PDA

View Full Version : Caught DC in bold face lie and cover up - WWYD? BTDT?

magnoliaparadise
04-30-2014, 11:37 AM
Hi,

Wondering what you would do if/when your DC lies / lied and then covered-up?

I'm not sure what consequences I should give.

My DC, 6, bold faced lied about something I asked her not to do - we were at a bank that gives away free lollipops and she had asked if she could get eight for classmates (at her school during recess, classmates are giving them out to their friends) - I said no, but said that she could get 4 for her and her sister (two each). She was disappointed, but I explained that I didn't want her to exclude other kids in school who didn't receive the lollipops and besides, parents don't necessarily want their kids to receive candy.

Anyway, as I was getting money out of the ATM, I could see through the all-glass surrounding floor to ceiling windows. I watched my daughter take a handful of lollipops from the place where customers can get them, stuff some in her coat pocket and return to me. There was a policeman there and it struck me as hilarious that she was not the least bit shy about taking so many lollipops in front of an authority figure. In fact, she turned to leave and he summoned her back because she had dropped one and it had broken. I saw her thank him and take that opportunity to put the broken lollipop back and get a few more.

When she returned to the ATM, she dutifully gave me the 4 lollipops for her and her sister. When I asked where the other 8 were, she denied getting them, showing me her free hands.
I said sternly, 'ok, gig's up, give me the other 8.'
After a look of denial, she fessed up and gave them all to me.

I was mad, but calm. She didn't appear to really 'get' what the lie was and what the cover up was and I explained it clearly. I also told her why our word and people trusting our word is so important. Then she got very upset and apologized profusely.

I told her that I would think about the consequences and tell her later. And I'm not sure what they should be. I took away the lollipops and told her that she could not have any of them, including the ones that are hers. I also told her that I have lost my trust in her word and might need to check up on her actions (brushing teeth, checking her pockets more often, etc) more now for awhile. I also told her that I was going to tell her teacher that kids were trading candies and trinkets during recess and it was creating exclusion and I was going to ask that it be stopped and purposefully and with show went straight to the computer to send that email as soon as we returned home.

I am mainly just shocked. And as they say in every politician-did-wrong story, the cover up strikes me as worse than the lie. My sweet little innocent girl purposefully chose not to follow my direction and then denied it. I have to watch her more closely.

I am trying to look on the bright side... as in, wow, how resourceful she is! :) and how she is so dogmatic to push for something that she wants at such a young age when I was such a goody goody and terrified of getting into trouble and taking risks. OK, she did the wrong thing, but I like her spunk in holding on for what she wants and hopefully that characteristic will come in handy some day. And hey, she was polite to the policeman :).

But hmmm, I want to make sure that she doesn't make this a habit.

I'm just not sure what consequence to employ. Any suggestions? Any BTDT experience?
Is this normal for this age or is my kid just fast tracking on the 6 to teenage curve?...

UPDATE:
I wrote this in a post below, but I don't think some people saw it, so I am including it here:
- My kid put the broken lollipop on a separate shelf. It was plastic-wrapped anyway and not just an open candy.

- Good point about the fact that lollipops at the bank are for customers not K classmates. I said that, but not very clearly and she probably missed it. I will restate that at some point. It wasn't stealing as the lollipops are free and plentiful to all (even people who just walk in and aren't customers, I assume), but yes, the bank's intent is not to give out the lollipops by the dozen for each kid, true!

- About my kid taking 2 lollipops each for her and her sister - that was actually me allowing her to do that. I do not think it is 'greedy' at all - the bank is not giving out lollipops and pens because they are 'nice' but because they believe (rightly so, IMHO) that it is a good marketing strategy to get people in the bank and to keep people - and they are very (VERY) plentiful with their lollipops, pens, and dog snacks - so plentiful that if you go into pretty much any restaurant or shop in my area and someone wants to use a pen, eg for signing a credit card receipt, the shop has the bank's pen. I laugh now when I go to different banks that have the pen stuck to a metal link so you can't steal the pen - it seems so cheap and petty after being in a bank that has a 'take as many as you want of our pens' policy.

Anyway... I digress. This is just to say - I do not think my kid was greedy and I would never ever say that about her. I think that's a seriously harsh word that I disagree with. If she was seen as greedy by anyone, please know then I was the greedy one because I think it's fine. And if the bank wants to have only a 'one per customer', they certainly don't act that way, practically dropping several towards your bag when they see you.

Anyway, the bank has two colored lollipops and over the years, I have gradually let the kids have one of each lollipop color - thus 2 lollipops each. I have realized long since that this was a dumb precedent on my part - NOT because of my concern for the bank or any fear of greed - but because I don't like my kids having two lollipops whenever we go in - but at this point, I am not wedded enough to getting them down to 1 each to change it and they rarely remember the second one once having eaten the first anyway, so I have let it go that they take two. I think we will be moving away from the bank at some point anyway, making the lollipop-feasting less of an issue. (An aside: I find the 'free lollipops' at banks and even my doctor's office a TOTAL drag - then I have to say no constantly - and if I had been some high finance bank board member and the idea of free lollipops had been raised, I would have said a flat out 'No! You will annoy your parent customers!'. As it is, I usually try to do my banking when my kids aren't around so I avoid the lollipops. But... I am clearly in the minority - everyone around here seems to lovvvve those free lollipops and the bank has certainly not suffered in their decision!

georgiegirl
04-30-2014, 11:43 AM
Sounds typical. I would just take all lollipops away and not let her get anymore at the bank (or anywhere) in the foreseeable future. Just talk to her about why you were upset and how her behavior was unacceptable.

mommylamb
04-30-2014, 11:44 AM
Maybe I'm a lax mom, but I would count this as a first offense, get a warning sort of thing. You talked to her about it, explained why it was wrong, she got upset and apologized profusely. I think what you should do, or what I would do in your shoes, is tell her that this is her one time to get off without a punishment for this, but if she does something like this again, now that she knows better, that X, Y, or Z will be taken away, and make the punishment one that will really be a big deal for her. I also think that it doesn't make sense to give her a punishment for this because time has passed. It's one thing to immediately say, you've lost ipad privileges for a week, and another thing to come back the next day and say that.

My DS1 is 6 also. I can't think of anytime he has done anything similar, but I do think it's a normal thing for this age. These are the learning opportunities when they begin to form their super ego.

jennilynn
04-30-2014, 11:55 AM
My DS (5.5) has been super sneaky and devious lately, hiding candy in his closet and getting out toys or the iTouch after being told no. I think it's just his age but I've been struggling with consequences too. For us it generally involves taking away whatever thing it was he tried to sneak, but I'll be following for more thoughts.

squimp
04-30-2014, 12:11 PM
The consequence of taking them away and having to listen to me talk and lecture would probably be punishment enough. In addition to the lying, I would talk about why what she did was wrong - how the lollipops were just for the kids that came in and not for your classmates. For me, even taking 2 each is kind of greedy. Also, that dropping the lollipop on the ground and then putting it back (yuck!) was also wrong. If it were my DD I would probably have made her take money out of her piggy bank to buy a package of similar lollipops and take them to the bank, but I am kind of a mean mom.

Mommy_Mea
04-30-2014, 12:15 PM
When I was about that age, I was caught in a similar lie. I wanted a candy bar at the grocery store, my mom said no, I took it anyways and shoved it in my jacket pocket. In the car, my mom noticed me fiddling with something in my pocket, and asked me what it was. I made up some lie, but it was obvious, and I was caught. My mom made me go back in the store, return the candy and apologize to the cashier. I was mortified and never did something like that again.

I think for this first offense, you have given her enough punishment, but make it clear that if you catch her in a lie again, there will be more severe consequences.

khalloc
04-30-2014, 12:25 PM
It doesnt seem like that big of a deal to me. I would make sure she knew that I knew that she was lying. I'd take the lollipops away and call it a day.

magnoliaparadise
04-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Hi All,
These posts are really helpful - thank you.
A few things that I should have clarified:

- My kid put the broken lollipop on a separate shelf. It was plastic-wrapped anyway and not just an open candy.

- Good point about the fact that lollipops at the bank are for customers not K classmates. I said that, but not very clearly and she probably missed it. I will restate that at some point. It wasn't stealing as the lollipops are free and plentiful to all (even people who just walk in and aren't customers, I assume), but yes, the bank's intent is not to give out the lollipops by the dozen for each kid, true!

- About my kid taking 2 lollipops each for her and her sister - that was actually me allowing her to do that. The bank has two colored lollipops and over the years, I have gradually let the kids have one of each lollipop color - thus 2 lollipops each. I have realized long since that this was a dumb precedent on my part, but at this point, I am not wedded enough to getting them down to 1 each to change it. I think we will be moving away from the bank at some point anyway, making the lollipop-feasting less of an issue.

vonfirmath
04-30-2014, 01:18 PM
Deleted.

magnoliaparadise
04-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Hi,
I responded to squimp's point above, but since people don't always read the whole thread, I thought it better to update/edit the original post. So my response is above. Thanks!

wendibird22
04-30-2014, 01:35 PM
I think you handled it well and no further punishment is needed. My DD1, almost 7, has done similar (buying treats at school lunch w/out permission for example) and lied about it. At this age the fear of getting caught doing something wrong and getting in trouble drives the lies. Little do they realize that we are more bothered by the lie than by what they originally did more often than not. It's so hard as a parent though when you catch your kid in a lie. Sometimes I feel like my head is going to spin and pop right off I'm so mad. But I have to remind myself that this is an age where they are testing boundaries and learning about consequences.

vonfirmath
04-30-2014, 01:37 PM
Hi,
I responded to squimp's point above, but since people don't always read the whole thread, I thought it better to update/edit the original post. So my response is above. Thanks!

WEird. Your post didn't show up until after I posted mine.

Seitvonzu
04-30-2014, 01:38 PM
another mom to a 6 year old chiming in...this doesn't seem so terrible to me. i agree that i'd go with the "first offense, explain and move on" strategy.

i also get the impulse of your daughter to get the lollys for her friends- it seems the age for "gifting"-- my child is always wanting to bring presents for her kindergarten friends. i think it's sorta sweet! (but i am one of those parents who would rather my kid wasn't given random food at recess... actually our kiddos are pretty drilled about food sharing due to allergies...i just witnessed a little girl at a class party lecture her father about why she couldn't give a classmate one of her doritos when he urged her to share!)

citymama
04-30-2014, 01:48 PM
I smiled when I read your post. Because that sounds like something my DD1 would totally try and do (although she is one level more sneaky and would look to see if mom was watching). And I would react as you did, aghast and wanting to make it a teaching moment. And scold her way more than I need to.

As the others have said, this is very typical. (That doesn't make it OK, but I also think it doesn't mean she is going to be a shoplifter when she's 20). I think you handled it well. My challenge in these cases is to calmly focus on the right behavior expected, teaching what is and isn't OK, and why, and not going off the rails and being moralistic. I guess on the plus side, she wanted to share with friends!

magnoliaparadise
04-30-2014, 01:59 PM
WEird. Your post didn't show up until after I posted mine.

That's so weird! I thought I posted that long ago! Weird. Maybe we overlapped.

speo
04-30-2014, 02:11 PM
I agree with others that it is a first time offense and not to worry too much. I would not let her get lollipops for awhile. Also, at the time I think I would have had her go back into the bank and hand over the lollipops and apologize to someone.

123LuckyMom
04-30-2014, 02:43 PM
I agree that this is totally age appropriate behavior (not desirable, obviously, but totally normal. Your kid is not morally defective! ;)) I think your reaction was very strong and made a big impression. I probably would have done less, but I'm not criticizing. I think your daughter will remember this and be scarred for life in a GOOD way as I was when my mother made me take back and admit to having taken a plastic nail brush I took from a pharmacy when I was three. I never forgot the big reaction, and I never took anything again, ever!

Since you said she would have another consequence, I would give one. Maybe have her tell you how she would behave differently if something similar should ever happen again. I think you've done a good job, though, and nothing more substantial is needed to drive your point home.

crayonblue
04-30-2014, 02:57 PM
I think you handled it great! Lying is a big offense in our house too.

If it makes you feel any better...4 year DD put a chocolate candy bar down her pants at Whole Foods. I saw her as did another customer. The other customer was bent over laughing at the look of total guilt on DD's face.

squimp
04-30-2014, 04:34 PM
Hi,

I didn't mean to put you on the defensive, I personally don't see any reason at all for a kid to get two free lollipops. I told you I was a mean mom!

hillview
04-30-2014, 07:22 PM
meh age appropriate. I'd explain why it isn't ok to do what she did. do some role playing and leave it at that.

magnoliaparadise
05-01-2014, 05:08 AM
I didn't mean to put you on the defensive, I personally don't see any reason at all for a kid to get two free lollipops. I told you I was a mean mom!

Oh, don't worry. I must feel guilty about my liberal lollipop giving. I really DO hate the lollipops, but so far have just let it go under the category of 'choose your battles' and we are working on other things. If I'm defensive, it's my own stuff that I am not proud of giving 2 lollipops!

And I am sure you are not a mean mom!

magnoliaparadise
05-01-2014, 05:13 AM
Thanks, everyone! You have made me feel much better. I love some of your ideas. Giving the lollipops back would have been smart - I can't do it now, but I will do that next time if the time arises (hope it doesn't :) ).

Citymama, you posted that your kid would have looked to see if s/he were being watched - Yes, I chuckled to myself that for all the strategy of trying to abscond with lollipops for her classmates, my kid didn't realize she was flanked by glass walls - hilarious.

Thanks also everyone for the reality check that it is age appropriate and your experiences, both when you were kids and with your own kids of similar incidents.

citymama
05-16-2014, 06:56 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I saw this Slate article on kids lying today and thought of you, OP!

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/the_kids/2014/05/children_lie_parents_should_teach_them_not_to_but_ also_know_that_lying_is.html