PDA

View Full Version : DH has an interview... What does this mean?

knaidel
04-23-2014, 12:31 AM
My husband has been keeping his eyes open for a new position, he found a posting on his law schools' site for a position in another city, about 300 miles away-- he is a very specific area of tax, so he is more limited in terms of positions. He had a phone interview last week and got this email--

"We would like to invite you at our expense to come to "city x" for a day long preliminary interview at our expense so that you can meet other members if the group and tour our office. If all goes well, then shortly thereafter we would plan on inviting you and your wife to "city x" for a longer visit."

Huh? Not sure what I have to do with this (in terms of the actual position). Is this standard practice in law firms----to bring in a spouse-- before an offer is made? This is a small firm -- 75 people in two cities. I know at my office, we will pay for a house hunting trip before the move.... But after an offer is made.

Any thoughts?

AshleyAnn
04-23-2014, 01:01 AM
When my SO was interviewing for a position that involved a cross country move we were both invited for a weekend trip to city xyz after his second interview but before a formal offer was made. They made the offer the Friday we flew up and we were encouraged to explore the city together before making a decision about the offer. He's in upper level quality control in a very specific industry so its not the exact situation you asked.

HannaAddict
04-23-2014, 03:37 AM
Yes. This was the standard, though some firms had cutbacks when the economy tanked. It is a good sign they are willing to invest in this step and are stable financially to spend the $$. Even for summer associate jobs, I went to dinners with partners and their wives in our city and was invited and traveled to visit firms with my then fiancee during the interview process. Firms are a partnership and they do invite the spouse or fiancée, and you can be at your gracious charming best. The trips were actually fun as we had no kids then and, stayed in swanky hotels while we were living the student life at home. The offer was sometimes extended during the stay or shortly after. And when I interviewed, he came along and was the supportive and charming spouse! It is the norm for the more genteel and old school firms and it is also good for you to meet who he will be spending time with and if you see it as a fit. Good luck and have fun doing your part at the social part of his interview.

hillview
04-23-2014, 07:28 AM
have you read "The Firm"? :) congrats sounds like a great sign!

KrisM
04-23-2014, 07:31 AM
A friend's husband just started working a new job in a different state and she was invited along for the 2nd visit. I imagine they don't want to invest too much into something if the wife is going to say "no I don't like the city" once she gets there. My friend's job is not law, but engineering.

westwoodmom04
04-23-2014, 07:38 AM
My husband has been keeping his eyes open for a new position, he found a posting on his law schools' site for a position in another city, about 300 miles away-- he is a very specific area of tax, so he is more limited in terms of positions. He had a phone interview last week and got this email--

"We would like to invite you at our expense to come to "city x" for a day long preliminary interview at our expense so that you can meet other members if the group and tour our office. If all goes well, then shortly thereafter we would plan on inviting you and your wife to "city x" for a longer visit."

Huh? Not sure what I have to do with this (in terms of the actual position). Is this standard practice in law firms----to bring in a spouse-- before an offer is made? This is a small firm -- 75 people in two cities. I know at my office, we will pay for a house hunting trip before the move.... But after an offer is made.

Any thoughts?

No, it isn't standard practice in big firms, at least isn't on the east coast. However, it would not surprise me in a smaller firm or boutique where the group is more tight knit.

MamaMolly
04-23-2014, 08:42 AM
I think getting you involved in the decision making as far as a possible move is smart business. Congrats, and I hope it goes well!

Giantbear
04-23-2014, 10:04 AM
It is his job, but it is your life too, and the firms recognize this. If they want to hire a person that involves a long range family move, they have to court the spouse too. They also would not spend that kind of $$ if they were not very interested in him

belovedgandp
04-23-2014, 10:54 AM
I don't know about standard practices, but I have seen it especially when obviously relocating a family and not just a new position in the same city. I went on an international trip with DH when he was just considering an offer from his then employer. It was good for us to have already been there to have a feel for the country to make and educated decision when the official offer came.

Ms B
04-23-2014, 12:06 PM
When DH (then boyfriend) was interviewing with firms after his clerkship, I was a specific subject of discussion. They want to make sure that you fit with their culture (I also am an attorney, so they knew that I was familiar with the drill). Being invited for a more social interview is a good sign!

I am sure this goes without saying, but understand that you will be "interviewed" as well, even if no one asks you a single question. You may want to Google the primary partners to see if you can find out what kinds of charitable organizations they support and events they attend (because, rest assured, you will be expected to show up for some of them over the years), as well as what they might wear for social events (with DH's firm, black dress always works, but at some firms in town things lean more towards the Lilly Pulitzer). Be prepared for mandatory social events that weekend and to be polite, positive, and sober at all times (even if everyone else is plowed).

HannaAddict
04-23-2014, 01:48 PM
No, it isn't standard practice in big firms, at least isn't on the east coast. However, it would not surprise me in a smaller firm or boutique where the group is more tight knit.

It seemed more common at larger firms here on the west coast or in large firms, like mine at the time, that had a national or international presence. The smaller, boutique firms were less likely to do this unless partner level with a book of business. Interesting regional differences. And like another poster said, it is a way for them to meet and evaluate the spouse, not just woo them. Good luck to the OP! It is a great sign.

erosenst
04-23-2014, 09:50 PM
I am sure this goes without saying, but understand that you will be "interviewed" as well, even if no one asks you a single question. You may want to Google the primary partners to see if you can find out what kinds of charitable organizations they support and events they attend (because, rest assured, you will be expected to show up for some of them over the years), as well as what they might wear for social events (with DH's firm, black dress always works, but at some firms in town things lean more towards the Lilly Pulitzer). Be prepared for mandatory social events that weekend and to be polite, positive, and sober at all times (even if everyone else is plowed).

If they're asking you to go before the offer, and this is a small firm, all of this is applicable.

Forgive me if I have the wrong person -but I'm pretty sure you're Shomer Shabbat, and keep strictly kosher. If that's the case, make sure DH makes it clear when you are willing to travel. They will likely want to 'wine and dine' you, so if there is a way that you will eat in a non-kosher home/restaurant, you may need to lay that out as well. (Envision the senior partner's wife slaving over a fine meal, only to hear that you can't eat it :/ )

Best of luck!