PDA

View Full Version : Feel like something is caught in my throat

marie
04-29-2014, 08:22 PM
But there isn't as far as I can tell. Anyone else ever experienced this? I can breathe okay and when I swallow it almost feels like a flap of skin or a lump moves but doesn't go anywhere.

It's an uncomfortable and unsettling feeling. I called the doctor today and have an appointment with the NP tomorrow afternoon. (It was funny - I was super vague with the receptionist because I feel like it's kinda crazy but when I started to explain a bit, she said "I've had that! It's not crazy!")

Dr. Google points me to "globus sensation"...

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2014, 08:27 PM
Have you had a cough, cold or allergies? I had a cough (nothing else) and a week into it, I had that feeling. It lasted til my cough went away.

mackmama
04-29-2014, 08:44 PM
Have you eaten popcorn or anything that could have lodged in your throat tissue or scratched it to create a flap? You could also have a minor ulcer/canker sore.

amom526
04-29-2014, 08:49 PM
I have had this, but it happened right after I swallowed a pill. It was definitely very unsettling. I went to the dr, who definitely thought I was nuts. It went away on its own in another day or 2. I think my throat must have been irritated by the way I swallowed the pill or something. I swallowed a ton of food and water trying to dislodge anything that was there, but I thin it was just irritation.

marie
04-29-2014, 08:49 PM
Nope, no cold, allergies, etc.

I did start on a calcium channel blocker 3 weeks ago and about 10 days ago I noticed some heartburn which I don't usually get (outside of pregnancy). It's interesting because when I search on side effects of the med that I'm on, it doesn't list GERD/heartburn, etc. but when I read an article on GERD, it lists calcium-channel blockers as a common cause. I'm just wondering if it's reflux or damage done from reflux?? Seems awful quick for damage, doesn't it? I would think that damage from reflux would take months. In the meantime, I took myself off of the calcium channel blocker several days ago.

My cardiologist is out of the country or I would just call him...

marie
04-29-2014, 08:51 PM
Have you eaten popcorn or anything that could have lodged in your throat tissue or scratched it to create a flap? You could also have a minor ulcer/canker sore.
I have had popcorn and though it seems totally nuts, I ate some today and it.felt.so.good going down. There's something very soothing about food going down. (not water, though...)

lalasmama
04-29-2014, 09:00 PM
I work in ENT... "Globus" is one name for the sensation. So is "dysphagia" (which is trouble swallowing, or feeling like something is caught in your throat). Pretty common to have this feeling with reflux. Google Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (or just "LPR") and see if the symptoms sound familiar at all.

Aishe
04-29-2014, 09:05 PM
But there isn't as far as I can tell. Anyone else ever experienced this? I can breathe okay and when I swallow it almost feels like a flap of skin or a lump moves but doesn't go anywhere.

It's an uncomfortable and unsettling feeling. I called the doctor today and have an appointment with the NP tomorrow afternoon. (It was funny - I was super vague with the receptionist because I feel like it's kinda crazy but when I started to explain a bit, she said "I've had that! It's not crazy!")

Dr. Google points me to "globus sensation"...

I get that sensation when I have a GERD flare-up. Maybe try a round of Prilosec to see if it helps? (Note: Prilosec is much more effective when taken on an empty stomach. I take it first thing in the morning and wait an hour before eating. Otherwise I get absolutely no benefit from it.)

KLD313
04-29-2014, 09:06 PM
When my thyroid is enlarged it kind of feels funny when swallowing.

kaitlyns.mom
04-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Tonsil stone?
Beware of Google images... but I know many people who get them occasionally (myself included) and they do feel like something stuck in your throat. Check it out with a flashlight.

marie
04-29-2014, 09:12 PM
I get that sensation when I have a GERD flare-up. Maybe try a round of Prilosec to see if it helps? (Note: Prilosec is much more effective when taken on an empty stomach. I take it first thing in the morning and wait an hour before eating. Otherwise I get absolutely no benefit from it.)
I tried some Zantac when I first started getting the burning in my throat last week but it didn't seem to help. Maybe because I didn't take it before my meal...

Thanks for the ideas. I appreciate it!

Aishe
04-29-2014, 09:16 PM
I tried some Zantac when I first started getting the burning in my throat last week but it didn't seem to help. Maybe because I didn't take it before my meal...

Thanks for the ideas. I appreciate it!

Zantac is very temporary relief. In my experience it doesn't do anything for the globus sensation. And yes, you definitely need to take it before your meal. I hope you get some relief soon! I know it's uncomfortable.

marie
04-29-2014, 09:18 PM
I work in ENT... "Globus" is one name for the sensation. So is "dysphagia" (which is trouble swallowing, or feeling like something is caught in your throat). Pretty common to have this feeling with reflux. Google Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (or just "LPR") and see if the symptoms sound familiar at all.

Thanks for this extra info. IF the calcium channel blocker is to blame for weakening the sphincter, do you think the symptoms of reflux could come on that quickly? (couple weeks?) I should add that the calcium channel blocker gave me a bitter taste in my mouth and I was thirstier than usual so I upped my usual drink - plain seltzer water. d'oh! I cut that out completely several days ago along with the med.

I definitely have some of the symptoms of LPR - and when I say that I started experiencing heartburn it was really just a burning sensation in my throat, not the classic chest burn.

marie
04-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Tonsil stone?
Beware of Google images... but I know many people who get them occasionally (myself included) and they do feel like something stuck in your throat. Check it out with a flashlight.

Oh I've been getting tonsil stones for DECADES! My tonsils are HUGE and I get them often. I did have one but I, um, got it out. :o

marie
04-29-2014, 09:24 PM
Zantac is very temporary relief. In my experience it doesn't do anything for the globus sensation. And yes, you definitely need to take it before your meal. I hope you get some relief soon! I know it's uncomfortable.
got it. thanks.

MSWR0319
04-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Sounds like the feeling I get when my reflux is flared. I needed some good strong meds to take care of it until I figured out what was causing the reflux.

flashy09
04-29-2014, 09:41 PM
Yes, I have felt that! For me it was post nasal drip causing some swelling and "gunk" in the throat. Most people probably would not have been so sensitive, but it made me quite anxious, which in turn increased the sensation of feeling something in my throat.

marie
04-29-2014, 09:56 PM
Yes, I have felt that! For me it was post nasal drip causing some swelling and "gunk" in the throat. Most people probably would not have been so sensitive, but it made me quite anxious, which in turn increased the sensation of feeling something in my throat.

YES!!! It's weird because the heart thing that I'm supposed to be taking meds for, while totally benign, can be very anxiety provoking. My heart jumps to 180 bpm and can sometimes stay there for hours. The longer it lasts and the more techniques I try to slow it, the more anxious I get. Now this throat thing's got me worked up. I'm starting to think that I need to address how I'm reacting as much as the physical thing that is causing it, YKWIM?

Wasn't there a BP recently about getting old? Because, yes, it does suck.

lalasmama
04-29-2014, 10:11 PM
Thanks for this extra info. IF the calcium channel blocker is to blame for weakening the sphincter, do you think the symptoms of reflux could come on that quickly? (couple weeks?) I should add that the calcium channel blocker gave me a bitter taste in my mouth and I was thirstier than usual so I upped my usual drink - plain seltzer water. d'oh! I cut that out completely several days ago along with the med.

I definitely have some of the symptoms of LPR - and when I say that I started experiencing heartburn it was really just a burning sensation in my throat, not the classic chest burn.

It can take just a few episodes of LPR to get your throat feeling yucky, and rarely does it leave you with the textbook heartburn feeling, because its refluxing to your throat. Quite often, we see people with a cough, and the globes sensation and work out the diagnosis from there. If you want a more definitive diagnosis than what your GP/internist can offer, ask to go to an ENT. This kind of thing is seen multiple times a day in their office :) wr do a quick flex scope (painless!) to see if there's redness/inflammation around the vocal cords, and then we have our answer. At work, we recommend Prilosec taken each morning and evening 20-40 minutes before breakfast and dinner. If you don't take it on an empty stomach and then eat about 30 minutes later, then it's only about 50% as effective. It needs to be done for 2-3 months (yes, months!) to be sure to calm it down. Maximum effect isn't instant--it takes weeks to reach its peak effectiveness. Prilosec is over the counter, it's cheap for the off brand, and a fairly easily thing to try to see if it makes things better. A lot of family practitioners and internists aren't really aware of LPR and the treatment for it, because its a fairly new diagnosis-- the ENT association only coined the term about 10-15 years ago.

Of course, I'm not qualified to diagnose over the Internet, nor in my own clinic ;) so take it worth what it is--just an opinion of what an assistant sees 3-4 times every day at work.

123LuckyMom
04-29-2014, 10:23 PM
YES!!! It's weird because the heart thing that I'm supposed to be taking meds for, while totally benign, can be very anxiety provoking. My heart jumps to 180 bpm and can sometimes stay there for hours. The longer it lasts and the more techniques I try to slow it, the more anxious I get. Now this throat thing's got me worked up. I'm starting to think that I need to address how I'm reacting as much as the physical thing that is causing it, YKWIM?

Wasn't there a BP recently about getting old? Because, yes, it does suck.

This is a really good insight and definitely worth pursuing!!!

I've had the throat thing, but never for more than a day or two at a time. I think it would be very uncomfortable over any extended period. I hope you get relief soon!

marie
04-29-2014, 10:26 PM
I really appreciate your non-diagnosis and non-advice. ;)
I think I'll go the ENT route after seeing the NP tomorrow. (although this NP correctly diagnosed my heart thing before I had any testing/monitor, etc. so I feel pretty confident about her!)

I'm a classically-trained singer so I've got some additional concerns about damage to the vocal folds. I was easily hitting high B's in rehearsal last week and I want to keep it that way!

Thanks, again, all. DH is returning tonight after being away for 10 days - your virtual company tonight has meant a lot!

newnana
04-29-2014, 11:04 PM
I have this. It's bad right now as a matter of fact. For me it is completely stress related. My Internal med physician says its a not uncommon side effect of stress. I've had tests to rule out tumors and foreign objects and the like and everything comes back normal. For me it is entirely stress related. And I know what you mean about as soon as you start thinking about it it starts getting worse, because your anxiety goes up about it and that makes you hypersensitive to it and makes it worse! For me it feels like a pill is stuck in my throat. But it isn't. The more I worry about it the worse it gets. When I realize it's going on, I have to start figuring out what is stressing me out as I'm often not conscious of being stressed until it happens.

My recommendation, welcome DH home with boom boom to relieve some tension. You have an appointment to work up a differential diagnosis or referrals if needed, so no need to stress about it at the moment. Figure out what else is stressing you in the meantime and try to knock those out one at a time because, hey, can't hurt, and you'll feel better in general and have a plan for specifics once you know more. Good luck!

niccig
04-29-2014, 11:32 PM
I'm a classically-trained singer so I've got some additional concerns about damage to the vocal folds. I was easily hitting high B's in rehearsal last week and I want to keep it that way!

Yes definitely get it checked by ENT - reflux is damaging to the vocal folds, causes irritation and makes vocal folds more susceptible to damage from vocal abuse. If it is reflux, go on the reflux elimination diet to work out the trigger food so you can avoid it from happening. Medication stops the acid burning feeling of reflux, but digestive enzymes can still damage the vocal folds when the GERD comes up to level of larynx. You want to stop anything from coming up, so you really need to work out what food triggers it in you. I'm a SLP grad. student currently in voice clinic and my professor is PhD SLP, professional singer and singing teacher. We're working with a singer with untreated reflux who lost her top range. Reflux elimination diet has been a major part of her speech therapy rehab to get her top range back. Plus hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.