PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried Zarbee's Natural Baby Cough Syrup ?

babyfiorina1
04-22-2014, 10:41 AM
6-month old DS is so congested and can't stop coughing at night. This is his first time having cough. He has cold off and on the whole winter, but this time around the cough really makes him miserable. He got it from his 3-year old sister. We've cool mist humidifier on whenever he sleeps, I rub some baby vicks on his chest and back and his feet and put socks on, I do saline spray and suck it out as much as I can, steamy shower. I can't think of anything else to help ease his congestion. Poor thing! or should I bring him in to a doctor ? no fever so far.
I saw this Zarbee's Natural baby cough syrup and wondering if I should try that ? Anyone tried that on their babies before ? or any other suggestion to help with congestion and cough will be greatly appreciately

KpbS
04-22-2014, 10:43 AM
3 yo DD used it this winter--the nighttime formula with melatonin. It knocked her out so she could sleep and worked really well for her cough.

I would probably use the regular one (not the nighttime formula) for an infant though.

hth!

Staraglimmer
04-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Yes, my pediatrician always has me give it to both of my girls when they have a cough.

-Stephanie-
mommy to DD1 4/08 &DD2 6/12

ckso
04-22-2014, 11:19 AM
I believe the baby needs to be at least 1 year old to take zarbees. Because it's honey based, it's not safe for infants.

Other than that, I love zarbees and gives it to my kids every time they cough or even when they it seems like they are starting to show symptoms of being sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
04-22-2014, 11:24 AM
I believe the baby needs to be at least 1 year old to take zarbees. Because it's honey based, it's not safe for infants.

This is true, so I would be very cautious.

It is honey based, so the package says you can't give it to babies under 12 months.

babyfiorina1
04-22-2014, 02:16 PM
http://www.zarbees.com/zarbees-all-natural-baby-cough.html

This one is actually for baby and it says can be used for baby at least 2 months and older and made of agave instead of honey ?

I actually decided to bring him in to be checked, just to rule out anything more serious than cold, and our regular peds is not available today so we ended up seeing another doctor and she said his lungs are okay but she prescribed prednisolone (which is a steroid-based) to help with his cough. I'm really hesitant about giving that to him because the pharmacist told me that it is really hard on the tummy and to take it with food. That makes me even more concern and I don't think I"ll give it to him. Wondering if anyone's baby has ever been prescribed prednisolone at such young age ? hmmm!!

lizzywednesday
04-22-2014, 02:21 PM
http://www.zarbees.com/zarbees-all-natural-baby-cough.html

This one is actually for baby and it says can be used for baby at least 2 months and older and made of agave instead of honey ?

So ... it's sugar-water with flavoring. No, I still wouldn't give it - there's no point other than to make a parent feel like they're doing something.

Honestly, my DD got her first cold at about 6 months and all she wanted to do was nurse so that's what we did.

ZeeBaby
04-22-2014, 02:22 PM
I would call your ped and see what they say, but we use Hyland's, which is another mostly natural cough syrup when things are really bad. We try to do humidifier, lift the bed and other stuff as well.

KpbS
04-22-2014, 02:29 PM
The prednisolone should help him but be sure to give it several hours before bedtime as it interferes with sleep . Also it can make them extra emotional (sad/mad/clingy) just an FYI.

elephantmeg
04-22-2014, 03:06 PM
I've given prednisolone to babies that age before.

twowhat?
04-22-2014, 04:09 PM
We have used it with moderate success, so yes if he's old enough I'd definitely give it a shot. The active ingredient is buckwheat honey, which our ped says there is actually data on (as opposed to regular clover or other honey). He also says you can buy buckwheat honey from Whole Foods and give that. It's a very dark honey, like molasses, and so long as kids don't mind the stronger flavor that's what he recommends. We don't live close enough to a WF but if we did, I'd get the buckwheat honey over the Zarbees.

eta: saw he's 6mos old so NO DON'T GIVE HONEY! Sorry!! You could maybe try elevating one side of his crib if he's swaddled to keep him from rolling around?

Mopey
04-25-2014, 01:21 PM
Where can I buy Zarbee's today? Mopey's cough is just awful and she had almost no sleep last night. And I can hear her coughing in the other room. I give her children's claritin when her nose is bad but she hasn't had a cough like this before.........

TIA!!

MamaMolly
04-25-2014, 01:23 PM
I found it at Walgreens. My friend swears by the powdered kind with melatonin you mix into a warm drink but my girls would never take it. They happily take the Zarbees cough syrup.

Mopey
04-25-2014, 01:31 PM
I found it at Walgreens. My friend swears by the powdered kind with melatonin you mix into a warm drink but my girls would never take it. They happily take the Zarbees cough syrup.

Walgreens is attached to Duane Reade here so yay :) She's sleeping okay now but have to go out and get goodies for my sick house anyway. Thanks!!

ckso
04-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Where can I buy Zarbee's today? Mopey's cough is just awful and she had almost no sleep last night. And I can hear her coughing in the other room. I give her children's claritin when her nose is bad but she hasn't had a cough like this before.........

TIA!!

They also have them at Target (I think it's a little cheaper) and CVS

Mopey
04-25-2014, 02:22 PM
They also have them at Target (I think it's a little cheaper) and CVS

Thanks - will check there later but for tonight my new pharmacy (not DR) has ordered the nighttime one for her. They were so great about it! :)

KpbS
04-25-2014, 03:06 PM
Thanks - will check there later but for tonight my new pharmacy (not DR) has ordered the nighttime one for her. They were so great about it! :)

It totally conked my 3 yo out! Hope it works well for your DD!