PDA

View Full Version : Preschool staffing issue, wording help needed

mikala
04-29-2014, 03:21 PM
I'm trying to compose an email to our preschool director and could use some help wording it. I think this is one of those situations where I'm too close to the situation to see the obvious.

My complaint: the class has two teachers. The kids just had a field trip and one of the teachers was absent that day. There were some parent chaperones but ultimately only the one teacher in charge. Assuming the chaperones don't count the student/teacher ratio was in violation of state licensing and common sense.

I am upset that they didn't bring in a substitute teacher and concerned that they allowed such a high ratio and I'd like reassurance that this won't happen again.

What would you say in this situation? Thanks!!

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2014, 03:29 PM
Well, first, do you know the official staffing requirements?

wellyes
04-29-2014, 03:34 PM
How many parent chaperones were there?
My son's preschool recently went on a field trip with just one teacher- due to the other getting ill. But every child was there with a parent, so, I didn't see it as a problem.

mikala
04-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Well, first, do you know the official staffing requirements?

Yeah, I just reviewed the state licensing formula online and it requires two teachers for this number of kids.

BunnyBee
04-29-2014, 03:42 PM
In our old preschool (and elementary), parents who had been through a special training were used as substitute teachers. They had certified teachers they would bring in for pre-planned absences or long-term absences, but if a teacher woke up sick, the parent volunteers were used. The exception was the one primary classroom that was all day and therefore required state licensing as a "daycare" and operated under state and NAEYC standards. Subs for that classroom needed background checks in addition to the special school training.

Usually state standards are pretty low. Over 18 and with a GED = qualified to be a childcare provider. The ratios are pretty high too. I think my state is 1:18 for 4 year olds.

I don't think there's anything wrong with emailing to ask about the school's policy for teacher:child ratios, especially regarding field trips, and ask who serves as substitute teachers when a teacher is absent.

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2014, 03:43 PM
I wouldn't discount the chaperones as counting towards the staffing requirements. I might start just by innocently asking whether parent chaperones count towards the numbers

mikala
04-29-2014, 03:52 PM
How many parent chaperones were there?
My son's preschool recently went on a field trip with just one teacher- due to the other getting ill. But every child was there with a parent, so, I didn't see it as a problem.

Less than a quarter of the parents participated so definitely not the 1to1 ratio in your situation. I don't know how many of those rode the bus with the kids.

I think part of my complaint is the lack of communication or acknowledgment that they had a staffing problem that day and they have plans to make sure it doesn't happen again. We know the missing teacher was gone unexpectedly but that's all.

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2014, 03:56 PM
I'd play dumb and see what they say about the situation. Act like you don't know staffing rules.

carolinacool
04-29-2014, 04:06 PM
Well, I don't know what the rules officially are, but I know that when I go to my son's day care, he no longer seems to fall under the ratio. They'll start counting kids and they count over him. I'm not sure if that really makes a difference, but in their mind, since there were three or four parents, maybe they were thinking they were only responsible for 14 or so kids. Would that number have been low enough for only one official teacher?

I agree about playing dumb and the staffing rules and asking.

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2014, 04:14 PM
Also, was it a tour or supervised activity? That leader might count. I just don't want you to go in guns blazing b

mikala
04-29-2014, 04:24 PM
Well, I don't know what the rules officially are, but I know that when I go to my son's day care, he no longer seems to fall under the ratio. They'll start counting kids and they count over him. I'm not sure if that really makes a difference, but in their mind, since there were three or four parents, maybe they were thinking they were only responsible for 14 or so kids. Would that number have been low enough for only one official teacher?

I agree about playing dumb and the staffing rules and asking.

Hmm, interesting point and something I hadn't considered. I think they would be on the edge with the parents claiming their own kids.

Also, was it a tour or supervised activity? That leader might count. I just don't want you to go in guns blazing b

It was a trip to a bouncy house type place. There was an employee there some of the time but definitely not guided.

I have no intentions of going in guns blazing and that's why I want help with framing it. I've had a series of similar concerns but haven't said anything and for a variety of reasons want to voice concern now.

BunnyBee
04-29-2014, 04:31 PM
Hi!

I realized after the field trip on Friday when Ms. Suzy was out that I have no idea what the school policy is for substitute teachers. Would you please clarify that for me both in regard to a typical classroom day and field trip scenarios?

Thanks so much for your time,
Mikala

mikala
04-29-2014, 04:37 PM
Hi!

I realized after the field trip on Friday when Ms. Suzy was out that I have no idea what the school policy is for substitute teachers. Would you please clarify that for me both in regard to a typical classroom day and field trip scenarios?

Thanks so much for your time,
Mikala

Thank you!! This is perfect. This should get the conversation going.