PDA

View Full Version : Healthy grab-n-go food for me?

Piglet
05-01-2014, 01:17 PM
I am getting sick of bananas!! I am looking for some suggestions for make ahead or easy to make food for me to be able to quickly grab while DD2 is having a cat-nap or as we are running out the door to pick up the older kids. I keep finding myself starving around 3PM when I suddenly realize I haven't eaten much more than a coffee and a banana all day.

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
05-01-2014, 01:20 PM
Almonds? I've been keeping almonds in the car so I can grab some when I realize that I have eaten as much as you just listed. ;)

eta- I have a box of Lara bars in there now too. I usually eat about a 3rd of a bar when I need a quick bite, save the rest for later.

mackmama
05-01-2014, 01:20 PM
How about Luna bars? You could also chop up some veggies ahead of time and have them in little ziplocks that you can grab. Carrots, cauliflower, etc. Apples are also convenient - or a few PB and crackers?

anonomom
05-01-2014, 01:23 PM
I make a trail mix with almonds, sunflower seeds, craisins, pepitas and mini chocolate chips.

Apple with one of those mini cups of peanut butter.

Veggies with a little cup of hummus

String cheese

Grapes

Yogurt tubes (Siggis makes one that isn't sickly sweet).

ang79
05-01-2014, 01:58 PM
I keep a basket of Lara, Luna, etc. bars in the cupboard and grab one of those on my way out the door. I try to buy ones with higher protein. I also have individual bags of peanuts and cashews, or put some almonds and Craisins in a small container.

candaceb
05-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Kashi chewy granola bars and string cheese are my go-to snacks on the run.

123LuckyMom
05-01-2014, 02:53 PM
I'm all about the nuts and cheese! Good protein, good fats! If I'm home and have time, I'll do veggies and hummus or fruit and peanut butter, but for on the go, I almost always grab nuts and cheese.

brittone2
05-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Nuts and lara bars, produce. DH sometimes has long days at academic conferences and minimizes grains/sugar, and he likes the Justin's PB and almond butter packets. Sometimes dispensed onto a lara bar :)

We have both used and liked these before: http://www6.netrition.com/lc_foods_snack_pack.html They have a few varieties. If I am ordering from netrition I throw a few packs in my shopping cart. I like the peppers, almonds, cheese variety for a quick grab and go or emergency stash for the car.

In hot weather when I'm not hungry, once a week or so I like having an iced coffee blended with a cleaner protein powder like Jay Robb (stevia sweetened), unsweetened almond milk, some xanthan gum (natural thickener), ice, pinch of salt, and a little extra stevia. Might be too time intensive for your needs but I will blend something like that before we run errands or I drop kids off at activities, and it only takes a few mins.

schrocat
05-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Rotiserrie chicken cut up and in the fridge. I used to snack on nuts. I also snack on guacamole and low sodium vegetable chips.

zukeypur
05-01-2014, 07:57 PM
I often eat a Luna bar or a Kind bar. DH takes Kind bars to work, as he usually doesn't get to take a lunch break.

wendibird22
05-01-2014, 09:17 PM
I'm all about the nuts and cheese! Good protein, good fats! If I'm home and have time, I'll do veggies and hummus or fruit and peanut butter, but for on the go, I almost always grab nuts and cheese.

Yes to this. I like to do turkey salami sticks as well. I also like the single packs of tuna salad when I'm in a hurry but can eat something with a fork. They have a few different flavors and all you have to do is rip open the top.

MamaKath
05-01-2014, 11:10 PM
Apples or an Isalean bar or a Slimcake (like an oatmeal cake) and a large glass of water are my go to snacks! Lame, lol.

I often will put together a salad in the morning though that I can grab and eat for either lunch or a snack. It is usually spinach, blue cheese, tomatoes, apples, almonds, mushrooms, and balsamic. Yummy and ready to go helps me make sure I stay on top of the hunger.

kali
05-02-2014, 12:35 AM
Hard boiled eggs
Nuts or sunflower seeds
Apples
Lara bars
Strung cheese or Babybel
Yogurt