PDA

View Full Version : Baby boy gift thats useful and sentimental? Does such an item exist?

Pinky
04-25-2014, 09:26 AM
My dearest friend just had a baby boy and I'd like to get her a gift that they can actually use, but that's also a touch sentimental. Does such a thing exist? She already has another son so really doesn't need any of the typical baby things you'd get a new mom. Any ideas? :)

ahisma
04-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Pewter bank?

Not sure what your price range is, but this woodworker usually has trains, and sometimes his blocks, in stock. They're heirloom quality and are treasured favorites in our home: http://www.woodentoy.com/

These personalized boats are great too: http://www.bathboats.com/collections/custom-bathboats

123LuckyMom
04-25-2014, 09:49 AM
How about a step stool (or a set of two steps) with his name on it. He'll use that until he's an elementary schooler. The same goes for a personalized chair (the one from Pottery Barn is great.) A wood carved name puzzle is a lower budget item. My son has a boyish snow globe with cars and a blimp that he LOVES. As he grows it'll probably sit on a bookshelf, but I bet he won't get rid of it. A monogrammed, handsome blanket is a nice gift. It can be a stroller tuck now but a throw on the couch later in life.

KLD313
04-25-2014, 10:04 AM
How about a step stool (or a set of two steps) with his name on it. He'll use that until he's an elementary schooler. The same goes for a personalized chair (the one from Pottery Barn is great.) A wood carved name puzzle is a lower budget item. My son has a boyish snow globe with cars and a blimp that he LOVES. As he grows it'll probably sit on a bookshelf, but I bet he won't get rid of it. A monogrammed, handsome blanket is a nice gift. It can be a stroller tuck now but a throw on the couch later in life.

Someone gave both my kids step stools with their names in wood like a puzzle and they love them. They're from damhorsttoys.com.

Philly Mom
04-25-2014, 10:09 AM
I received a few stools. I like them but they are not my favorite. My favorite personalized gift is the name book from I See Me. DD1 loves hers so much I may just buy one for DD2 for her 1st birthday.

hellokitty
04-25-2014, 12:21 PM
A handmade quilt. Each of my boys was giving a handmade quilt or crocheted blanket when they were born and other than one baby outfit, I have held onto those blankets. One of them was made by her friend and sister, another by a friend's mother and another was a 90 yr old women of a friend. So, it doesn't have to be handmade from you, but I love the handmade gifts.

vonfirmath
04-25-2014, 12:35 PM
A handmade quilt. A fleece blanket embroidered with their full name, date, time, and weight of birth (I've got two of these and LOVE them. The fleece one gets more use than the quilted one)

A personalized book. Or maybe one of those CDs with music and the kid's name

BunnyBee
04-25-2014, 12:41 PM
DS received a very lovely, handmade wooden truck. It's usually right there on the toy shelf but of course not now! (I think there is a label underneath; I was going to recommend the maker.) If I find it, I'll update. I'm sure there are lots and lots on etsy!

rlu
04-25-2014, 12:47 PM
A handmade quilt. Each of my boys was giving a handmade quilt or crocheted blanket when they were born and other than one baby outfit, I have held onto those blankets. One of them was made by her friend and sister, another by a friend's mother and another was a 90 yr old women of a friend. So, it doesn't have to be handmade from you, but I love the handmade gifts.

My sister made DS a quilt (and several lovey blankets) and a good friend gave us a crocheted blanket her mother had made for DS.

A friend gave us a sign "bless this child" that still hangs in his room - obviously not for everyone but special for us.

melrose7
04-25-2014, 01:29 PM
A keepsake box. I got one of these for each of my kids when they were born. It can be personalized and a great place for the little items that want to be saved.
http://www.aimeej.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=KB-LX-602

twotimesblue
04-25-2014, 04:34 PM
A friend sent me a beautiful wooden boat with DS2's name and date of birth on it. I think she bought it from Etsy. It's not practical but it is very tasteful and I love looking at it in the nursery.

Pinky
04-25-2014, 05:56 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Mamabear4
04-25-2014, 06:04 PM
I loved the monogrammed lovies and blankets with DS2's name that we received

Pennylane
04-25-2014, 06:33 PM
A friend sent me a beautiful wooden boat with DS2's name and date of birth on it. I think she bought it from Etsy. It's not practical but it is very tasteful and I love looking at it in the nursery.

I was also going to suggest the wooden boat. There was a company recommended on here before that I bought from and it is adorable!

I'll try to find the name.

Ann

Pennylane
04-25-2014, 08:12 PM
Here is a link :

http://bathboats.com

My DS has had his for 8 years and it still looks great. Well worth the money!

Ann