PDA

View Full Version : DD complaining her permanent teeth are wiggly?

khalloc
04-21-2014, 09:10 AM
So DD is about 8.5 years old. She lost her top 4 and bottom 4 front teeth within 1 year. So it started in October of 2011 and ended in October 2012 - so 8 teeth lost during that time and of course 8 new teeth grew in!

Her mouth is extremely small and crowded with these new teeth. I mean there are teeth everywhere and some are in front of others. I am making an appointment for a consultation with an orthodontist today. When I was a kid I had some adult teeth removed because my mouth was small so I suspect she will need to have the same thing done.

Anyways, she is complaining that various permanent teeth on the bottom are wiggly. She is really worried about it! I think this is probably somewhat normal when you have a small mouth and too many teeth. But does anyone know for sure? Will these 2nd teeth just fall out? I kind of doubt it but she is pretty anxious about it. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I had many teeth pulled as a child and I think I had some baby teeth removed to make way for my permanent teeth. At one point my dentist wanted an oral surgeon to dig down and extract adult teeth that hadnt even erupted yet! Luckily the oral surgeon voted for just waiting for those teeth to come in before we pulled them out.

lalasmama
04-21-2014, 09:18 AM
DD has a small mouth too. Her dentist removed multiple baby teeth in an effort to let the adult ones come in straighter and have more room to move. Not sure if this would work in your DD's situation. My DD is still going to need braces big time, but until then, at least there's a little room in there with the pulled-early teeth.

egoldber
04-21-2014, 09:22 AM
Definitely do that ortho consult soon. I wonder if she is getting her 6 year molars late? My older DD got some at age 7/8 because she has been slow to get all her teeth.

When I was a kid I had some adult teeth removed because my mouth was small so I suspect she will need to have the same thing done.

They try very hard now NOT to remove permanent teeth in children for this reason. I had the same thing done as a child and I am now (mid 40s) starting to deal with the repercussions of this. My teeth positions have become unstable and my bite is terrible and I grind partially as a result of this. My dentist says she sees this not uncommonly in adults who had permanent teeth pulled as children. Older DD had a similar issue and her ortho used an expander. And while the process at the time was a bit wretched, her teeth are now all beautiful and straight with no need to remove permanent teeth.

Simon
04-21-2014, 09:26 AM
That would worry me, too. Is it her first molar? I think she has 4 more baby teeth to lose, so it could just be those. Or, sometimes a nutritional deficiency can cause teeth to become loose. Hopefully, the BBB dental experts will chime in.

khalloc
04-21-2014, 09:58 AM
I think her molars might be coming in? I kind of forgot about molars honestly. I'll have to check that tonight. I am talking about the front teeth on the bottom. The 4 teeth that go across the front (bottom jaw). There are 1 or 2 that are wiggly. They go off and on though. One day wiggly, the next day she says its better, etc...DH is calling the orthodontist this morning.

Nooknookmom
04-21-2014, 10:42 AM
My friends DD - who is now 18...has always had very wiggly permanent teeth. In fact my friends a bit on the panicky side with stuff like that and rushed her back to he Ortho one day after her dr mentioned it. All is well with her kiddo - he teeth are just wiggly, infect her dd remembers wiggling them as far back as 8.

I would still have it ck'd out but I'd use caution removing permanent teeth too early. My dd may need some baby teeth removed down the line bc her molars ARE going in and she is almost 7, hasn't ost any teeth yet.

I has a darn dentist instruct me to remove some molars in lieu of pulling my wisdom teeth and I regret it.

khalloc
04-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Thanks. No dentist has talked about removing teeth yet. I just thought thats what they did since thats what I had done back in the 80s. I guess its not the "norm" anymore. Maybe she will need an expander or something along those lines. DH is supposed to be calling today because he wants to bring her when he goes in for his regular check (he got braces off last year).