PDA

View Full Version : Boys too???

unlisted
04-29-2014, 08:23 PM
My kindergarten son came home today and said that his bff told him in recess that he didn't want to play with him. His BFF wanted to play with another boy whose mom said that he doesn't have to be friends with everyone. My son wanted me to call his bffs mom and tell on him, which I would never do. How would you handle this? What would you have said to your son? I guess I thought this was a girl issue, not a boy issue!

boolady
04-29-2014, 08:37 PM
I think that while it is upsetting to your DS, it is entirely within the realm of normal for kindergarten. I would probably tell him not to worry about it, that kids like playing with different kids sometimes, and maybe suggest he see if they all want to play together tomorrow at recess. I don't think beyond explaining that because someone wants to play with another kid sometimes doesn't mean he's not still his friend, there's a whole lot you can do.

SnuggleBuggles
04-29-2014, 08:40 PM
I think that while it is upsetting to your DS, it is entirely within the realm of normal for kindergarten. I would probably tell him not to worry about it, that kids like playing with different kids sometimes, and maybe suggest he see if they all want to play together tomorrow at recess. I don't think beyond explaining that because someone wants to play with another kid sometimes doesn't mean he's not still his friend, there's a whole lot you can do.

Same. I'd just tell him not to worry about it and that it's good for everyone to have additional friends.

vonfirmath
04-29-2014, 09:36 PM
Sounds like my son. Sometimes he's best friends with another boy. Sometimes he's "Never going to play with him again" I just tell him not to make decisions for forever so quicly and let him decide.

Momit
04-29-2014, 09:57 PM
Yes, totally normal. We have three 5-year-old boys on our street and there is always some sort of drama with one on the outs from the other two. The other day one said "I'm not allowed to play with you" to DS and then 5 minutes later is asking him to ride bikes.

dogmom
04-29-2014, 10:02 PM
My kindergarten son came home today and said that his bff told him in recess that he didn't want to play with him. His BFF wanted to play with another boy whose mom said that he doesn't have to be friends with everyone. My son wanted me to call his bffs mom and tell on him, which I would never do. How would you handle this? What would you have said to your son? I guess I thought this was a girl issue, not a boy issue!

Yes, self centered behavior in young children with not a complete sense of social obligations is common to both sexes.

MMMommy
04-29-2014, 10:27 PM
Yes, self centered behavior in young children with not a complete sense of social obligations is common to both sexes.

:yeahthat:

TwinFoxes
04-29-2014, 10:35 PM

:yeahthat: Sympathize and move on. It's one day. The other boy will probably be playing with your DS again soon. What other option is there?

i didn't even know that kindergartners had BFFs!