PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a veggie wash?

Soccermomm
04-21-2014, 01:19 PM
i was wondering if anyone here has researched veggie washes. If so, can you tell me more about them and which one you use? Thanks for any help.

lmh2402
04-21-2014, 01:22 PM
i have a spray bottle next to my sink that has white vinegar & water. i use that on my fruit & veggies

marymoo86
04-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Yep.just white vinegar and water

wendibird22
04-21-2014, 01:28 PM
I just rinse under cold water.

Soccermomm
04-21-2014, 01:32 PM
What is the ratio of water to vinegar that you use?

ZeeBaby
04-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Can you also link the spray bottle you use?

lmh2402
04-21-2014, 02:01 PM
i don't measure - just pour in a good amount of vinegar and then add cool water.

i just use a basic spray bottle from home depot that i washed out really well first.

Mommy_Mea
04-21-2014, 02:01 PM
I use roughly 1 to 10, but I don't measure...

ZeeBaby
04-21-2014, 02:06 PM
Thank you

hellokitty
04-21-2014, 02:36 PM
I use 7th generation and like it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

wifecat
04-21-2014, 06:36 PM
What is the ratio of water to vinegar that you use?

Mine's a 50/50 mix.

BunnyBee
04-21-2014, 06:48 PM
I don't measure. Just a good glug or two of vinegar and maybe a drop of dish soap for really gross things like strawberries and grapes.

MamaSnoo
04-21-2014, 11:42 PM
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the advantage of the vinegar rinse over plain water alone?

Also, if you use the vinegar rinse, do you rinse a second time with plain water to rinse the vinegar smell/taste off?

We use vinegar for lots around here, but I have never used it for this yet, so I am curious. TIA!

calebsmama03
04-21-2014, 11:52 PM
I use full strength vinegar and (in a separate bottle- do NOT mix in same bottle) hydrogen peroxide- spritz one, then the other then rinse (or rub then rinse, depending what I'm washing). I read an article (linked here many years ago, I think!) about how it kills many bacteria better than bleach. I find them much more effective than vinegar alone (and undiluted vinegar seems to get the waxy coatings off better than diluted so since it's so cheap anyway I don't see a reason to dilute). I used to use a commercially made veggie wash but this is so much cheaper.

This isn't the article, it was an actual research paper, but this gives the basic info http://www.michaelandjudystouffer.com/judy/articles/vinegar.htm I also use for disinfecting my surfaces after cooking meat. After cooking chicken I like to do the HP first, then vinegar then wipe and spray with HP again to make sure it is no longer foaming up with bacteria.

essnce629
04-22-2014, 01:47 AM
I just use water. But I use a 50/50 vinegar and water mix to clean my entire house!

HannaAddict
04-22-2014, 04:19 AM
Nope. Not needed according to food borne illness lawyer friend's expert witnesses. But we wash thoroughly with water and never, ever buy the bags of lettuce already combined or salad mix. They are incredibly riskier no matter how much you wash them.

Mommy_Mea
04-22-2014, 06:21 AM
The vinegar makes the rinse more effective in rinsing off pesticides and other residues, that is my reason for using it.

I do rinse with plain water after the vinegar.

123LuckyMom
04-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Vinegar kills bacteria. It's an amazing item! It's edible, obviously, and you don't need to rinse it off if you don't feel like it. The smell/taste goes away as soon as it dries.

You can use vinegar to clean almost anything. I use it instead of about a billion different cleaners and in the laundry. It even kills mold and mildew. It's also great in a tepid bath for soothing sunburn. You smell like a pickle for about 5 minutes, but the smell goes away very quickly.

I wash all my food in vinegar, especially chicken, because it kills salmonella. Now that fruits and veggies are subject to salmonella, too, I was those in vinegar as well, even though I buy organic. Vinegar will clean your veggies far better than plain water and, I imagine, would be far healthier to ingest than a chemical veggie wash.

BunnyBee
04-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the advantage of the vinegar rinse over plain water alone?

Also, if you use the vinegar rinse, do you rinse a second time with plain water to rinse the vinegar smell/taste off?

We use vinegar for lots around here, but I have never used it for this yet, so I am curious. TIA!

I dump the bowl and fill with cold water, swish, and dump into a colander. Do an experiment to see if it's worthwhile to you. I did half the grapes in plain water and half in water with vinegar and a drop of soap. The vinegar water had way more gunk in it. I've done it with u-pick strawberries too. It's not a scientific experiment, and maybe it is all dirt or edible food wax that would just "pass on through," but I keep doing it! :)

AnnieW625
04-23-2014, 06:46 PM
No, just plain water!

Sweetum
04-23-2014, 08:46 PM
i ususally fill up a bowl with water and put the veggies/fruit in there. I usually add salt or vinegar to the water and let it sit for a while. I was recently looking at the ingredients of a veggie wash at trader joe's and they had oil of oregano which I know is a bacteria killer. I am thinking of trying that. I am also thinking of using that for a hand sanitizer instead of the alcohol based one.

ahisma
04-23-2014, 11:14 PM
Water + Dr. Bronners. Really, my goal is to scrub the waxy coating off. Things without a waxy coating just get water and rubbing.

Most of our produce is organic, local if possible. We try to buy from farms that we trust. Most of them have pretty comprehensive washing regimens.