PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette for Charm Locket for MIL (my kids, or SILs too?)

wifecat
04-30-2014, 08:03 PM
I'm trying to make a story locket for my MIL (got the idea from the mother's day gift post). I was going to put my kids' birth stones in it with a metal circle stamped with love or something. I have a March kiddo and a December one, and one on the way. But MIL has 4 grandkids - plus the one on the way. Do they all need to be in the locket, or is it ok just to put my kids in it? And should I just get the stone for baby on the way? Due date is Sept 4 but due to pregnancy complications, it's unlikely I'll be allowed to go to my due date. Should I get the August stone or wait?

I know. First world problems. MIL probably won't even wear this.

BunnyBee
04-30-2014, 08:10 PM
Can you do something expandable for future grandchildren? I would include all of them, not just your kids.

wifecat
04-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Can you do something expandable for future grandchildren? I would include all of them, not just your kids.

The one I was thinking she'd be most likely to wear is a bracelet, and I'm not sure how 5 charms will look in it. It can be opened up and changed - I just don't imagine her doing that and we don't live close. Also, the twins (my niece and nephew) are March babies too, so 3 of the charms will be light blue, one dark blue, and one for baby. Is it gonna look weird having three charms the same color?

Oooh, and I don't mind putting my niece and nephew in at all - I just wondered if it was weird either way. Once our baby is born, there won't be any more grand kids, so it doesn't have to expand further!

elephantmeg
04-30-2014, 08:25 PM
I'm doing one that I've guilted my brother into adding $ to! (official origami owl-my other SIL sells it....) for my mom with my kids and my brother/SIL's kids. What she asked for was the hearts for me and my brother and the kid figures for all the grandkids. I did the large locket so there would be room. Both girls are march babies so there will be 2 girls with light blue and then DS in purple. I think it would be weird as a grandma to wear a locket/bracelet with only part of the grandkids in it...

wifecat
04-30-2014, 08:35 PM
I'm doing one that I've guilted my brother into adding $ to! (official origami owl-my other SIL sells it....) for my mom with my kids and my brother/SIL's kids. What she asked for was the hearts for me and my brother and the kid figures for all the grandkids. I did the large locket so there would be room. Both girls are march babies so there will be 2 girls with light blue and then DS in purple. I think it would be weird as a grandma to wear a locket/bracelet with only part of the grandkids in it...

Oooooh, do I need to add dh and his sister somehow, too? Is it weird to have a locket with your grandkids but not your kids? And she has a cat who is really like her current kiddo...but now I'm talking 7-8 charms...

hellokitty
04-30-2014, 08:41 PM
For mil, I did dh and bil's stones, plus all of her grandkids.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

MamaKath
04-30-2014, 09:16 PM
If you are doing grandchildren, you need to include all. Maybe you could do something a little different for the baby to be? Like stones for the grandchildren but a baby bootie for the new grandbaby. I would not worry about putting her children in it. I know my great grandmother had a bracelet with each grandchild added and room for additional. Her children were not included on it.

elephantmeg
04-30-2014, 09:35 PM
I don't think you have to put DH and his sister in. We just did because there was room. I'd send her the baby's charm with the birth announcement or whatever :)

Oooooh, do I need to add dh and his sister somehow, too? Is it weird to have a locket with your grandkids but not your kids? And she has a cat who is really like her current kiddo...but now I'm talking 7-8 charms...

wifecat
04-30-2014, 09:38 PM
I don't think you have to put DH and his sister in. We just did because there was room. I'd send her the baby's charm with the birth announcement or whatever :)

That's a good idea - send that charm later.