been great and very responsive. I think I need to call them again as we are getting hollow ice cubes from the ice maker - totally weird!

Miele dishwasher is loooovely. It's silently running as I type. I actually just checked to make sure it's running.

I love our GE Advantium speed oven. We have this and a single oven, so it's like having a double oven and microwave and speed oven.