PDA

View Full Version : "palcohol" - powdered alcohol - thoughts?

lmh2402
04-21-2014, 08:16 PM
just saw this on nightly news

really?

is there truly a need / market for packets of powdered alcohol that you just add to water?

I don't like the idea of it, though I can't totally put my finger on why. Just feels like a bad idea... perhaps easier for kids to sneak/hide. and lord knows someone will try to snort it.

anyway, thoughts?

ahisma
04-21-2014, 08:32 PM
I'm horrified by the notion. I have a teen. It's terrifying.

elephantmeg
04-21-2014, 08:34 PM
I heard about it and was thinking it sounded great for camping!

bisous
04-21-2014, 08:36 PM
It seem like it would be quite easy to make too concentrated and that sounds dangerous. Way too easy to sneak for sure but it seems like user errors would be inevitable!

SnuggleBuggles
04-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Used responsibly, I can see some value to it. But, I can see cause for concern.

lmh2402
04-21-2014, 08:39 PM
It seem like it would be quite easy to make too concentrated and that sounds dangerous. Way too easy to sneak for sure but it seems like user errors would be inevitable!

yes, this! it really is scary to me for some reason. my kiddos are young, but it just really feels like a bad, bad idea.

ahisma
04-21-2014, 09:10 PM
The approval has been reversed.

http://gizmodo.com/oops-powdered-alcohol-was-actually-approved-by-mistake-1565844298

lmh2402
04-21-2014, 09:16 PM
oh that's good news. whew. yeah, suggestions to add to food was rather shocking.

mommylamb
04-21-2014, 10:10 PM
I like to drink alcohol socially, and I know from previous polls here that I probably drink more than many BBB posters. DH and I regularly have a glass of wine with dinner, and I will have a mixed drink or something on the rocks from time to time. However, I drink because I honestly like the taste of the drinks I choose, not because I want to get drunk. I can't even remember the last time I was drunk. I can't imagine powdered alcohol would taste good, so I really don't think I'd ever try it.

Nooknookmom
04-21-2014, 10:14 PM
Ick if ur gonna have a cocktail have the real thing. Sounds like a bomb waiting to explode for the teen set.

lmh2402
04-21-2014, 10:31 PM
I like to drink alcohol socially, and I know from previous polls here that I probably drink more than many BBB posters. DH and I regularly have a glass of wine with dinner, and I will have a mixed drink or something on the rocks from time to time. However, I drink because I honestly like the taste of the drinks I choose, not because I want to get drunk. I can't even remember the last time I was drunk. I can't imagine powdered alcohol would taste good, so I really don't think I'd ever try it.

which is why it seems a sure thing to me that this wouldn't really be a hit for the "responsible adults" - it screams of fraternity pledges being forced to drink double and triple "doses," and high school students guzzling in park bathrooms. not sure why i'm so obsessed with this. i guess i just can't believe it was ever even CLOSE to be approved for sale here. i hope it goes away and never comes back. bad, bad idea.

sariana
04-21-2014, 10:33 PM
Well, it IS more environmentally sound. Shipping bottles of liquid is expensive; a powdered form is much more transportable, with much less energy.

That is not to say that I think this product is a good idea, though.