PDA

View Full Version : Quick! DS's passport is expiring, can I still get him a visa?

daisyd
04-29-2014, 09:06 PM
DS's passport is expiring in July and we'd applied for a renewal last week. Today DH got a work opportunity to go overseas in August and we'd like to turn it into a family vacation. Can we apply for a visa and book air tickets with DS's current passport but travel on the new passport in August? Any BTDT would be greatly appreciated.

Neatfreak
04-29-2014, 09:09 PM
We've always needed the passport number that we've been traveling with for visa applications - this was mainly for travel in Asia and the Middle East.

daisyd
04-29-2014, 09:15 PM
Thanks Laura. We're thinking of going to Asia. What happens if we use his current passport which expires in July and get a visa for August (while awaiting his new passport)? Does the visa automatically transfer to the new passport?

lhafer
04-29-2014, 09:21 PM
Why not just renew it now instead? It's only a couple of months early.

daisyd
04-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Why not just renew it now instead? It's only a couple of months early.

We applied for a renewal last week but the new passport will be ready in 6 weeks :( In the meanwhile we'd wanted to start off the visa process if possible as the wait times can be long.

georgiegirl
04-29-2014, 09:36 PM
We applied for a renewal last week but the new passport will be ready in 6 weeks :( In the meanwhile we'd wanted to start off the visa process if possible as the wait times can be long.

The passport agency was super quick this winter. Out kids got new ones in 2 weeks...with Christmas thrown in there.

lhafer
04-29-2014, 09:38 PM

DH and I both had passports that expired in March. Had them done in March and got them in a couple of weeks. I think DH's might have taken 3 weeks, but I can't be certain as I don't check my mail every day (more like weekly!). They will say it takes 6-8 weeks to CYA, but I have never had it take that long.

hillview
04-29-2014, 09:47 PM
For every visa I've gotten I've needed my actual passport to get the visa.

niccig
04-29-2014, 10:03 PM
For every visa I've gotten I've needed my actual passport to get the visa.

It'll be easier if the visa is in your current passport. Depending on the country, you can transfer visa from expired passport to current passport, but that's another process to go through and some countries don't do this. You'll need to check for the country you're going to.

iaam
04-29-2014, 10:15 PM
Most countries will not issue a visa if the passport isn't valid for at least 6 months. So, the first thing would be to check this.

As PPs have said, you do need a passport to get a visa. However, once you have the visa you don't need to transfer it to the new passport, you just have to make sure to travel with both documents (painful, but less so than transferring the visa).

niccig
04-29-2014, 10:48 PM
Most countries will not issue a visa if the passport isn't valid for at least 6 months. So, the first thing would be to check this.

As PPs have said, you do need a passport to get a visa. However, once you have the visa you don't need to transfer it to the new passport, you just have to make sure to travel with both documents (painful, but less so than transferring the visa).

This is country specific. I HAVE had to transfer a visa from expired passport to current passport for DH on a visit to my family in Australia. They have electronic visas, so it wasn't too much of a hassle, but he couldn't go with the expired and current passport. Each country determines if you can bring visa in expired passport or if need to transfer it over to current passport. OP needs to check with the embassy of where she is traveling to.

ZeeBaby
04-29-2014, 11:11 PM
The passport agency always says 4-6 weeks, but I have been getting them in about 2 weeks the last few times we either applied or renewed. About 4 passports in the past 10 years

egoldber
04-30-2014, 08:10 AM
We got the kids passports in 3 weeks last year around this time.

janine
04-30-2014, 08:14 AM
I'd call the passport agency and ask them your questions directly. I agree, you still have time.

onyx8
04-30-2014, 08:19 AM
We applied for a new passport for my toddler on April 5 and it is still processing.

cilantromapuche
04-30-2014, 10:34 AM

what she said.

daisyd
04-30-2014, 12:15 PM
Thanks all for your replies. I'll wait another week and keep my fingers crossed that DS's new passport comes soon. I'll start the visa process with his current passport in another week.

It'll be easier if the visa is in your current passport. Depending on the country, you can transfer visa from expired passport to current passport, but that's another process to go through and some countries don't do this. You'll need to check for the country you're going to.

Thanks for mentioning this.

niccig
04-30-2014, 12:23 PM
Thanks all for your replies. I'll wait another week and keep my fingers crossed that DS's new passport comes soon. I'll start the visa process with his current passport in another week.

Thanks for mentioning this.

Visas are controlled by the country issuing them. If they won't give a visa if less than 6 months validity on current passport or won't let you have it in expired passport, you'll have to do things their way. Contact the embassy of the country you're going to for information or check the embassy web site for information. I would not start the process with the current passport that's going to expire in August without checking with the embassy first - if they do require the 6 months validity on the passport, you'll just be wasting time and money by sending his soon-to-expire passport for them to reject it.

Hopefully, the new passport will come in time. If you have a time crunch, you may be able to expedite the visa process for the country you'll be visiting by paying for a rush processing fee.

mmsmom
04-30-2014, 12:26 PM
You can call the passport agency to have the passport expedited even after you have sent it in. You will have to pay the expedite fee but I think it will be worth it to have the new passport back within a week or so and then use the new passport to apply for the visa.

egoldber
04-30-2014, 12:26 PM
You can now check on-line to see the status of the passport.

https://passportstatus.state.gov/opss/OPSS_Status_i.asp

daisyd
04-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Thanks nicci, mm'smom and Beth. Looks like DS's passport will be ready soon! Thanks for the link Beth. I Hadn't known I could check online.

hillview
04-30-2014, 07:15 PM

Ok I didn't know this and I have a 5 year visa for India and passport expires in 12 months. Have to investigate!! Thanks for posting :)