PDA

View Full Version : Boston Marathon- have you run it? Or other big races

SnuggleBuggles
04-21-2014, 01:42 PM
My friend just ran it for the first time. It was a long time goal. Me? I don't aspire to that. :) But, I like to live vicariously through others. Have you run it? If so, how was it? Did you cross that goal off your list or do you want to do it again? Or have you moved on to something else (what?)?

I ran a half marathon and feel pretty good about that. I'll do that again so I can improve my time. Every time I say I have no plans to do more running stuff, I am reminded of my aunt who didn't start running til her late 40s and now has traveled the world doing ultra marathons. She had no plans to ever do something like that so I know never say never!

wellyes
04-21-2014, 02:50 PM
I know a few people running the marathon today. it is not easy to qualify for! I admire anyone who even gets to try it, seriously.

SnuggleBuggles
04-21-2014, 02:51 PM
I know! My friend worked for many years to qualify. He just missed it one time.

MelissaTC
04-21-2014, 04:25 PM
Not me but my DH runs a half every year for his birthday. He wouldn't qualify for Boston or NYC but I'm impressed with him, considering he just started running a few years ago.

specialp
04-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Not me, but DH has run 3 and Boston is on his list.

mom_hanna
04-21-2014, 05:05 PM
Yes, I qualified and ran it in 2010. For me, it was a one time thing though as it is a very expensive trip to do year after year. It is definitely one of a kind, unlike any other marathon i've ever run and I am glad to have gotten the chance to run it!

SnuggleBuggles
04-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Congratulations!! What a great accomplishment!

Dh's friend ran it for the 3rd time today. He said last year was his last year but last year he was 2 minutes over 3 hours and that annoyed him. He wanted to come in under 3 hours.

Alas, he finished in 3h and 17seconds! I wonder if he will do it again next year??

KrisM
04-21-2014, 06:35 PM
I did the Dublin marathon in 2000. I walked it in 6:43. I was part of Team in Training for the Leukemia Society.

StantonHyde
04-21-2014, 07:21 PM
I have plans to move up to Olympic distance tris in the next year or so. Then I have dreams of doing a half Iron Man when DD starts driving and is really independent. And the year she leaves for college, I figure I can work out my grief by training for an Iron Man--I will be 58 by then. We'll see how it goes!!!

mom_hanna
04-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Dh's friend ran it for the 3rd time today. He said last year was his last year but last year he was 2 minutes over 3 hours and that annoyed him. He wanted to come in under 3 hours.

Alas, he finished in 3h and 17seconds! I wonder if he will do it again next year??

hahaha. If it were me, I would have to run it again! Luckily, I am no where near going under 3 hours so that isn't a problem I have!

daisysmom
04-21-2014, 08:52 PM
15 years ago I ran the marine corps marathon and in doing so, qualified for Boston with 6 seconds to spare. I ran marine corps in 3:40:54 and you round down for qualification... So I was shocked when I found out I made it. I never ran the Boston tho, ran a smaller thon the year after my marine corps run and then Got engaged shortly thereafter and immediately started trying to get pregnant. I am a recreational runner now, I look fondly back at my more serious running days but I couldn't commit enough time to get back where I was. I am proud when I see dd run though - she has a great running stride and enjoys it like I do... Likely bc she went for daily runs with me in the Bob for 4-5 years. I wish I had another run in me but I don't think I do.

jenmcadams
04-21-2014, 09:31 PM
I have plans to move up to Olympic distance tris in the next year or so. Then I have dreams of doing a half Iron Man when DD starts driving and is really independent. And the year she leaves for college, I figure I can work out my grief by training for an Iron Man--I will be 58 by then. We'll see how it goes!!!

You can do it! I took a slightly crazy approach and went straight to Oly distance (my first tri ever was a Olympic distance called Boulder Peak that has a notoriously difficult bike) and then did an Ironman (IM Wisconsin) thirteen months later (my DD was two, then I promptly got pregnant with DS). I was 32 and weighed about 15 lbs less than I do now. I've done some shorter tris since (Olympic and Sprints), but training for an Ironman is so time consuming. I enjoyed the process and was lucky to have a training partner to do the 6 hour bike rides with, but I'm not sure I'll do another. Right now I'm pretty out of shape and would have a hard time doing a Spring.

Pennylane
04-21-2014, 09:32 PM
The most I have ever ran is 5 miles. I am in awe of people who do marathons!

Ann

mommy111
04-22-2014, 12:13 AM
Never ran it, will never be fit enough to, but reclaimed my memories today. I was afraid after last year that the marathon would always for me be tainted by the memories of last year, the awful mayhem, the fearful manhunt, the anticlimactic story of two repulsive drug runner brothers on a cowardly rampage who eventually ended up destroying each other, instead of memories of watching from my lab window as the runners wrapped in their silver wrappers and water bottles limped happily down the streets on an invariably beautiful spring day. Today I reclaimed those memories of spring blossoms and magnolias and tired-ecstatic runners and a beautiful sunny spring day. It's like a sad story that turns out to have a happy ending. I really do feel like we, in Boston, reclaimed our finish line and the Boston Marathon.
of course this is totally OT but I had to say it :)

3isEnough
04-22-2014, 12:51 AM
I've never run Boston and likely would never qualify for it (maybe I will when I'm 80 ;)), but I've run New York, Seattle, San Diego and several Los Angeles. They are SO much fun, if only the training wasn't so time consuming and arduous. I keep telling myself I have one more marathon in me, I just have to wait until my kids are older so I have time to train.

mom_hanna
04-22-2014, 10:46 AM
Never ran it, will never be fit enough to, but reclaimed my memories today. I was afraid after last year that the marathon would always for me be tainted by the memories of last year, the awful mayhem, the fearful manhunt, the anticlimactic story of two repulsive drug runner brothers on a cowardly rampage who eventually ended up destroying each other, instead of memories of watching from my lab window as the runners wrapped in their silver wrappers and water bottles limped happily down the streets on an invariably beautiful spring day. Today I reclaimed those memories of spring blossoms and magnolias and tired-ecstatic runners and a beautiful sunny spring day. It's like a sad story that turns out to have a happy ending. I really do feel like we, in Boston, reclaimed our finish line and the Boston Marathon.

I love this. I love Boston and am so glad you feel this way!

lizzywednesday
04-22-2014, 11:21 AM
I haven't run a marathon, but I've walked the equivalent in a multi-day charity walk (the Avon 2-Day) 4 times.

My mother met my stepfather when they were both training for the NYC Marathon with the NY Road Runners club; if an injury and perimenopause hadn't sidelined her, she would have run it in 1994 or '95. My stepfather has finished it at least twice, maybe more. He was not an elite runner, but enjoyed the camaraderie of the Road Runners groups.

I have a friend who has done the NYC Marathon at least once; I think he's planning on running again in 2015. If I can get into better shape in the next couple of years, I might look into it in 2017 as a way to send off my 30's (I'll be 40 in 2018.) I don't know if I would do a qualifier event series or if I would petition to be part of a charity team, though. It would all depend on the time I want to invest in non-training preparation.

Even if you are not an "elite" runner, I think it's quite an accomplishment to finish a marathon - many of the routes are very challenging in their terrain or other "obstacles" and it's supposed to be a great time.

StantonHyde
04-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Congratulations!! What a great accomplishment!

Oh you know he will!!! I would! But then again, my dream time would be wayyyy longer than 3 hours!!

StantonHyde
04-22-2014, 12:06 PM
You can do it! I took a slightly crazy approach and went straight to Oly distance (my first tri ever was a Olympic distance called Boulder Peak that has a notoriously difficult bike) and then did an Ironman (IM Wisconsin) thirteen months later (my DD was two, then I promptly got pregnant with DS). I was 32 and weighed about 15 lbs less than I do now. I've done some shorter tris since (Olympic and Sprints), but training for an Ironman is so time consuming. I enjoyed the process and was lucky to have a training partner to do the 6 hour bike rides with, but I'm not sure I'll do another. Right now I'm pretty out of shape and would have a hard time doing a Spring.

I just did the Nankoweap Trail into the Grand Canyon. It took us 11 freaking hours with 50 pound packs to go 11 miles over 5,000 feet. The last 3 miles was down 3K feet. Oh, and there was a gale force wind that kept threatening to blow us over the edge!! That trail is BRUTAL. On the flip side. I figure if I can do that, can sure as heck do a half IM!!!! Just have to wait till the kids get older and can be left longer so I can train.

Thanks for the encouragement!!!! (can't believe you did an Oly first--you must have already been a big runner/biker. Or you were just crazy ;) )

StantonHyde
04-22-2014, 12:09 PM

Ahhhh thanks for posting this!!!! A friend of mine from Brookline ran her first marathon ever as part of a charity team. It's all about overcoming adversity.

In Salt Lake City, last year the SLC marathon was the Saturday after Boston. The SLC marathon offered free entry to anybody who wore their Boston shirts. There were a number of people who did it. I was impressed. It was pouring rain and cold and these people had just run another marathon 5 days earlier. But they did it--just to prove they could and would come back.

AWESOME!!!

mommy111
04-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Ahhhh thanks for posting this!!!! A friend of mine from Brookline ran her first marathon ever as part of a charity team. It's all about overcoming adversity.

In Salt Lake City, last year the SLC marathon was the Saturday after Boston. The SLC marathon offered free entry to anybody who wore their Boston shirts. There were a number of people who did it. I was impressed. It was pouring rain and cold and these people had just run another marathon 5 days earlier. But they did it--just to prove they could and would come back.

AWESOME!!!

I love this. I love Boston and am so glad you feel this way!
awww, thank you ladies for indulging me!! :)

AnnieW625
04-23-2014, 10:14 AM
No as I live on the opposite coast. I might eventually bring myself to do a 1/2 marathon, but first I have to do a 10k and I haven't been actively searching for one and really running isn't my thing.

lcarlson90
04-23-2014, 03:01 PM
I have so much appreciation for marathon runners. I have been running 10k's and plan to run my first 1/2 in October at the Nike SF run. I don't really see myself ever wanting to run a full marathon but you never know.