PDA

View Full Version : WWYD Pool safet question (Neighbors)

janine
04-29-2014, 10:57 AM
Our neighbors have a pool and we are in close proximity. We do not get along with these neighbors due to conflict over this pool (constructed last year, they attempted to bring it past town zoning requirements and closer to us,etc).

There is a fence around the pool. We however do not have a fence (apart from what is on their side), so the back of our property is open.

Neighbors have a wood pile on the outside of their fence, piled up to the furthest corner point, closest to us. This has always concerned me. If a child climbed that pile, can easily go over the fence. It nullifies the fence IMO.

I've asked the town, they don't respond and I let it go. I'm thinking of raising it again, my kids are 2 & 5 and at that age where they love to run and climb.

Would this be something you'd raise or is it a legit concern? It is off their property so not sure whose issue it is, but to me the town should raise it to them as a safety concern.

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2014, 11:02 AM
If it isn't on their property, couldn't you just remove it then? Whose property is it on?

azzeps
04-29-2014, 11:03 AM
I would fence my own yard to keep my children in and away from the neighbors' pool.

BunnyBee
04-29-2014, 11:04 AM
On whose property is the wood pile? It's that person's "problem," but I doubt you can force anyone to deal with it. If your yard isn't fenced, aren't you out there with the 2 and 5 year old anyway? I would be more worried about them running into the street than being able to scale a fence. My not-2 year old knows to drag over a stool to reach anything she wants, so I can't leave her unattended anywhere!

janine
04-29-2014, 11:07 AM
It is the neighbor's wood pile and is on no one's property. Maybe the town's in that case?

Yes it is highly unlikely anything would happen, but with this age they run out there all the time and it is a risk. We have gates for back to front so they would not run to street.

My issue is the pile nullifies the fence requirement (4ft). If there are steps up to a fence (which this is equilavent to) then it's not really a barrier.

wellyes
04-29-2014, 11:12 AM
I would ask them to move the wood pile, or tell them the wood pile needs to be moved. Put your stuff on your own property, would be my approach.

HannaAddict
04-29-2014, 11:26 AM
Build a fence for your property. I doubt the town will or can do anything. If you want to ask them to move it first, go for it, but from prior posts it doesn't sound promising. Why haven't you built a fence of your own? The "fences make good neighbors" seems true here.

BunnyBee
04-29-2014, 11:31 AM
See if someone in whatever government office handles property tax, etc. will help you find the owner. If there actually is one, that person would be interested in the neighbor's trespass for adverse possession reasons. If it's the town's, they might also. If your kids get hurt on the woodpile, you'd have to sue the property owner, so they might respond to that (but not really in a positive way...).

Hire a team of covert, trained woodchucks? ;)

I'd build a fence. I like having a fenced yard though, even without inconsiderate neighbors.

janine
04-29-2014, 11:32 AM
Build a fence for your property. I doubt the town will or can do anything. If you want to ask them to move it first, go for it, but from prior posts it doesn't sound promising. Why haven't you built a fence of your own? The "fences make good neighbors" seems true here.

We are all in tight lots - the space to the back of our property line gives a nice illusion of greenery and trees and more land. We have fences to each side (both neighbors).

They won't move the pile if we ask - in fact they probably put it there specifically to spite us (could have put it on their other corner in which case no real issue as there is no neighbor on that side).

When I raised it to the town they agreed it was a hazard but that it was a "behaviorial" issue (ie bad neighbors) and no clear jurisdiction. This is lame to me - if something happened, the town woud be liable I think.

I will rethink the fencing in the back - thanks all.

hillview
04-29-2014, 11:48 AM
I'd put a fence in myself. We have a fence :) that does stink!

kristenk
04-29-2014, 11:51 AM
How about a wrought iron fence in back? It wouldn't disrupt the view much so you'd still keep the feel of more greenery and land.

Nyfeara
04-29-2014, 12:02 PM
We have green chain link around our yard - it's not nearly as 'decorative' as the vinyl and other privacy type fencing, but our views are unobstructed for the most part and the green of the fence kind of blends in. It was cheaper than other types of fencing and pretty much looks the same 10 years later.

khm
04-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Our neighbors have a pool and we are in close proximity. We do not get along with these neighbors due to conflict over this pool (constructed last year, they attempted to bring it past town zoning requirements and closer to us,etc).

There is a fence around the pool. We however do not have a fence (apart from what is on their side), so the back of our property is open.

Neighbors have a wood pile on the outside of their fence, piled up to the furthest corner point, closest to us. This has always concerned me. If a child climbed that pile, can easily go over the fence. It nullifies the fence IMO.

I've asked the town, they don't respond and I let it go. I'm thinking of raising it again, my kids are 2 & 5 and at that age where they love to run and climb.

Would this be something you'd raise or is it a legit concern? It is off their property so not sure whose issue it is, but to me the town should raise it to them as a safety concern.

I fully understand that you and these neighbors are at odds.

However, I don't think this is something that would be on your radar if you DID like these neighbors and/or didn't loathe this pool.

I guess it is possible that kids could scale the woodpile.... but it just doesn't seem likely. Woodpiles aren't stairs or "attractive" to most kids, they are dirty and scratchy and likely to slide/fall if climbed upon. (Which, indeed may cause injury.)

But, I'm unclear whose property it is on. If the pile is on their property (ie their fence line inside their property line and the pile is still within their boundary), then, I don't think you can do anything barring a rule that the fence line needs to be clear of such things (which is a possibility with a pool, I do not know).

If it is in your boundary, then you can do something. We don't have "city property" between our lots, so here, it'd be ours or theirs or an adjacent neighbor's. But, it'd be SOMEONE'S.

mikala
04-29-2014, 12:26 PM
Hmm, I'd be tempted to post the wood on Craigslist or freecycle. ;-)

egoldber
04-29-2014, 12:41 PM
Woodpiles aren't stairs or "attractive" to most kids,

My youngest would make a beeline for it! We had a pile of old trees stumps that we got rid of because mice were living there, and she is still angry at us LOL! And yes, she got hurt several times. But she loved climbing on it.

khm
04-29-2014, 12:45 PM
My youngest would make a beeline for it! We had a pile of old trees stumps that we got rid of because mice were living there, and she is still angry at us LOL! And yes, she got hurt several times. But she loved climbing on it.

Ha, I stand corrected! We have wood piles, and they always ignore in favor of the rock pile. :)

Mice.... there's your complaint OP! A friend was able to get the city to issue a removal ticket for a pile of junk at their neighbor's due to mice.

janine
04-29-2014, 12:50 PM
I fully understand that you and these neighbors are at odds.

However, I don't think this is something that would be on your radar if you DID like these neighbors and/or didn't loathe this pool.

I guess it is possible that kids could scale the woodpile.... but it just doesn't seem likely. Woodpiles aren't stairs or "attractive" to most kids, they are dirty and scratchy and likely to slide/fall if climbed upon. (Which, indeed may cause injury.)

But, I'm unclear whose property it is on. If the pile is on their property (ie their fence line inside their property line and the pile is still within their boundary), then, I don't think you can do anything barring a rule that the fence line needs to be clear of such things (which is a possibility with a pool, I do not know).

If it is in your boundary, then you can do something. We don't have "city property" between our lots, so here, it'd be ours or theirs or an adjacent neighbor's. But, it'd be SOMEONE'S.

Ok thanks for pointing that out (that it is an unlikely risk). I don't know that it is just b/c of the neighbor situation that I noticed it, it just strikes me as unsafe. It is unclear whose property it is in general - I believe their fence is the property line (they have a very small lot). Beyond that, there is forest and then past that a commercial property fenced in. I would have to ask the town.

janine
04-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Ha, I stand corrected! We have wood piles, and they always ignore in favor of the rock pile. :)

Mice.... there's your complaint OP! A friend was able to get the city to issue a removal ticket for a pile of junk at their neighbor's due to mice.

Ah saw this after my earlier post. So now I"m worried once again ;). Mice..good one to add to my arsenal if I call town again.

janine
04-29-2014, 12:53 PM
Hmm, I'd be tempted to post the wood on Craigslist or freecycle. ;-)

LOL. I sometimes am tempted to remove one log at a time surreptitciously. Not like they need the firewood and probably rotted at this point.

khm
04-29-2014, 12:56 PM
Ok thanks for pointing that out (that it is an unlikely risk). I don't know that it is just b/c of the neighbor situation that I noticed it, it just strikes me as unsafe. It is unclear whose property it is in general - I believe their fence is the property line (they have a very small lot). Beyond that, there is forest and then past that a commercial property fenced in. I would have to ask the town.

Well, they can climb the pile, but it'd just be a fall to the ground on the other side. Which isn't good, but they are more likely to climb up and back down on your side vs. leaping down on their side. I mean, there's not one big pile straddling the fence just inviting a walk over it, right?

I get that a pile of wood isn't a great thing to have around with kids for a few reasons, but the actual danger being that they'll get into the POOL via this pile is what seems unlikely to me.

Fight the pile for being a mouse trap, or an eyesore, but the pool angle seems unlikely to get you any sympathy from the city. To me, anyways.

OKKiddo
04-29-2014, 12:58 PM
I think I'd fence in my yard. But beyond that, since they "dumped" the wood I'd either a) sell it on craigslist or b) have a big bonfire and roast marshmallows. ;)

janine
04-29-2014, 01:05 PM
Well, they can climb the pile, but it'd just be a fall to the ground on the other side. Which isn't good, but they are more likely to climb up and back down on your side vs. leaping down on their side. I mean, there's not one big pile straddling the fence just inviting a walk over it, right?

I get that a pile of wood isn't a great thing to have around with kids for a few reasons, but the actual danger being that they'll get into the POOL via this pile is what seems unlikely to me.

Fight the pile for being a mouse trap, or an eyesore, but the pool angle seems unlikely to get you any sympathy from the city. To me, anyways.

The woodpile is straddling (if I'm understanding what you are meaning), it is leaned right up against the neighbor's back fence and the other side of the pile is our property (slanted property line).
I suppose I look at it from the perspective of town ordinance for a 4ft fence for pools. If the fence was say 2 or 3 feet on one side, that's a violation. Now one could say in that hypothetical scenario, oh such little chance a kid would hop the 2ft fence in that spot and go to pool..well then why have the requirement almost universally across this country? Because it happens and for whatever reasons kids are attracted to water.

TwoBees
04-29-2014, 01:07 PM
I recall your earlier posts about building the pool, and at this point I'd fence my own yard just to not have to deal with the neighbors. They are unlikely to change.

khm
04-29-2014, 01:14 PM
The woodpile is straddling (if I'm understanding what you are meaning), it is leaned right up against the neighbor's back fence and the other side of the pile is our property (slanted property line).
I suppose I look at it from the perspective of town ordinance for a 4ft fence for pools. If the fence was say 2 or 3 feet on one side, that's a violation. Now one could say in that hypothetical scenario, oh such little chance a kid would hop the 2ft fence in that spot and go to pool..well then why have the requirement almost universally across this country? Because it happens and for whatever reasons kids are attracted to water.

Ok, if the pile is on both sides of their fence, it IS an avenue to their pool. I would press it with the city.

If they've dumped stuff on YOUR property, they can't do that. I'm thinking it is still their property, but outside where they put the fence?

Really, I agree with the others though, get your own fence. You guys are never going to get along. :(

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2014, 01:16 PM
I really do understand your concern but I think that unless you do a fence or remove the wood (and they might just put something else there to piss you off), you just need to tell your kids that it's off limits.

wellyes
04-29-2014, 01:17 PM
Ok, if the pile is on both sides of their fence, it IS an avenue to their pool. I would press it with the city.

If they've dumped stuff on YOUR property, they can't do that. I'm thinking it is still their property, but outside where they put the fence?

Really, I agree with the others though, get your own fence. You guys are never going to get along. :(

And take the wood too. Seriously. I see no advantage to leaving it there to be a nuisance to you, if it is just abandoned and not on their property

ahisma
04-29-2014, 02:53 PM

And rats! Rats love piles like that. Not sure if your area is urban enough to pull the rat card though.

mommylamb
04-29-2014, 02:58 PM
I'd also be concerned about termites, though at least this sounds like it's not up close to your house. When I was a kid, we had a wood burning fireplace and my parents kept a wood pile outside our garage. Mistake. We ended up with a termite problem in the garage.

squimp
04-29-2014, 03:07 PM
I'd move the wood pile since it's touching your property. I'd probably rearrange it so the kids wouldn't be able to scale the fence using it. Let them come talk with you about it if they really feel that strongly.

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2014, 03:10 PM
I'd move the wood pile since it's touching your property. I'd probably rearrange it so the kids wouldn't be able to scale the fence using it. Let them come talk with you about it if they really feel that strongly.

That's a good idea about rearranging it.

Neatfreak
04-29-2014, 04:02 PM
I'm going to echo the suggestion to put in a fence of your own - it's probably the best way to keep your kids protected in a manner that you can control and be satisfied with. And a new fence would probably mean that the woodpile has to go :)

HannaAddict
04-29-2014, 04:03 PM
Our city has much bigger fish to fry and this is not something based on the comments that would get any attention. There is a solution that is within the control of the OP, even if not her preference and that is to fence her property and keep her children on her property. It sounds like the aesthetics of the view out back are what keeps this from happening. Don't do a big ugly cedar fence. Our former house was on a historic, Olmstead designed boulevard. Total residential neighborhood, big leafy trees and popular to walk on for people. Our house was on the corner and back yard ran along the boulevard. When we had to replace solid cedar fence (old and rotting in spots), we actually loved the connection with the boulevard when it was demo'ed and our fence guy designed a wood cedar fence that left light and view in but kept kids and dog safe and still provided a buffer (house sat up above the street). It was a huge improvement and I got so many compliments on that fence and it was functional but not an eyesore. We actually did that with our new house too as had a large fence and gate in the back. Much prefer it. Prior fence we did a charcoal gray and it receded into the background. Did an opaque stain for current fence that also makes it just blend away. Much better than the wood fences that are ugly and fits in more than wrought iron would in our area (but have seen nice ironwork before). No way would I have a chain link, not done in our area and price point of homes. Good luck. It sounds frustrating.

niccig
04-29-2014, 06:41 PM
I agree that if the main concern is to keep your kids out of their pool, you need to secure your property line so the kids can't get out. It'll stop them getting into neighbors yard or even into the neighboring wooded area. The kids will be able to play in the yard without needing supervision at all times for when they're older. I wouldn't want a 2 and 5 old to have chance to get out of my back yard, regardless if neighbors have pool or not.

Yes, the wood pile could allow someone to climb the fence, and the neighbors would be in boat load of trouble if that happens and someone gets hurt in the pool. You could complain to the city, but I'm not sure they'll do anything about it or if it will happen on the timeline you want.

I would be fencing, there's many ways to make a fence blend in. You're kids will be safe, you can block the view of the pool if you can see it, and pretend the neighbors don't exist!

ETA. Some of the wood is on YOUR property? That I would be moving. I'd tell the neighbors that it can't be on your property, give them time frame to remove it, then remove it yourself if they don't.

TwinFoxes
04-29-2014, 07:52 PM
I still don't quite get the wood situation. Are you saying that it goes like a ramp up their side of the fence, and then a ramp down to your property? Or that despite the fact you both have small lots, there's a strip of no-man's land between the two, and that's where the wood is? Regardless, build a fence. If it's really such a hazzard, if something happens how will you feel if aesthetics was the reason you didn't take steps to keep your DCs safe? Yeah, maybe true city should take care of it, but do you really want to be in a position to say "I told you so"?

mackmama
04-29-2014, 08:10 PM
This would definitely concern me too. I would fence my property if you can. If not then I'd definitely raise the issue with the town in person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

janine
04-30-2014, 08:27 AM
I still don't quite get the wood situation. Are you saying that it goes like a ramp up their side of the fence, and then a ramp down to your property? Or that despite the fact you both have small lots, there's a strip of no-man's land between the two, and that's where the wood is? Regardless, build a fence. If it's really such a hazzard, if something happens how will you feel if aesthetics was the reason you didn't take steps to keep your DCs safe? Yeah, maybe true city should take care of it, but do you really want to be in a position to say "I told you so"?

The wood pile is not on our property, one corner of it is at the point where property lines meet. The neighbor has a fence on their back property line so the side of the woodpile that touches their line/fence is to the outside of their property with the rest of the wood pile on unknown property - the town's maybe? It is wooded area, There is no strip of no man's land between us. The woodpile is big, not something I can move or any one person. It is staggered so yes for kids it is climbable although I think unlikely. Still my kids are at that age where they always want to be outside and find ways of getting into everything so can't assume anything. They are closely supervised of course but I don't like that risk plus what about future owners? The pool is very close to the fence and the woodpile (they obtained a variance to push the pool further than town zoning allows, which is where the battle started). Their pool is visible from upstairs, I can see a child or kids seeing it and wanting to get to it. My girls play dress up in swimsuits all the time as it is! I was hoping the town would enforce as they would enforce fence safety but I get that it's a gray area. The town is typically responsive to residents especially over zoning and safety.

As said above I agree about putting a fence in the open back area. I was just explaining the set up which I know sounds confusing, or why we did not get a fence up to this point. The pool was built last summer. l was posting these questions b/c I wasn't sure if that wood pile was a legit concern with kids or if I was being subconsciously unreasonable due to not liking these neighbors.

elbenn
04-30-2014, 08:45 AM
How about a wrought iron fence in back? It wouldn't disrupt the view much so you'd still keep the feel of more greenery and land.

This is what most houses in our city have when they are on a green belt or creek.

BunnyBee
04-30-2014, 09:11 AM

We have powder coated steel (aluminum? I can't remember which we went with...) instead of true wrought iron where we wanted to preserve the view. Wrought iron is really expensive and requires a ton of upkeep. It's been great to preserve the boundary and sight lines, and you can train some pretty vines around it in places to soften the look even more. :)

dogmom
04-30-2014, 09:52 AM
I get your frustration. You didn't ask for the neighbors to put a pool in, mess up your yard with drainage issues ( if I am remembering correctly) and then sabotage the legal requirement for a fence by putting a big old wood pile next to it. Now you are stuck building a fence for $$$ just to feel safe with your kids in the backyard while wondering if you are being unreasonable half the time and the other half worrying your kid might drown because your neighbors are jerks. I would probably come up with the cheapest fence alternative, who cares if it is ugly, and rip it out when the kids are older. Even those simply plastic construction fences might be enough to remind the kids to stay out.

Ceepa
04-30-2014, 10:19 AM
I don't blame you for being irked. I would look into low cost fencing until DC are older.

TwinFoxes
04-30-2014, 11:33 AM
l was posting these questions b/c I wasn't sure if that wood pile was a legit concern with kids or if I was being subconsciously unreasonable due to not liking these neighbors.

My kids would climb the woodpile if they had a chance to. They climb everything. If there really is a way for them to get to the pool, I think you're right to worry.