PDA

View Full Version : Please, Pleeease tell me this is a first grade thing...

Jacksmommy2b
04-20-2014, 11:19 PM
I am so sick of sick! I have been sick and taken care of the sick more times in the past seven months of first grade than in the past seven years combined! I swear we are doing a stomach bug every other month and colds and viruses in between. We're all sick, again, and we're going on two weeks as it works it's way though us. We don't do shoes in the house and I am damn near obsessive about hand washing, oh and I know they use a ton of sanitizer at school since I supply an enormous bottle every month! I just don't get it!

Is this common for first grade? Is this just how it goes every year with kids in full time school? (Dear God, I can't imagine doing this every year) We did 2 years of preschool and half day kindy and he did get sick but this is just ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lalasmama
04-20-2014, 11:36 PM
DD is one that "never" gets sick... And had a runny nose probably 90% of her 1st grade year. Good news, though, is that it seems to be the only year that it's so bad, at least in DD's case. We still have occasional runny noses, but not as many as that first year.

maydaymommy
04-20-2014, 11:45 PM
I think you might be in my area? Not sure, but I have never seen a run of such pervasive viruses. In ds2's preschool there was a class with half the kids out. ds1 was sick & missed school for a couple of days for three weeks in a row. They both had some version of a high fever that comes and goes, with or without upper respiratory symptoms. Lots of friends in surrounding areas/neighborhoods have kids who have been sick with the same stuff and huge numbers of sick kids missing school.

All this just to say that yes, I think there's possibly more sickness to get used to when a kid starts school, especially if it's with a new group of peers. But, I also think that this year is particularly bad.

Jacksmommy2b
04-20-2014, 11:51 PM
That sounds like what we're fighting now along with more vomiting for good measure.

You know it has been a rough one when cleaning vomit off of things doesn't phase me at all anymore!

Thanks for the commiseration, I'm really praying we're all just paying our dues and next year won't be so bad. I can't imagine making it through another school year like this with my sanity intact!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JustMe
04-20-2014, 11:58 PM
I can't really say that first grade was particularly bad for us.

However, I can say that this year seems to be brutal for so many people.

wencit
04-21-2014, 01:02 AM
I'm on Tapatalk right now so I can't see your location, but I read an article a few days ago about how a second round of flu-like illnesses is going around the East Coast these days. The scientist said normally flu activity starts to die down around now, but for whatever reason, they are seeing an uptick in recent weeks. So maybe it's not so much a first grade thing as it is a "this year is bad" thing?

Hope everyone is feeling better soon!

egoldber
04-21-2014, 06:42 AM
My kids are also among those that don't really get sick, but a LOT of people we know have been very sick this year. We've had notes from from school about strep, bacterial meningitis!, and norovirus. DH got noro a couple weeks ago on a work trip, poor guy, but luckily none of us had it. But they closed a school near us for noro, so I think it has been an awful year.

I don't think there is anything special about first grade though, it's just whatever year happens to be a bad one for your area.

belovedgandp
04-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Each one of my kids seems to pick a year to be sick. Of course never the same year or the same days, but then they are good for another 3+ years.

DS1 missed a ton of 2nd grade. He's in 4th and that was his only year with more than a day or two of illness from preschool on.

DS2 - horrible time in kindy. Out a good hunk of two months; only in first now but that was his only bad year.

Not sure if there's a method to the madness. I think sometimes they get that one thing and it just wears them down so they catch everything else that comes around for the next few months.

daisysmom
04-21-2014, 09:09 AM
I can't really say that first grade was particularly bad for us.

However, I can say that this year seems to be brutal for so many people.

This. My DD has been in full time school for years. The first year of 5 day preschool she got sick more than usual. But this year has been brutal - strep and pneumonia. I have talked to several people who basically say that the cold miserable winter for us (mid Atlantic) lowered everyone's immunity and there was much more sickness than usual.

maestramommy
04-21-2014, 04:47 PM
Wow, that's brutal! :hug:

I did hear that various bugs were sweeping through the schools, but we survived mostly unscathed. My kids hardly ever get sick. Funny thing though, this year DD3 was sick a good portion of November. First a cold, then a tummy bug, then another cold, then the tummy bug again, though the ped thought it was the first one still working its way out. She's been fine since Christmas though.

StantonHyde
04-21-2014, 07:24 PM
The research does show that kids who were in day care get sick a lot as toddlers but then don't get sick in K/first grade. Kids who were not in day care get sick in K/first grade but don't get sick as toddlers. This certainly held up with my kids!!

emily_gracesmama
04-21-2014, 10:05 PM
This year has been a bad one for us as well for the first grader but not the third grader. I am going to chalk it up to my third grader being more diligent on handwashing and such. My first grader has been sent home sick with fevers 3 x in the past 3 weeks and each time she has missed another 2 days after that.

Nooknookmom
04-21-2014, 10:32 PM
Anytime my kids are in any grade I get sick...so I don't think I would specify first grade...sorry :(! Feel better!!

erosenst
04-23-2014, 09:59 PM
I just told DD's (10) ped that she has been sick more this year than K-3 combined...and maybe more than preschool/daycare too. Her teacher agrees that there has been way more going around this year, and a lot of it is lasting longer than usual as well. She's missed 4 days of school twice, and 1-3 days at least 3 other times. She was also sick for a week last summer.

Hang in there -