PDA

View Full Version : School supplies gurus - Prang glue sticks?

Momit
04-27-2014, 10:57 AM
First let me say I can't believe I'm posting about school supplies in April! I have to order next week if I want to get the prepackaged kit of supplies for incoming kindergarteners. I bought quite a few supplies during the clearance last fall, and I actually have everything on the list except some headphones I can order from Amason and six size .74 oz Prang glue sticks (what's wrong with Elmer's? I probably have a dozen of those!!) They appear to be kind of hard to find - Amazon sells a single stick for $8.xx and another place sells them for $1 each and you have to buy 12. WTH?!?

Do I just order the kit so I am not searching high and low for these freaking glue sticks? Or will Target or Staples (or Amazon) sell them for a reasonable price closer to BTS time?

I would love to use what we have and buy just those 2 items, but it's not worth a huge headache. We can just have some extra scissors, crayons and markers for crafts at home.

BunnyBee
04-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Don't kill yourself over the glue stick brand. That's just what the company could get a deal on and maximize profit for the pack. I wouldn't get no-name super cheap "Gloo Stix" ;) because they don't work as well, but Elmer's will be perfectly fine.

KrisM
04-27-2014, 11:35 AM
I would just buy Elmer's.

o_mom
04-27-2014, 11:36 AM
Don't kill yourself over the glue stick brand. That's just what the company could get a deal on and maximize profit for the pack. I wouldn't get no-name super cheap "Gloo Stix" ;) because they don't work as well, but Elmer's will be perfectly fine.
:yeahthat:

Glue brands are pretty much interchangeable. I would even be fine with store brand glue sticks, so Elmer's is even better.

JenChem
04-27-2014, 11:37 AM
I'd use Elmer's.

Momit
04-27-2014, 11:49 AM
Thanks, all. I couldn't imagine why they would choose that brand but thought the list for the kit meant I had to have those exact things.

hellokitty
04-27-2014, 12:42 PM
I like Elmer's the best and that is what our schools wants us to get and IMO the more generic brands have poor quality. They probably have a deal with prang or something. I think that getting Elmer's would be fine.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

ett
04-27-2014, 01:13 PM
I would just get the Elmer's. I'm sure you won't be the only parent sending in Elmer's.

Nooknookmom
04-27-2014, 02:38 PM
First let me say I can't believe I'm posting about school supplies in April! I have to order next week if I want to get the prepackaged kit of supplies for incoming kindergarteners. I bought quite a few supplies during the clearance last fall, and I actually have everything on the list except some headphones I can order from Amason and six size .74 oz Prang glue sticks (what's wrong with Elmer's? I probably have a dozen of those!!) They appear to be kind of hard to find - Amazon sells a single stick for $8.xx and another place sells them for $1 each and you have to buy 12. WTH?!?

Do I just order the kit so I am not searching high and low for these freaking glue sticks? Or will Target or Staples (or Amazon) sell them for a reasonable price closer to BTS time?

I would love to use what we have and buy just those 2 items, but it's not worth a huge headache. We can just have some extra scissors, crayons and markers for crafts at home.

Did U ask the office WHY they have to be prang? I can't believe you have to buy a kit! We supply nothing here - tax dollars do and us parents supplement if need be.

Ask admin or the teacher to be-why u need a special brand. It is just glue lol we use all brands.

Nooknookmom
04-27-2014, 02:40 PM
Did U ask the office WHY they have to be prang? I can't believe you have to buy a kit! We supply nothing here - tax dollars do and us parents supplement if need be.

Ask admin or the teacher to be-why u need a special brand. It is just glue lol we use all brands.

Eta-Walmart sells them. Maybe the teacher wants the purple that dry clear for some reason I dunno....

ett
04-27-2014, 02:41 PM

I believe OP means you can order a kit from the school or supply the items on your own. (at least that's how it works in my school.) The school kit contains Prang glue sticks because they probably have a deal with the company.

Nooknookmom
04-27-2014, 03:07 PM
I believe OP means you can order a kit from the school or supply the items on your own. (at least that's how it works in my school.) The school kit contains Prang glue sticks because they probably have a deal with the company.

I took it as she could either buy the kit from the school OR supply her own which she had already stocked up on, but they wanted prang glue even if she brought her own.

I don't understand ordering kits - we don't have to in my so cal district.

schrocat
04-27-2014, 03:09 PM
Just buy Elmers. Most school supply lists ask for Elmer. It works well.

Momit
04-27-2014, 03:36 PM
I took it as she could either buy the kit from the school OR supply her own which she had already stocked up on, but they wanted prang glue even if she brought her own.

I don't understand ordering kits - we don't have to in my so cal district.

I have no idea - the kit is not required, there was a notice about it in the enrollment packet that I had totally ignored until someone told me yesterday that the kits have to be ordered May 1. I can call the school tomorrow to confirm. I assumed I had to have exactly the same things contained in the kit - all the other things are normal like Crayola crayons and markers, Dixon Ticonderoga pencils.

I know people here have asked about bringing in any pencil and have been advised to get the brand requested by the teacher, but these are not teacher requests they are just kits put together by some third party company.

I am bummed about the required book bag we have to buy. I wanted to give DS a cute backpack and lunch bag, but they apparently have a mandatory school branded messenger bag that kindergarten ears are required to carry (and it's sized for larger kids so it practically drags on the ground). Oh well, the cute bag will wait until first grade I guess.

o_mom
04-27-2014, 04:37 PM
I have no idea - the kit is not required, there was a notice about it in the enrollment packet that I had totally ignored until someone told me yesterday that the kits have to be ordered May 1. I can call the school tomorrow to confirm. I assumed I had to have exactly the same things contained in the kit - all the other things are normal like Crayola crayons and markers, Dixon Ticonderoga pencils.

I know people here have asked about bringing in any pencil and have been advised to get the brand requested by the teacher, but these are not teacher requests they are just kits put together by some third party company.

You would need to have the same supplies, but not necessarily the same brands. The brands listed are just whatever that third party stocks.

For school supplies, I really only follow brands on the crayons/markers/colored pencils, which I buy Crayola. I don't buy generic pencils, but I will get a decent brand that is cheaper than Ticonderogas. Most everything else is whatever brand I get cheapest - we have Office Max glue sticks, Office Depot erasers, etc. Scissors I used to get Fiskars, but TBH, I have had super cheap ones do better than Fiskars, so any more I don't really bother with those.

pomegranate
04-27-2014, 06:51 PM
I think the Prang glue sticks work much, much better. Or at least they did. I have an old Prang glue stick from before I had DS (so over 6 years ago!) and it still works better than any of the Elmer's glue sticks that we have. The Elmer's ones don't adhere as well and they dry out a lot faster. I think I bought my Prang glue stick at a local art supply store.

BDKmom
04-27-2014, 06:56 PM
I would ask the school. At my DS's preschool, they request Scotch brand glue sticks, and specify on the supply list that these are the ones they have found to work best for the types of activities they do.

mom2binsd
04-27-2014, 07:53 PM
Let me say this for all new parents...THEY WILL NOT KICK YOU OUT OF SCHOOL FOR HAVING THE WRONG BRAND OF SCHOOL SUPPLIES, THE TEACHERS DON'T MAKE THE LIST....THEY OFTEN DON'T KNOW WHAT IS ON THE LISTS....IT'S OK TO HAVE 10 MARKERS INSTEAD OF 8....IT WILL BE OK!!!!!

I know some parents really stress about this but it's not worth it. Stick with known brands, and avoid Rose Art crayons and all will be fine.

Momit
04-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Let me say this for all new parents...THEY WILL NOT KICK YOU OUT OF SCHOOL FOR HAVING THE WRONG BRAND OF SCHOOL SUPPLIES, THE TEACHERS DON'T MAKE THE LIST....THEY OFTEN DON'T KNOW WHAT IS ON THE LISTS....IT'S OK TO HAVE 10 MARKERS INSTEAD OF 8....IT WILL BE OK!!!!!

I know some parents really stress about this but it's not worth it. Stick with known brands, and avoid Rose Art crayons and all will be fine.

Lol and thanks! :)

PZMommy
04-27-2014, 11:02 PM
I teach kindergarten, and my students go through glue sticks so fast, it doesn't matter what the brand is as they get used up long before they have a chance to dry out. I think my school district gives us Prang ones, but Elmer's, office Max, target, etc all work just as well. I would stick with Crayola for crayons, markers, and colored pencils though. I've found those work much better than the off brands.

TwinFoxes
04-28-2014, 02:02 PM

i don't know about OP, but we don't have to buy a kit, the PTA arranges kits as a convenience for parents, and a fundraiser for the PTA. And it's not mandatory, although I think everyone who can afford it (HCOL area) buys them, and more.