PDA

View Full Version : Dumb newbie basic kindle question.

nfowife
04-25-2014, 04:38 PM
My DD got the basic kindle for her birthday today. She got the special offers one. Dumb question: How do you get to the "home" screen menu without the special offers? Do you have to view the special offer (by holding down the middle button of the toggle square button in the middle) and then press home? The only way it seems to "wake up" when you open the cover is to press that middle button and view the special offer. Is there a way to bypass that part and go right to the home screen menu?
Thanks.

lhafer
04-25-2014, 06:18 PM
If you have the ad one, you will have the ad...hence the price difference. That first screen (which always looks like it's on) is the only time you will ever see an ad. If you don't want that, then you can call Amazon customer service and have it upgraded to the non-ad version (for the cost difference) I believe. Otherwise, you click the power button (or home button or which ever button you have on which ever Kindle model you have) to turn it on. The ad is really the "off" screen.

Personally I don't mind the special offers because I have gotten some good books that way that I would have never otherwise known existed! But 99% of the time I don't even notice the ad because I turn on my Kindle as soon as I open the cover.

nfowife
04-25-2014, 09:23 PM
No when I open my cover the ad is there and it says "press and hold the (square) button to see the offer". I don't want to see the full offer though. But pressing the other buttons (home, keyboard, arrow) do nothing.
I know the "screensaver" is the ad, but I don't need to see the full info on the offer every time my DD wants to read. Unless there is no other option.

KrisM
04-25-2014, 09:29 PM
Is there a power button next to where the charging cable plugs in? If so, that should just turn it on and off and not show any specific offer.

ETA: It should be around the edge from the square power button, if I'm remembering my mom's correctly.

TwoBees
04-25-2014, 10:23 PM
No when I open my cover the ad is there and it says "press and hold the (square) button to see the offer". I don't want to see the full offer though. But pressing the other buttons (home, keyboard, arrow) do nothing.
I know the "screensaver" is the ad, but I don't need to see the full info on the offer every time my DD wants to read. Unless there is no other option.

You should just have to press the home button once, not press and hold. I can't remember if there is a way to lock it...could it be locked? My basic kindle isn't charged so I can't check.

kristac
04-27-2014, 07:56 PM
Yes the power button on mine is on the bottom (not front) of the device next to the charging port.