PDA

View Full Version : More about Joint Birthday Parties

vonfirmath
04-29-2014, 10:21 AM
My kids birthdays are 4 years and 1 wk apart.

So I was figuring I'd do a joint birthday party this year (My son REALLY wants one. And No one had a party last year). DS will be age 7, DD will be age 3. Theme is Science.

Guests would be all family friends. With a good range of kids such that there are kids both of my siblings' ages. (And maybe their cousins -- who are much older 11,13 and 15 but their mom says would like to come anyway. I know from previous birthdays they'll be fine without having to gear anything directly to them)

The more interactive experiments are all geared to older kids. But I have found a few younger things. Is this okay? Should I be trying to do back to back parties instead so I can do a separate theme for the little one? (who likes things pink and purple -- I was just figuring I'd incorporate those colors into the party and decorate cupcakes for each (maybe different flavors?) to blow out candles.)

Science is a broad theme. Do I need to narrow it down more? (I fear mostly that narrowing down will make it hard to find enough for the littler ones) Could I do separate science themes for the younger and older and basically split up the partygoers for some of the experiments? I was thinking bugs would make a good general theme for the younger ones -- have some worm farms/ant farms to look at and maybe "Build your own bug" activity and such.

Unless I can come up with more electricity ideas. We have an energy stick and could get more. to play around with creating circuits with humans. But most electricity experiments are not going to be real workable for the younger set.