PDA

View Full Version : Any way to make your house smell good naturally?

bisous
05-01-2014, 07:34 PM
We buy everything fragrance free as I do not want to contribute to indoor pollution in my house. Is there a way to scent the home that is natural or not harmful to indoor air quality?

TIA!

Momit
05-01-2014, 07:45 PM
We use these:

http://www.amazon.com/MOSO-MB2578-Moso-200g-Natural/dp/B004BOHV7Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398987786&sr=8-1&keywords=moso+bag

Momit
05-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Meant to say that they are neutralizers, they don't scent the air at all.

elliput
05-01-2014, 07:47 PM
One of the best things to do is to open the windows as much as possible. Dry spices simmered on the stove top or in a little potpourri pot. You can add citrus peel also.

Melaine
05-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Meant to say that they are neutralizers, they don't scent the air at all.

Wow...I'm intrigued...never heard of these!

bisous
05-01-2014, 07:53 PM

Me too! I confess, the reason I thought about this today is that we had some old green beans in the fridge that did not smell fresh. I cleaned them up but it seemed like the smell was lingering and I had nothing on hand to counteract it.

We live in a warm climate and we have windows open around our house pretty much every single day.

The idea of spices on the stove sounds good. I wonder if I could pull that off without burning something, lol. Does anyone have a recipe?

SnuggleBuggles
05-01-2014, 07:55 PM
I sometimes just simmer cinnamon sticks. Only burned them once when I forgot about them. Learned my lesson that time. :).

Momit
05-01-2014, 07:57 PM

We really like them. You just need to put them outside in the sun periodically to "reactivate" the charcoal. There is no scent at all, but they seem to pull mustiness and mild odors out of the air. I'm not a big scent person so I like to be able to remove one odor without adding a different one.

elliput
05-01-2014, 07:58 PM
You can use just about any aromatic spice (and some herbs too)- cinnamon sticks, whole clove, mace, nutmeg, ginger shavings, lemongrass, mint, etc. Whatever floats your boat!

brittone2
05-01-2014, 08:17 PM
I specifically love the combo of cinnamon or cinn. sticks, lemon (cut in half, or leftover from squeezing out into water), dash of vanilla, water.

We use essential oils sometimes. I really like fresh ones like grapefruit.

BunnyBee
05-01-2014, 08:29 PM
You can get a wax "burner" (it doesn't heat above skin temp) and add drops of essential oils to the wax. I do that when the blocks run out of scent and actually prefer it to the Scentsy scents. There are bunches of natural wax blocks on etsy. Natural candles on etsy too.

1 part vodka + 2-3 parts water + essential oils in a mist bottle is a sort of homemade Febreze. It works really well. You can do something similar in a reed dispenser, but I think that's straight vodka. My cats try to eat the sticks, so I can't use those.

Simmering water + lemon + rosemary + vanilla smells like Williams-Sonoma stores. Works in a crock pot too if you're absent-minded like me and don't want to boil the pot dry. I have a tiny dipper crock that came free with another.

bisous
05-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Love these suggestions. :) I'll have to see what I can come up with. I think I can definitely do spices and citrus in a crock pot. I don't have a wax warmer but I'm open to it. I like the idea of a mist bottle. And I seriously like the looks of those odor neutralizers!

123LuckyMom
05-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Don't forget vinegar. Swiping the fridge with vinegar would get rid of the yucky Green bean odor. Leaving a dish of vinegar out while cooking will absorb cooking odors. The spices simmering on the stove do smell great, but they won't remove a bad scent, just add a nice one. Vinegar removes the odor and leaves no odor behind.

hellokitty
05-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Essential oils! You can buy a diffuser, which spreads the scent via a mist, kind of like a humidifier. You can dilute some in a bottle with some water and vodka, and spray it. I like to use it in my cleaning products, so it smells nice, whlie cleaning. For freshening up a house, I prefer citrus scents, esp lemon and orange. It's also very economical, a small bottle of essential oils goes pretty far, vs having to buy commercial scent products. You can buy a glass container of lemon or orange aura cacia essential oil for cheap on vitacost.

wifecat
05-01-2014, 09:09 PM
I diffuse essential oils - often lavender.