PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute 1st Communion Gift Ideas?

maydaymommy
04-24-2014, 01:43 PM
Title says it all. Need to get something to give to a girl on Saturday.

A few years ago I gave her sister a charming little necklace w/ a pearl, a cross, & her initial. I don't know why I didn't do that again before it was too late!

All the regular b & m stores are accessible to me. I'd like to stay under $40, would go to $50.

Do they have anything at Things Remembered or a Pandora or Brighton store? I have little experience in Communion gifts, so I don't know what to get. I'd rather not just give a check, but I could. What's the right amount? (Very close family friends, suburb of an East Coast city - that always seems to come up in these how-much-should-I-give threads.)

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Kindra178
04-24-2014, 02:21 PM
Give a check.

fauve01
04-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Title says it all. Need to get something to give to a girl on Saturday.

A few years ago I gave her sister a charming little necklace w/ a pearl, a cross, & her initial. I don't know why I didn't do that again before it was too late!

All the regular b & m stores are accessible to me. I'd like to stay under $40, would go to $50.

Do they have anything at Things Remembered or a Pandora or Brighton store? I have little experience in Communion gifts, so I don't know what to get. I'd rather not just give a check, but I could. What's the right amount? (Very close family friends, suburb of an East Coast city - that always seems to come up in these how-much-should-I-give threads.)

Suggestions greatly appreciated!

Last year for my own DD, I got her a little necklace from the Hallmark Store to go with the Action Bible we gave her. THe necklace was near the register and had a ladybug and shamrock, IIRC. it wasn't too fancy, but pretty cute. I was looking for "religious" but she already has several cross necklaces, and a couple cross charm bracelets. I decided ladybugs are lucky and that was OK.

the lady at the register steered me toward some little angel figures in various poses, saying lots of people give those for first communion. I think they were made out of wood or porcelain. cute but not my DD's style. I don't see any on the web site to show you.

for my niece this year, I already got her a cross necklace when she was baptized, so for FC I went with a nice little celtic cross bookmark for her bible (bought at the local Irish store). and added in two hair pieces from American Girl she's been really wanting :bag

gatorsmom
04-24-2014, 04:13 PM
Money is always nice but if you want something special, you could get a very pretty rosary for not a ton of money. I've admired some made with shiny crystal beads, another one had beads in the shape of tiny roses that was scented with a fragrant oil. Or you could get one in her favorite color. You could also get her book with the Order of the Mass and then write a little something inside the cover. Both of those are popular gifts for first communion. My aunt just gave my daughter a very pretty rosary bracelet. You could probably find one in a Catholic store.

Mikey0709
04-24-2014, 04:21 PM
My son mostly received money for his last year from friends and family. The religious gifts came from his teachers and helpers within the church.

One religious item he did like - - was the candy cross! I think it came from a local confectioner who handmakes chocolates. Someone game him that with some cash on top - -which made it seem more like a "gift" he could open!Nice touch. SOmething like this may be pretty easy to find since it was just Easter.

maydaymommy
04-24-2014, 05:40 PM
Great ideas, thank you!

I especially like the idea if a little something to add to a check. That sounds good to me.

So..,what's the right amount for a check?