PDA

View Full Version : This has bugged me from last night

KLD313
04-28-2014, 08:53 AM
I decided to sleep on this before reacting but I'm still pissed.

My boyfriends brother and his family spent Easter with us. My DD barely sat with us or interacted with them because she was too busy running around the house and playing. She sat with us for dessert and that's about it.

Yesterday my bf was his brother. He came home and said that his brother said we should get her in pre-school right away because she's way behind other three year olds. The other three year olds he's comparing her is his friends kid that he sees way more and she's almost four. He said that kid speaks in complete sentences and knows more. Really? Wow! My DD does speak in complete sentences although not constantly. He has no clue what she knows from that half hour she sat with us on Easter! I'm also pissed at my BF who just accepts what he says as fact. He's no child development expert sorry.

So, his daughter has been coming here once a week to gain babysitting experience and she loves seeing the kids. Her mom text me last night about this week and I don't even want her here. I know it has nothing to do with what her father says but I'm just offended and want to say something to his wife when I text her back later. I know I shouldn't but I don't care.

I just find his comments out of line, condescending toward me and misinformed. I don't think he did it to be mean because he's not that type of person but that doesn't make it right.

hillview
04-28-2014, 09:47 AM
wow that is so random and unreasonable. I'd work very hard to ignore it for now. It was what your BF said he said right? I mean gosh it seems so random and unreasonable that I'd be inclined to assume someone just misunderstood something. It just seems so out there KWIM?

KLD313
04-28-2014, 09:53 AM
wow that is so random and unreasonable. I'd work very hard to ignore it for now. It was what your BF said he said right? I mean gosh it seems so random and unreasonable that I'd be inclined to assume someone just misunderstood something. It just seems so out there KWIM?

Yes it's what my BF said his brother said and while my BF may have added in some extra words I still think the brother said it in some way. His family is weird, always butting in with an opinion. I just have a real problem with comparing one three year old to another especially when you only know one other three year old.

I still haven't text his wife back. I think I'm just going to say today doesn't work for me and I'll let you know about Wednesday. I know if I said something to her she would take my side just not sure what good it's going to do except to make me feel better. If I said something to the brother (which I totally would) my BF would be mortified (not sure I care).

TwinFoxes
04-28-2014, 01:55 PM
I'd be more annoyed at my DH. Doesn't he know his own DD speaks in complete sentences? Honestly, it seems like there's something more here. Has your DBF been pushing preschool, and maybe asked his brother? It just seems so bizarre that his brother just randomly spouted his views unasked.

mikala
04-28-2014, 02:48 PM
I'd be more annoyed at my DH. Doesn't he know his own DD speaks in complete sentences? Honestly, it seems like there's something more here. Has your DBF been pushing preschool, and maybe asked his brother? It just seems so bizarre that his brother just randomly spouted his views unasked.

I agree that it seems like there is more here to their conversation.

I'd also take the chance to double check milestones and make sure my child is still on track. People sometimes stumble over their genuine concerns. I wouldn't want to shoot the messenger and overlook anything that might be helped with early intervention.

AshleyAnn
04-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Wow. Seriously 3 is probably the biggest age of variations of skills especially as they mature over the year. Preschool is not a cure all and this moron doesnt sound like he knows anything about child development.

If you dont want the daughter this week say no. Its not her fault but if it stresses you just say no. Or call him and tell him you think her skills are behind and suggest a tutor.

KLD313
04-28-2014, 02:53 PM

Oh believe me I am. No, he's mentioned it maybe once or twice I passing. He doesn't feel that strongly about it or he would make a bigger issue out if it IMO.

I think my DD came up in conversation because their dad was with them and I gave my BF pictures of the kids to give to his dad. Other than that, idk.

My friend thinks I should just cut ties with the daughter and wife and not have her come anymore. Idk.

DietCokeLover
04-28-2014, 03:20 PM
My friend thinks I should just cut ties with the daughter and wife and not have her come anymore. Idk.

This to me seems a bit extreme.

I think the comment was uncalled for and irresponsible, but you said that he is generally not a mean spirited person. I would just let it go. You are comfortable with where your DD is skill wise, so I would just rest there. If something is said again, that would probably cause me to address it, but until then, I would just treat it as a ridiculous comment and move on.

Eta: sorry, I just realized this is the BP. Feel free to disregard.

KLD313
04-28-2014, 05:04 PM
Wow. Seriously 3 is probably the biggest age of variations of skills especially as they mature over the year. Preschool is not a cure all and this moron doesnt sound like he knows anything about child development.

If you dont want the daughter this week say no. Its not her fault but if it stresses you just say no. Or call him and tell him you think her skills are behind and suggest a tutor.

This is how I feel. I'll see if I feel better about it next week.

My DD just walked up to the neighbors daughter introduced herself and asked her name and then did the same to the girls brother. I don't think she's seriously behind here.