PDA

View Full Version : help! tooth ache? gum ache?

wifecat
04-25-2014, 07:25 AM
I couldn't sleep last night because of generalized pain in my upper left jaw. I can't tell if it's just one tooth or if it's gum pain - it feels bigger than a single tooth, but I'm sure it could just be radiating outward? I don't know.

I was flossing last night and got super dizzy, so I ended up stopping early. I don't know if a little bit of food got stuck and just irritated my gums (the gums do seem really swollen).

Is there anything I can do to calm down the inflamed gums and see if this pain fades? I'm pregnant, so I can't take ibuprofen. Or I would have already. ;-)

When do YOU decide to go to the dentist? I've never gone in for pain before, and this isn't THAT bad, but bad enough to keep me from sleeping, which stinks.

MSWR0319
04-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Are you congested at all? Any time my sinus's flare, my teeth and gums hurt, even when I just touch them. Maybe it's not your teeth at all?

wifecat
04-25-2014, 07:43 AM
Are you congested at all? Any time my sinus's flare, my teeth and gums hurt, even when I just touch them. Maybe it's not your teeth at all?

No, not congested, but good to know!

kristenk
04-25-2014, 08:05 AM
I wonder if you do have something stuck between your teeth. I know that when that happens to me, my gum will swell in the area in an effort to move the teeth farther apart and free whatever's stuck. Usually when it happens I don't notice anything feeling stuck before the discomfort and swelling. (That makes it sound like it happens all the time! It doesn't. It did happen within the past month, though, so it's fresh in my mind.)

carolinacool
04-25-2014, 08:07 AM
I went to the dentist for the exact same reason on Tuesday. I started having pain in the lower left part of my mouth last Thursday late in the day, and of course dentists are always closed on Friday. I was popping ibuprofen all through Easter weekend. Turns out I did have some food that had gone underneath the gum and was irritating. They numbed me up really quickly and did a quick scaling and planing, and then irrigated with some liquid. It's still a little sore, but not that radiating throbbing pain.

It totally sucks, that pain. I didn't sleep well the whole time either.

Simon
04-25-2014, 08:08 AM
I would rinse with warm water and then floss again a few times. I did go to the dentist once when my gums swelled overnight with a lot of pain. They didn't see any food, but said they often do remove small bits like popcorn shell bits from patients who come in. If the rinsing/additional flossing doesn't work, I'd head in if there isn't a $$ co-pay. ETA: My gums were back to normal about 36 hours later.

wifecat
04-25-2014, 11:06 AM
I would rinse with warm water and then floss again a few times. I did go to the dentist once when my gums swelled overnight with a lot of pain. They didn't see any food, but said they often do remove small bits like popcorn shell bits from patients who come in. If the rinsing/additional flossing doesn't work, I'd head in if there isn't a $$ co-pay. ETA: My gums were back to normal about 36 hours later.

I rinsed with warm salt water and threw in some garlic because I saw that listed on a home remedy site. Can I just say garlic+salty water+pregnant is a nasty combo? It's probably gross anyway, but oh, gag me. It eased the pain and I was able to get about 2 hrs of sleep, in which time my gums stopped throbbing. It still hurts, but not like before. I'm going to keep working on it. Most the dentists I want to go to are closed today.

Mikey0709
04-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Honestly to me sounds like an infection. ALways starts with one tooth for me - but feels like several and even affect the nerve the runs through your jaw. It's the nerve pain that keeps me awake at night.

Upper jaw could be ear infection too believe it or not.

i think i lost a tooth per pregnancy - even ended up with root canal during pregnancy. not fun.

HOpe you can get in to see a dentist! Good luck.