PDA

View Full Version : What tradition/story do you tell your kids when your DC loses their teeth?

ckso
04-30-2014, 05:33 PM
DD1 still have her baby teeth but the dentist says she'll probably start losing it within 6 months. So...I'm looking for ideas of what people do to make it fun. Do you do tooth fairy or something similar? Looking for any and all ideas. My parents never did anything with me but i thought it would be fun tradition to start something.

TIA

SnuggleBuggles
04-30-2014, 05:38 PM
The tooth fairy is all we do and our tooth fairy is very low key. No glitter or suck. Used to leave dollar coins but not even that now.

Tenasparkl
04-30-2014, 05:38 PM
Our dentist gave us a great tip that the tooth fairy needs your bedroom to be clean when she comes to get a tooth. You don't want her to crash into something in the dark!

ckso
04-30-2014, 05:55 PM
But what do you actually say about the tooth fairy? Do you just do the classic place the tooth under the pillow and in the morning the tooth fairy takes it and replaces it with a coin?

SnuggleBuggles
04-30-2014, 06:08 PM
But what do you actually say about the tooth fairy? Do you just do the classic place the tooth under the pillow and in the morning the tooth fairy takes it and replaces it with a coin?

Yep, that is it. You could read the Berenstein Bear book about going to the dentist. I bet there are other books about losing teeth and the tooth fairy too.

craftysierra
04-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Our tooth fairy needs the tooth in the tooth pillow on the door or the tooth is not always found under the pillow. Love the idea of the room being clean!

Sierra

Tenasparkl
04-30-2014, 06:53 PM
We put the tooth in a tooth pillow (from the gifting grace sale!). For the first tooth, the fairy left a note and a chocolate coin along with $5. The teeth since then only get $1 and no note. DD has a loose tooth now and has very elaborate plans to write the tooth fairy a note about how she'd like to be turned into a fairy. She hasn't stopped talking about it for weeks and I'm so worried that she's going to be really disappointed when it doesn't happen. We've told her over and over that we're not sure the tooth fairy can turn people into fairies, but she's still insisting that it can happen. Ug.

KrisM
04-30-2014, 07:55 PM
Tooth goes into the pillow and put on the nightstand. Fairy comes overnight. Unless the kid loses it and puts it in without telling anyone.

First tooth for DS1 and DD got $1 silver dollar and $1 paper dollar. DS2 got the silver dollar and a Disney Dollar, since we were there. Other teeth either get $1 or something small-ish. We moved to gifts with DS1 because he lost them so young and didn't care about money. He lost his last tooth at 9.5, so most were when he was 5 and 6. So, they get books, or a small toy.

essnce629
04-30-2014, 08:29 PM
Tooth in tooth pillow and then placed next to regular bed pillow. Gave $5 for the first tooth and I think $1 after (DS1 hasn't lost any teeth in years and DS2 hasn't started getting loose teeth yet). No stories, books, elaborate plans, etc!

hellokitty
04-30-2014, 08:39 PM
Dh is Korean and he was always taught to throw his baby teeth on the roof. He has no idea as to the roots of that. Our kids just get the tooth fairy story. However, sometimes the tf does direct deposit in our version, lol. My kids get a Lego bionicle for their first tooth and a one dollar coin for all od their other teeth.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

elliput
04-30-2014, 08:45 PM
We do simple tooth fairy- tooth under the pillow and a the TF leaves a book (first reader/small chapter book). With DS, I have him put the tooth in a ziploc so the TF can find it easily. :D

DietCokeLover
04-30-2014, 09:49 PM
DC know we are the "tooth fairy" and we give a $2 bill for each tooth.

mackmama
04-30-2014, 10:09 PM
We put the tooth in a tooth pillow (from the gifting grace sale!). For the first tooth, the fairy left a note and a chocolate coin along with $5. The teeth since then only get $1 and no note. DD has a loose tooth now and has very elaborate plans to write the tooth fairy a note about how she'd like to be turned into a fairy. She hasn't stopped talking about it for weeks and I'm so worried that she's going to be really disappointed when it doesn't happen. We've told her over and over that we're not sure the tooth fairy can turn people into fairies, but she's still insisting that it can happen. Ug.

Too cute. Maybe you could leave a little fairy trinket or something - or a little fairy drawing or something fairy-related that she can do craft-wise?

Tenasparkl
04-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Too cute. Maybe you could leave a little fairy trinket or something - or a little fairy drawing or something fairy-related that she can do craft-wise?
Good idea. We need to something clever to ease the disappointment.

avd3875
05-01-2014, 12:15 AM
DD just lost her first two teeth, and we did the same as we did for DS - $1 coin. Just like DS, DD didn't want the tooth fairy to take her tooth, so she left a note which read, "Dear Tooth Fairy, Look at my tooth but don't take it."

We also bought this book (http://www.amazon.com/Throw-Your-Tooth-Roof-Traditions-ebook/dp/B00BS03VEI/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398917559&sr=1-1&keywords=throw+your+tooth+on+the+roof) from amazon about lost tooth traditions from around the world. Amazingly, it arrived via Prime shipping on a Sunday, then DD's first tooth fell out just a few hours after we read the book. She thought that was so cool.

azzeps
05-01-2014, 01:19 AM
We told my niece that the tooth fairy recycled the teeth for babies who needed them. She lost a tooth and was convinced it was true when our daughter sprouted the same tooth she'd lost a few months earlier. ;)

ahisma
05-01-2014, 01:30 AM
We have a tooth pillow with a loop that hangs on the door. We actually keep it on the door so it won't get lost (nothing worse than scrambling for the tooth pillow at bedtime!) The tooth goes in the pillow, money appears. Sometimes DS writes a letter asking the tooth fairy questions and she writes back. He writes a thank you note the next day too.

Sometimes he gets $1, sometimes he gets a dollar gold coin. The first time, I folded a few $1 bills into cool origami shapes - he didn't even take note and just unfolded them, LOL!

If the tooth fair "forgets:, it usually winds up that didn't actually forget but that she hid the money somewhere unexpected for him to discover. She's sneaky like that.

vonfirmath
05-01-2014, 10:45 AM
My husband as a "tooth collection" When the kids lose their teeth, they can donate it to the tooth collection and get rewarded for it.

amatahrain
05-01-2014, 11:10 PM
We haven't had the need for the tooth fairy yet but I love the little tooth fairy "door" kits that you hang up for the tooth fairy to enter through. Also love the previous posters idea about the tooth fairy needing the teeth for babies. There are tons of different doors...

http://www.etsy.com/listing/186972321/fairy-door-tooth-fairy-door-fairy-door?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=children_low&gclid=COSM_ZehjL4CFeMSOgodq24AhQ