PDA

View Full Version : Professional clothes, especially for petites

NJ_Mom2011
04-27-2014, 07:28 AM
I was wondering where you went for your professional clothes? I just started a new job that is business casual, but many of the women still wear suits. Overall, everyone is dressed very conservatively. I have to buy almost a new wardrobe, as my previous work position was truly business casual.

What I have bought is all over the place. I have bought online a Banana Republic suit; a White House Black Market dress; a navy blue blazer from the Limited; and jacket and blouse from Talbots. These places offer petite clothing, a plus for shorty me.

I probably have to buy more clothes, as I probably will be returning much of what I bought. Where do you go for your professional wear? I am hoping those of you who are petite will especially provide suggestions. TIA!

kara97210
04-27-2014, 09:30 AM
My SIL is petite and works in a more conservative office and buys a lot of her work clothes at Ann Taylor and Loft (which I think is an AT spinoff). She always looks great. I work in a casual environment, but for outside meetings, events, etc i generally shop at Nordstrom. Even though I live 15 min away from 2 different Nordstroms 90% of my shopping is online. I really like reading the reviews of other customers when I'm shopping.

mikala
04-27-2014, 10:10 AM
I'm a Sahm right now but used to shop a lot at Ann Taylor, Nordstrom and Loft. I also found some cute shirts at JC Penney, maybe Worthington petite?

This blog might give you some ideas. http://www.professionallypetite.com

BDKmom
04-27-2014, 10:25 AM
I get most of my stuff from Loft and The Limited. I find I have to shop all over to even have a chance of finding things I like. So it ends up much like the OP, a shirt at Loft, some pants at Limited, a sweater at BR,etc. I haven't found a store yet that can meet all my needs or consistently has styles that I like.

citymama
04-27-2014, 10:33 AM
I've had good luck w Banana Republic. Boden also sells petites.

ett
04-27-2014, 10:35 AM
This blog features a lot of professional clothes too.
http://www.extrapetite.com/

ilfaith
04-27-2014, 03:21 PM
In addition to the aforementioned Banana, Ann Taylor, Loft, and Express, there is also J. Crew. If the office look is very conservative, Talbots and the various department store brands found at Macys, Lord & Taylor, and Nordstrom (such as Tahari, Jones New York, Calvin Klein) could work.

gymnbomb
04-27-2014, 05:55 PM
I have had good luck with petite departments at Talbots, Ann Taylor, loft, and banana republic. If you have one nearby, I did very well at the Ann Taylor outlet when I was building a work wardrobe that ranged from the nicer end of business casual to suits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
04-27-2014, 07:36 PM
I just bought these pants from the Limited, they are the short length and are perfect on me, I"m 4'11'', but have very long legs for my height. Limited carries a lot of business style clothing...

http://www.thelimited.com/product/exact-stretch-bootcut-pants/6439159.html?prefn1=saleStatus&ppid=c1&start=1&cgid=pants-exact-stretch-pants&swatch=n&prefv1=regular&dwvar_6439159_colorCode=327

The exact stretch pants are a little thicker, but for me I like that, I have the bootcut and they aren't too wide at the bottom, perfect for wearing with pumps.

They have lots of other styles as well. Right now they are bogo, which is really nice.

They don't sit too low either which I like.

jenrub
04-28-2014, 01:46 PM
I'm petite and when I used to work, I bought work clothes from Banana Republic, JCrew, and Loft. The have different fit in pants that fit my body type and the length have always worked out great since they were long enough for me to wear heels but not too long that I'd have to have them hemmed. Also, I can always find tops that I liked and fit well at those places.

NJ_Mom2011
04-29-2014, 05:48 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions. For those of you who shop at the Limited, I hope the items I ordered from them will work out, as their prices are great!

mom2binsd
05-02-2014, 09:24 PM
I can't say enough about the pants I've purchased from them...the exact stretch ones are so awesome....I don't need a lot of their "business" style clothing but their short length pants work great for me. I dry them in the dryer for a few minutes then hang to dry and touch up with the iron although I dried my size 2's and they didn't need ironing...my size 0's I air dried.

stinkyfeet
05-04-2014, 04:03 PM
This blog features a lot of professional clothes too.
http://www.extrapetite.com/

Thank you for sharing this blog! Like the blogger, I've often been mistaken for a teen due my younger looking face and short stature. I've been having a lot if fun going through that website!