PDA

View Full Version : TTC question

Sweetum
04-23-2014, 09:15 PM
We just started TTC :) I am wondering though if I should avoid the month that would have the baby likely the same month as DS. Did you? Somehow I am not a big fan of having the same birth month for kids, but wondering if I am just hung up on some small detail and losing precious time and opportunities for conception, I'm close to 40. would love to hear opinions.

rin
04-23-2014, 09:20 PM
I personally wouldn't, but I think this is so a question of personal circumstances. We had a somewhat rocky path to building our family, so I wouldn't want to waste any time. If you feel more relaxed about your chances, then sure, go for it! I hear you about the same birth month, but remember that could happen anyways with a premature birth. My uncle's twins were born on his birthday, and I don't think it's been too traumatic for them all.

123LuckyMom
04-23-2014, 09:27 PM
I wouldn't. I'd just keep trying. If it's meant to be in that particular month, you'll find things to love about it. I have a friend whose children were both born on Christmas Day three years apart! For the older child they do her party for her new year and 1/3rd birthday so it falls in the spring. For their son they do the new year and 3/4 birthday so it falls in the fall. Of course they celebrate on Christmas, too, but there are ways around a same month birthday issue. Get the child born first, and then you can worry about how to work with his or her birthday.

jgenie
04-23-2014, 09:32 PM
DS1 and DS2 have birthdays in the same month - 2 years 8 days apart. They were both born 4 weeks early. So far it hasn't been an issue at all. We have been able to do joint parties without a problem and can do separate weekends if we need to later on.

Melaine
04-23-2014, 09:48 PM
i wouldn't let it stop me, that's for sure! Good luck!

AngB
04-23-2014, 09:55 PM
i wouldn't let it stop me, that's for sure! Good luck!

You just never know. I mean, we are planning to try for a late winter-early spring baby next time, but wouldn't avoid a certain month. You could go to all that trouble to avoid a month only to end up delivering early or whatever unexpectedly.

TxCat
04-23-2014, 11:14 PM
It wouldn't stop me from trying. If it takes you longer than expected, your planning will be thrown off anyways.

theriviera
04-23-2014, 11:23 PM
My kids birthdays fall over a 3 week period. Is it what I would have liked? It's not ideal but it's when my body likes to be pregnant/stay pregnant, I guess. So no, I would not let it stop me.

Staraglimmer
04-24-2014, 12:14 AM
We did, but we were not trying for very long at the time and I was under 30.

-Stephanie-
mommy to DD1 4/08 &DD2 6/12

okinawama
04-24-2014, 09:33 AM
Even if you tried to avoid that month, there are just so many variables (ie: late ovulation, early birth, late birth...) that it is still possible that you'd have children born in the same month anyway. If it were me, we'd keep pluggin away, and try that particular month.

KDsMommy
04-24-2014, 10:00 AM
As a woman who was recently TTC and close to 40 (I'll be 40 when baby girl is born) I absolutely, unequivocably would not wait. There are so many variables at play, and it may not happen as quickly as you think. Time is very, very precious when we are advanced maternal age! Good luck and I hope you get pregnant very quickly!

tabegle
04-24-2014, 10:13 AM
If you haven't had problems conceiving in the past, you can certainly try to "schedule" your delivery month. And if you have time before you want to start trying, I recommend getting ovulation prediction kids (cheapies from amazon) so you can have more confidence in knowing when you are ovulating and if you aren't already, use an app on your phone like My Days or something similar.

That said, even if you've had no problem conceiving in the past, that's no guarantee of future success.

When we decided to try for our third, I wanted to try to get pregnant ASAP. Between the ovulation sticks (used twice a day for me) and period app on my phone that I had been using for months did the trick for me. (right away too!)

scrooks
04-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Add me to the list of people who suggest keep trying. My dd and ds2 have birthdays 6 years and 5 days apart. Was I thrilled when I heard what his birthday would be ... No.... But that was far over shadowed by the fact that I was thrilled he was coming!!!!(after 2 miscarriages in 2 years and on our third round of Clomid....I was 36 fwiw).

megs4413
04-24-2014, 12:37 PM
when we decided to TTC DS my cycles lined up like this for due dates: valentine's day, DH's birthday, DD's birthday. Isn't it wild that those dates are those distances apart? Never occurred to me before that experience. DS was conceived on the second cycle and was due on Dh's birthday. :) We found out on MY birthday that we were expecting. Again, WILD that our birthdays are exactly 36 weeks apart, so i just so happened to be testing on my birthday to discover i was due on DH's! amazing!

anyway, clearly i didn't let it deter me. we were aiming for feb-june for a due date and that was what was most important to me. I was young, though, and hadn't had any trouble conceiving #1 (and #2 that we lost).

my bro and I are 3 days apart in birthdays. Truth be told, it stunk, but I think that was more to do with the way my parents handled it. Joint cakes (so one year it was half he man brown and half care bear blue), joint parties, joint gifts...you get the idea. my parents thought it was a two for one special. it wasn't. You can make it what you want it to be!

BunnyBee
04-24-2014, 01:22 PM
You'd need to avoid 2+ months, which I wouldn't do nearing 40. And that's assuming the baby will cooperate and be "full term" anyway, which isn't a guarantee.

Philly Mom
04-24-2014, 01:54 PM
Most people I know have kids with birthdays in the same month. I have never heard anyone complain. Means the baby clothes are more likely to be season appropriate if you have the same sex.

DualvansMommy
04-24-2014, 06:15 PM
I wanted to be particular in TTC, but had trouble TTC with #2. Went with IVF route after 6 months of failed IUI attempts, so by that point we weren't picky even though we knew potential due dates were in Dec/Jan which I didn't like. In the end, our 1st attempt in IVF worked and got Jan baby, and I didn't care at that point! Was just thrilled to have a healthy baby.

swissair81
04-24-2014, 06:30 PM
My oldest two kids have birthdays two weeks apart- in different months though. DD2 was 3 entire weeks early, so planning wouldn't have worked very well. My youngest two DDs were born exactly two years apart almost to the day. DS is the only one with his own birthday and he thinks it's lonely. He wants a concelebrant.

kdeunc
04-24-2014, 08:50 PM
My boys are 2years and 8 days apart. It has not been an issue for us even though they are both december babies. We did try to make sure DD was not only because Christmas made the thought of 3 birthdays too much. :)

Piglet
04-24-2014, 09:16 PM
Well DS2 was due in Feb and was born in March (2 weeks overdue) and DD2 was due in April and was born in March (2 weeks early). No sense in planning, lol.

gatorsmom
04-24-2014, 09:40 PM
Most people I know have kids with birthdays in the same month. I have never heard anyone complain. Means the baby clothes are more likely to be season appropriate if you have the same sex.

:yeahthat: It might sound strange but I planned my babies to be born in the same month for the same reason. My first 2 boys' birthdays are 9 days apart. They are similarly body sizes and shapes so passing down clothes each season is easy. They also had joint birthday parties for the first 5 years of Gator's life.

AnnieW625
04-27-2014, 02:58 PM
DD2 was not planned and her due date was May 8th and she was born 8 days early on April 29th so I have two April babies.

We also lost baby 2 in April so April is quite a month for us, but I don't have an issue having two April kids.

SnuggleBuggles
04-27-2014, 03:54 PM
The main thing I wish is considered was school cut off dates wrt to planning birthdays.

HannaAddict
04-27-2014, 04:22 PM
We didn't think about that at all, zero. Didn't have to try and they just all happened! It never even occurred to me to think about a particular month.

Sweetum
04-30-2014, 03:45 PM
thank you, all. I'm glad I asked. I do get hung up on these types of things and dont't hink about big picture. so, wish us luck!

barkley1
05-01-2014, 10:35 PM
My brother is 2 yrs younger than me...almost exactly. Our bdays are on consecutive days of the same month. we always had parties together, but then, back then there wasn't all this hype about "super" birthday parties. It was mom's homemade cake and the grandparents came over. We didn't mind, but didn't know any different either. I know others have mentioned it, but as a 29 year old (at the time) who took 17 agonizing months to conceive...do.not.wait. :) Good luck!

klwa
05-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Well, our kids have birthdays in September (tried for 4 months), August (tried for 1 month), and September (tried for 6 months). DD2's due date was October, though. I didn't worry about whether the kids would share a birth month. (I was actively rooting for DD1 to stay in for an extra week, which would have made her a September baby, too, so I wouldn't have to make the choice to red shirt or not.) Our only real issue is that we have 1 niece & 1 nephew with birthdays in that same time frame, plus DH, FIL, DBrother, DSIL, and our grandparents. It gets a little busy in August & September around our house. Oh, and another nephew is due at the beginning of October. :)