PDA

View Full Version : Need help trying to plan a surprise for DH - Steely Dan tickets and trip

TxCat
04-26-2014, 12:16 AM
One of DH's very favorite bands is Steely Dan. He's only seen them once live and I know he'd live to see them again. He missed them when they were in our city last summer because the concert was the weekend after DD2 was born. They are going on tour again this summer and I would love to surprise him with tickets. I think he would be really surprised and blown away by this (especially since I don't share his love for the band). Of course, they are not coming to Texas at all this tour, just my luck.

Here are my options, that I need some help thinking through.

1) get tickets for the Oklahoma City show. It's a 1hr 15 min plane trip on Southwest. Show is Monday night. Right now, I think I'd plan for us to fly in that morning/afternoon, then fly out the next day in the late morning.
Pros: my dad and his wife live there, so we could stay with them, and it's the closest big city location for the tour, easy travel, etc. Cons: my dad and his wife live there, so there would be pressure to extend the visit, bring the girls, etc. This would take away from making the trip a fun, relaxing surprise for DH. Also, the date of this show is in July, and that's already a bad month for us travel-wise and would make it difficult for me to extend the visit due to work issues.

2) get tickets for the Boston show in September. It's a 4 hr plane ride, but the tix on United (if I purchase them now) are only $30 more than Southwest to OKC. Concert is a Saturday night, so we'd probably fly in either Friday night or Saturday morning, and then return late Sunday afternoon or early evening. Pros: we have good friends in Boston that we could see for lunch or brunch, we know the area well and like it (DH went to grad school there), and I could splurge and book a really nice hotel for us. Cons: long plane ride for a short trip, date is the sane weekend as a professional conference I was thinking of attending locally to network for jobs in the future.

3) forget the whole plan and hope they tour again in Texas in the next couple of years.

Anyone want to weigh in. I don't know what it is, but I'm having the hardest time making a decision here.

Eta: all of the dates of the tour the first two weeks of July won't work for us since DH has a work conference in England starting July 6th, and none of the other locations seemed like good options for us.

larig
04-26-2014, 12:50 AM
Iwas going to lobby for seattle, but that's july 5 & 6 (summers here are divine!)

You could also shoot for august 15th in lovely Springfield, IL at the Illinois State Fair. (It's very easy to get in the standing-room-only area.) Tickets aren't on sale yet. (ETA: I'm kidding about springfield--it would be a PITA)

ETA: they did tour extensively in 2013 from the looks of it... http://www.steelydan.com/tour13dates.html

ahisma
04-26-2014, 12:51 AM
Boston!

goldenpig
04-26-2014, 03:44 AM
Unless you think you need to go to this conference to network, it sounds like Boston would be a much better "date" experience and a fun weekend away for the two of you. I'd vote for that! Four hour plane ride is nothing if you don't have the kids! If you do end up doing the first option, just explain in advance that it's a big surprise, that you aren't able to stay longer because of work and/or bring the kids and I hope they'd understand.

Momit
04-26-2014, 06:40 AM
Another vote for Boston! I am biased because I went to undergrad there and love it. But the summer should be great, you can see friends, travel isn't bad $ wise. Sounds like fun!

I do know what you mean about planning a surprise trip for DH. I did the same thing years ago (to Boston, in fact) and he was thrilled. I planned a surprise dinner with one of his best college friends and a couple of my friends who had been our bridesmaids, we saw the sights and had a great time. My DH is also one who does not love traveling, kind of grudgingly goes along with whatever I plan, then has so much fun when he gets there that he forgets he didn't want to go in the first place.

TwinFoxes
04-26-2014, 07:30 AM
I think Boston sounds good too. But honestly I can't imagine going to OKC in July (although since you're in TX you probably don't feel the same way). Four hours is not such a bad flight. And I bet Boston will have beautiful weather in September.

BunnyBee
04-26-2014, 09:06 AM
I'd pick Boston, but everything will be more expensive there if that is a concern. September is a worse time if you have school-aged kids in activities, etc. though because everything is starting up and parent-intensive. If you do OKC, get a hotel room instead of staying with your dad. That sounds wholly unromantic! ;)

DietCokeLover
04-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Of your two choices, I would pick Boston. But, I agree with BunnyBee, if you choose OKC, get a hotel and plan to meet your dad for lunch somewhere.

Steely Dan is coming to our area too and DH is a huge fan. I am considering getting him tix for his bday.

SnuggleBuggles
04-26-2014, 10:20 AM
Boston.

Meatball Mommie
04-26-2014, 05:07 PM
I vote for Boston, too. I think it would be a fun trip away from the kids. I might be a little biased though since we live in that area (and were also considering going to the Steely Dan concert as DH is a huge fan as well).

Momit
04-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Of your two choices, I would pick Boston. But, I agree with BunnyBee, if you choose OKC, get a hotel and plan to meet your dad for lunch somewhere.

Or just don't tell him you're coming to town at all. Shhhhhhh... ;)

kristenk
04-26-2014, 10:12 PM
How about New Orleans on 7/26? I'm guessing it would be a quick flight for you. It's a Saturday night, so you could just make a weekend of it.

If you go to OKC, don't stay with your dad! Meet for a meal, but that's it. It's a quick bday trip, not a family visit.