PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what you know about Merchandising Jobs (SAHM type jobs)

roobee
04-30-2014, 12:13 PM
I've been searching for merchandising jobs to keep me busy this fall when both my kids will be in school full time. I've never done this type of work before, but from what I can figure out the schedule looks pretty flexible and the shifts are pretty short. I understand that employees typically support just a few lines (like American Greetings cards or Lindt Chocolates.) It seems to just be setting up shelving or retail displays, stocking and straightening shelves and doing some routine inventory counts. What I can't figure out is what these type of jobs pay.

Does anyone have experience doing retail merchandising? I'd love to hear more about these types of jobs and if you enjoy this type of work. Anything I should look out for?

These are a few resources I've found:

Stocking at Target (I think this is for sunglasses and magazines) - https://www.rmservicing.com/careersUS.aspx
Independent Contracting job board - http://castforce.com/

MSWR0319
04-30-2014, 02:30 PM
FOllowing! I've often wondered how people come about these jobs. My second isn't in school yet, but I'd love to be able to do something while they are both at school.

boilermakermom
04-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Following as well. DD will be in school full time this Fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reneed
04-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Me three!

hellokitty
04-30-2014, 06:11 PM
I have a friend who started out as a merchandiser and now she is a manager. I see jobs in our area quite often. I'm not clear on how the pay works. If it is just per job. I had another mutual friend who worked for the other friend, but did not work there long. I think her main complaint was that it paid poorly.

Pennylane
04-30-2014, 06:47 PM
I worked for Hallmark for a little over a year merchandising in a large Walmart store, it was my only account.

When I was hired they told me the hours would vary from 12-20 hours a week. My normal schedule was MWF for 3 or 4 hours as needed and every other Saturday for an hour or two. During holidays , I would get up to 32 hours . Never more as they won't pay anyone fulltime or overtime.

The Pros:

I could pretty much set my own hours.
If my dc got sick , I put my stuff away and left.
Worked 75 % of the time alone.

Cons:
You have to work the day before, day of and day after major holidays.
Low pay, I made 9.15 an hour.
Lots of heavy lifting , which I didn't mind but lots of people probably would.

If you have any other questions , feel free to ask!

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk