PDA

View Full Version : How often does your doctor require visits for medication?

alootikki
04-29-2014, 01:38 PM
I visited a new internal medicine physician in December for a physical. I take 50 mcg of Synthroid for mild hypothyroid issues detected during my first pregnancy (6 years ago). I liked the new dr., he did bloodwork to check on my thyroid levels, and issued a new prescription for me. I had a follow-up session about 3 weeks later to get the flu shot at the office.

I went to renew my Synthroid prescription a few days ago (when I ran out!) and the pharmacy told me that it can't be renewed. Just called the office and apparently this doctor likes to see his patients every 3 months when he prescribes medication. This seems like extreme overkill to me! Is this normal? Were my past doctors just more lax? I can see getting bloodwork every six months or so to make sure the dosage is correct, but an actual office visit? Is this normal?

carolinacool
04-29-2014, 01:44 PM
I visited a new internal medicine physician in December for a physical. I take 50 mcg of Synthroid for mild hypothyroid issues detected during my first pregnancy (6 years ago). I liked the new dr., he did bloodwork to check on my thyroid levels, and issued a new prescription for me. I had a follow-up session about 3 weeks later to get the flu shot at the office.

I went to renew my Synthroid prescription a few days ago (when I ran out!) and the pharmacy told me that it can't be renewed. Just called the office and apparently this doctor likes to see his patients every 3 months when he prescribes medication. This seems like extreme overkill to me! Is this normal? Were my past doctors just more lax? I can see getting bloodwork every six months or so to make sure the dosage is correct, but an actual office visit? Is this normal?

He might be more cautious because you are a new patient (even though you've been on the drug for a while). I think when I first started on Synthroid (it's been more than 10 years ago), I went every three months for a couple of times, then stretched it out to six months. I've been getting yearly refills for the past five or six years. I also take a blood pressure med, and I go every six months to get that checked with the nurse.

In my case, at least, blood work is always tied to an actual doctor's visit. I just can't see the nurse or lab. But that could be just my case.

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2014, 01:45 PM
I have Hashimotos hypothyroid and my Dr. only wants to see me once/ year now. It had been twice a year til recently. I usually get blood work once every 6m (or if things just feel off).

niccig
04-29-2014, 06:54 PM
I went monthly for first 6 months after my thyroid surgery then it become more like 3 months, 6 months and now it's yearly. I haven't needed a dosage change in 4 years though.

I wouldn't want to go every 3 months for an appointment if I've been stable on the amount of synthroid for the length of time I've been - I'd discuss it with the doctor and see if they'll give you longer prescription. If it's to check levels as you're a new patient, see if you can get the lab order for bloodwork so can get levels checked and then they can refill prescription or alter meds without going in. My Dr. has done that when need to check on levels but I didn't need an office appointment, or I would go get bloodwork checked before I had the appt., so he had the results when I saw him - it's happened a few different ways for me.

I'd also be arguing that I need meds NOW and can't wait for an appointment, then blood work before I get a refill. I've had Dr. give a 1 month refill to give me time to go in for a check up eg. BCP and I was overdue for my well women's exam. You have to take synthroid daily, you can't wait.

mackmama
04-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Docs who know me - hardly ever. New docs- every 6mo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ahisma
04-29-2014, 10:35 PM
Docs who know me - hardly ever. New docs- every 6mo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ditto.

I was caught off-guard when my PCP of a few years refused to renew a prescription recently. It's vicoden, but I use it for migraines once or twice a month and have about 10 years of documentation of trying other stuff. Oddly, it's the only thing that works for me and I have a long track record of using it very sparingly.

Come to find out, the formula had changed and he has a policy of requiring a visit anytime he prescribes a new narcotic, which obviously makes sense. His nurse didn't communicate that well to me at all, she said that I should try taking a walk instead. Not what you want to hear with a looming migraine!

I'd just schedule the appointment and ask for his policy so you know what to expect in the future. My guess is that since he changed your meds he wants to check in to see how the new protocol is working.

lalasmama
04-29-2014, 10:52 PM
With a new doctor, I'd expect (and find equally annoying) increased visits until s/he is "comfortable" with me, and knows I'm stable on whatever medication they are prescribing for me.

Nooknookmom
04-29-2014, 11:54 PM
Ditto.

I was caught off-guard when my PCP of a few years refused to renew a prescription recently. It's vicoden, but I use it for migraines once or twice a month and have about 10 years of documentation of trying other stuff. Oddly, it's the only thing that works for me and I have a long track record of using it very sparingly.

Come to find out, the formula had changed and he has a policy of requiring a visit anytime he prescribes a new narcotic, which obviously makes sense. His nurse didn't communicate that well to me at all, she said that I should try taking a walk instead. Not what you want to hear with a looming migraine!

I'd just schedule the appointment and ask for his policy so you know what to expect in the future. My guess is that since he changed your meds he wants to check in to see how the new protocol is working.

Id do as advosed above, let themjkw u cant just STOP hour thyroid med! and ask for a supply till u can get in. i was a pharmacy tech and we didnthat all the time.

I also take regular pain meds for my severe spinal issues, migraines, cervicogenic headaches and inflammatory arthritis pain. I don't have to go "in" for an appt per se...bc I have been in this PM office for 10 yrs. HOWEVER, with the recent barrage of celebs od'ing and many many patients misusing their meds they really tighten their grip. I too was on Vicodin 5/500 which was perfectly fine for me...my dose was under the acetaminophen limit, then my pharmacy pulled it! So they moved me to a different brand of norco and I don't like it a ALL. They also are vey stern on refill dates - so when I'm in UC with a migraine or black widow bite and they say "just take an extra couple pain meds " I am like uhhhh they COUNT so note my chart!!! If they told me to take a walk for my migraine I'd jump through the fone! I want to put my head through a wall when I have one as it is.

I can't fathom seeing my dr every 3 mo for thyroid med! Sounds like either he's over cautious or likes the copay income.

Even my rheumatoligist will see me for labs 3-6 months depending on how I feel.

mskitty
04-30-2014, 01:06 AM
Every six months in person for thyroid meds at the endo. Labs are done every two-three months. She prefers to keep tabs on it as I have been both hyper and hypo in the past year. My dosage changes more than most people's.

Once a year for my other docs.

nicepersonfl
04-30-2014, 07:47 AM
With a new doctor, I'd expect (and find equally annoying) increased visits until s/he is "comfortable" with me, and knows I'm stable on whatever medication they are prescribing for me.

Yeah, since you are a new patient I'd expect to be seen at 3 months, 6 months, then probably yearly from then on...just so the MD is comfortable that the dosage is appropriate and the medication is correct. He/she's got the liability & license to protect. If the MD drags out 3 month checks forever, then I would consider that excessive...unless it's required by law (such as narcotics, ADHD meds, etc).

Edited to add: I would definitely call the MD office and let them know that you are out and need an emergency prescription, that you will set up an appointment for his/her next available, but can't go without your meds that long. Also, I would discuss the MDs schedule of appointments 9how often does he want to see you) at that appointment. See if you can get labs & he adjust meds from the labs without an appointment & see you every 6 months or yearly...etc.