PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to officially be a WOHM

hellokitty
05-01-2014, 10:51 PM
Well, after 10 yrs of being a SAHM, I am excited (and scared), that I will be a WOHM soon!

I had my interview yesterday, and it was rough, I had to do a formal presentation on a government program that they assigned me to present, on top of the normal interview stuff. While I felt that it went well, I knew that they had more applicants than usual for this position, so I was nervous that there may be other applicants that they would like better. They called me today and offered me the position! In fact, one of my references emailed me last night after my interview and told me that they had just called and spoken to her and she felt very sure that they were going to offer me the postion, since they told her that calling references is simply a formality to them to check off. I am thrilled, since I've wanted my career to go in this direction, but was having a really hard time trying to figure out how to do it, after 10 yrs out of the workforce. I've spent lots of time stewing over what I would, "be," when it was time to return to work.

Long story short, I have two BS degrees. The first degree, I never used professionally, and I've always regretted it. Certain circumstances prevented me from continuing in that field that were out of my control, but I tried not to let it get me down and I switched fields by pursing a second degree, which I did use professionally. However, I got burned out (not uncommon), and had no hesitation in taking a leave of absence as a sahm when DS1 came along and had been dreading the idea of returning back to that field, even though I've kept up my professional license. I also volunteered extensively in the past 10 yrs and they told me that they considered my volunteer experience as good as paid experience, since the experience and skills apply to this job! So, the job I will be starting actually is geared more toward the qualifications of someone with my orginal BS degree, but they were impressed with my additional background from my 2nd BS degree, along with my volunteer experience (both are assets to this position) and presentation. This position is very independent project oriented and basically, my experience and skills were the perfect fit. After being a sahm so long, you really doubt how marketable you are to employers when you want to return to work. I applied to this job with a, "what do I have to lose" attitude, and I'm glad that I applied, put my best foot forward and didn't talk myself out of it. Trust me, I had a lot of doubts about how far I would even make it through this application process.

Now I'm just stressed out about childcare. It's a full time position, and strangely, the logistics of childcare are what are worrying me the most right now. However, I'm sure that we will figure it out. Anyway, I just thought I'd share, to give other SAHMs who are thinking about re-entering the workforce, know that it is possible. Don't discount the value of volunteer work! I feel strongly that it was actually my volunteer work that really made me stand out. My friends have teased me before for being a, "professional volunteer. However, I put all of those volunteer experiences on my resume, because I felt that I deserved credit for the work that I did, even if it wasn't paid work.

SnuggleBuggles
05-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Congratulations!! That's awesome!!

BDKmom
05-01-2014, 11:00 PM
That's wonderful! Congrats!! Way to go!

♥ms.pacman♥
05-01-2014, 11:06 PM
oh wow, congratulations!!! so happy for you!!!

:cheerleader1:

westwoodmom04
05-01-2014, 11:08 PM
Congratulations, great news

Momit
05-01-2014, 11:11 PM
Congratulations!

niccig
05-01-2014, 11:15 PM
Woo Hoo. What fabulous news!! I know you've gone back and forth over entering the workforce due to your DH's hours and not wanting to go back to what you did before. This position sounds like a great fit for what you want to be doing.

I agree that the child care piece is the difficult part, but you'll work out. Can the older boys go to school after care? DS does a combination of aftercare and a babysitter. I am asking a favour of a friend next week as DS has an early dismissal and I can't get there until 45 mins later, so she's taking her son and DS to the park until I get there. I try not to ask for favors as don't want to impose, but when I'm in a jam, friends have been willing to help out, and then I'll take their kids another time. I'm also on back-up call for a single mum that has been late once too often for pick-up. A couple of us mums live near the school, so if she knows she'll be late, she calls one of us and we get her son from aftercare. It takes a village.

Kindra178
05-01-2014, 11:19 PM
Awesome. Congrats!

ett
05-01-2014, 11:19 PM
Congratulations! That's great news!

anonomom
05-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Congrats! What great news! I look forward to updates as you settle in

ourbabygirl
05-01-2014, 11:22 PM
That's so exciting! Congrats, and thanks for sharing your story! It's awesome that you found a job that's a perfect fit for what you want right now, and that your volunteer experience really helped seal the deal for them! :)

PunkyBoo
05-01-2014, 11:39 PM
Congratulations! It's a tough transition but it will be easier since its what you WANT to be doing.

I went through the same thing 2 years ago after 8.5 years SAHM. My DH and I both leave for work super early so our nanny arrives at 6am each day and we pay her more like a salary so that she can be more flexible about hours - she's there if we have commitments like parents night at school and will come for date nights on the weekends. It's worked out really well for us and the kids love being home. I promised Punkin that just because I was going to work didn't mean HIS routines should change. So he has the same schedules he would have had with me home but now the nanny does it instead.

Congrats again and good luck!

Globetrotter
05-01-2014, 11:44 PM
Oh wow, that's fantastic, esp. That they considered your volunteer experience! :cheerleader1:

hellokitty
05-01-2014, 11:48 PM
Thanks everyone!

Woo Hoo. What fabulous news!! I know you've gone back and forth over entering the workforce due to your DH's hours and not wanting to go back to what you did before. This position sounds like a great fit for what you want to be doing.

I agree that the child care piece is the difficult part, but you'll work out. Can the older boys go to school after care? DS does a combination of aftercare and a babysitter. I am asking a favour of a friend next week as DS has an early dismissal and I can't get there until 45 mins later, so she's taking her son and DS to the park until I get there. I try not to ask for favors as don't want to impose, but when I'm in a jam, friends have been willing to help out, and then I'll take their kids another time. I'm also on back-up call for a single mum that has been late once too often for pick-up. A couple of us mums live near the school, so if she knows she'll be late, she calls one of us and we get her son from aftercare. It takes a village.

Thanks, Nicci, for remembering and for the suggestions. Yes, my dh's hours are erratic, to say the least. I think that what stinks is that in the end, we will end up paying for full time childcare (in the summer), even though we wouldn't be utilizing all of the hours. My dh is home some mornings to get the kids to school and some afternoons to meet the kids after school, but it's always a toss up, you just never know what is going to happen to his schedule. The kids would only be home for 40 min (if dh isn't home), before I get home, so we may not need afterschool care.

Luckily, the job officially starts the beginning of June, my kids' last day of school is May 30, so at least we can just focus on figuring out summer daycare first. Before school care is a big deal, b/c we often end up with school delays or snow days in the winter, so we have to have some sort of back up plan. The good thing is that, off the record, my soon-to-be supervisor let me know that she is laid back about hours. As long as I figure out how to get my hours in (can come in earlier or stay later) and get my projects completed, she doesn't care if I leave early if I need to pick up or drop off a child, attend a soccer game, etc.. She seems pretty understanding, and shared with me that she is a mom to three kids too, so she knows how it is. She told me that the previous person also had younger kids and that this job is a good fit for moms. I am the only person with the position, so it is independent and it does require a lot of out-of-office time, I'll definitely be logging a lot of mileage. So, we shall see. I just cannot rely on dh's schedule, so I think that in the end, we will have to arrange daycare according to my, 8-5 schedule for the summer and definitely in the mornings during the school year and if dh picks the kids up early or drops them off later, then that's fine, we'll have to eat the cost of full daycare.

wencit
05-01-2014, 11:53 PM
Oh wow, congratulations! So excited for you!!!

123LuckyMom
05-01-2014, 11:55 PM
Congratulations!!! And thanks for sharing!

I'll be crossing my fingers for good childcare options for you!

carolinacool
05-02-2014, 12:33 AM
Congrats!!

MontrealMum
05-02-2014, 12:36 AM
Big congratulations to you! How exciting!!!

Philly Mom
05-02-2014, 01:21 AM
Congrats! Very exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
05-02-2014, 01:44 AM
Yay! Congrats and good luck!

alexsmommy
05-02-2014, 06:43 AM
Congrats! What a great way to go back.
Yes, childcare for WOHM is always feels a bit dicey, especially after you have been with them this entire time. The idea that someone else can provide great care can be scary. However, I do think that in many cases, childcare can be a great thing. Different perspective, more personalities for your DC to navigate. I nannied while getting research experience before grad school and I was a much calmer more patient nanny than I am mother at times, simply because I always knew at some point in the day I'd go off the clock. Built in recharging.

The nice thing is you are going back after all three of you DC can tell you outright if there is an issue with their care. I'm sure you will find a situation that works great for you and your family. Enjoy this next chapter of your life!

firstbaby
05-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Congratulations! I hope a great child care solution will fall into place quickly for you!

brittone2
05-02-2014, 07:19 AM
So happy for you!!! Way to go!

DietCokeLover
05-02-2014, 07:31 AM
Congratulations! Such an exciting time for you!

hillview
05-02-2014, 07:52 AM
great news congrats!

Pennylane
05-02-2014, 07:54 AM
Congrats!!

Ann

egoldber
05-02-2014, 08:14 AM
Congrats!!!!!

Yes, child care is the main issue for many working parents, even with school age kids. In some ways, younger kids and daycare is a lot easier. With school age kids I feel like we're always cobbling together some kind of haphazard plan!

hellokitty
05-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Congrats!!!!!

Yes, child care is the main issue for many working parents, even with school age kids. In some ways, younger kids and daycare is a lot easier. With school age kids I feel like we're always cobbling together some kind of haphazard plan!

Exactly! I feel this way now, and I had looked into a job a couple yrs ago and realized that this would be a problem, but there is no way around it. Esp since we live in an area that gets lots of snow delays and snow days, I really have to have things ready to go for damage control for situations like that.

egoldber
05-02-2014, 08:36 AM
Well, this winter was so incredibly awful! Hopefully the next few will be mild. :)

Can you use annual or sick leave for child care? That is a blessing for me. Also, I have the flexibility of teleworking on days when the weather is poor.

I just cannot rely on dh's schedule, so I think that in the end, we will have to arrange daycare according to my, 8-5 schedule for the summer and definitely in the mornings during the school year and if dh picks the kids up early or drops them off later, then that's fine, we'll have to eat the cost of full daycare.

It took me awhile, but I finally realized that even with DH being mainly WAH and my flexibility, I had to start thinking of child care for my older kids as a fixed expense. It's just a monthly line item and even if I don't get the "full" value of it some months, it's still something I just have to pay. It's like health insurance. :) Sometimes I really need it, and sometimes I don't, but I pay it anyway so that it is there when I need it.

I also realized that it benefited my kids to have a consistent routine. It was stressful for them to have some afternoons at home, some with a sitter, etc. Going to after care every day helped to normalize the change for them.

kdeunc
05-02-2014, 08:36 AM
Congratulations! The childcare piece always is a challenge for me. My DH 's hours don't allow for any am help and sometimes the evenings are sketchy but we have made it work. I am sure you will find a good solution!

KpbS
05-02-2014, 08:52 AM
Congratulations!

Is your youngest starting school (Kindergarten) this fall? Do you have summer care/camps lined up? There are a few in our area that are outdoorsy camps where all of your DC could attend the same camp, everyday, every week of the summer if needed. I bet your local parks assn. has some good options available. :)

lizzywednesday
05-02-2014, 09:13 AM
Congratulations! Once you figure out the childcare piece, and it's OK to feel woozy the first couple of days your youngest is in full-time childcare (or whatever you end up doing), it'll be a cakewalk.

I am very happy for you, hellokitty, and hope you will be happy with your newest position. =)

westwoodmom04
05-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Congratulations!

Is your youngest starting school (Kindergarten) this fall? Do you have summer care/camps lined up? There are a few in our area that are outdoorsy camps where all of your DC could attend the same camp, everyday, every week of the summer if needed. I bet your local parks assn. has some good options available. :)

Summer is a good time to start work because unlike school, camp never gets cancelled.

janine
05-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Wow, congrats, that's a very inspirational story! What field are you in? Also a great story of how volunteer work is both an honorable thing as well as useful down the line! I admit being skeptical of that in the past (how useful it was for the resume).

Like others I agree, the hardest part of WOHM is balancing childcare and racing against the clock once you're off the work clock! The work piece is easy lol!
I actually may do the reverse from you once my kids are grade school age (as someone mentioned it gets tougher with that age group's schedules plus different drop offs) but once they are much older/independent I'd like to return in some form.

Keep us posted so we can follow along and congrats again! Also your boss being laid back on hours coming/going is huge.

egoldber
05-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Summer is a good time to start work because unlike school, camp never gets cancelled.

Well, not usually. But remember the derecho summer? Plenty of camps were cancelled that week and even longer because facilities didn't have power, some of them for over a week!

And I've been called to pick up kids early more than once because a building lost power in a thunderstorm.

hellokitty
05-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Well, this winter was so incredibly awful! Hopefully the next few will be mild. :)

Can you use annual or sick leave for child care? That is a blessing for me. Also, I have the flexibility of teleworking on days when the weather is poor.

It took me awhile, but I finally realized that even with DH being mainly WAH and my flexibility, I had to start thinking of child care for my older kids as a fixed expense. It's just a monthly line item and even if I don't get the "full" value of it some months, it's still something I just have to pay. It's like health insurance. :) Sometimes I really need it, and sometimes I don't, but I pay it anyway so that it is there when I need it.

I also realized that it benefited my kids to have a consistent routine. It was stressful for them to have some afternoons at home, some with a sitter, etc. Going to after care every day helped to normalize the change for them.

Yes, it will just have to be part of our monthly expenses. I already told dh that we can take childcare out of my pay, but ideally, I would like us to NOT touch my salary, build up a nest egg and invest for retirement/college savings. This job doesn't pay that well and he keeps pointing out that if I went back to nursing, that I could be making more. However, I'd be miserable going back to working 12 hr shifts (I know everyone always praises how, "flexible" nursing is, but the 12 hr shifts, really suck, it takes me an entire day after a 12 hr shift to recover, so working 3x a wk, isn't as great as it sounds, and I basically wouldn't see my kids AT ALL, except for maybe a bedtime kiss on work days, assuming I could even find a daytime shift).

Of course, my dh is fine with going with full time daycare, and I asked if he was going to pick kids up early if he got out early for work and he was like, "well, so and so would go to the movies or go golfing, since they were already paying for childcare." UGH. So, it hasn't hit him yet, that all of these chores at home, aren't just going to magically happen. My dh is on call a lot, BUT he can usually cover call from home, so he does have downtime at home, but it's just unpredictable when that will be and I don't think it's dawned on him yet that he needs to pick up the slack at home. However, I see your point about routines for kids and how it makes it a little bit easier. I *could* use some pto time, BUT this winter we got 10 snow days, and probably at least 10 (I lost count, we had so many) 2 hr delays. We still usually get at least a minimum of 2-4 snow days a yr on avg, plus countless delays, our district uses 2 hr delays liberally, since it doesn't count toward attendance by state guidelines. I could probably get by working at home on days like snow days, seeing how a lot of my work will involve dealing with local agencies, schools and organizations, and if there is a snow day, then most everyone else will be shut down too.

Congratulations!

Yup, I just spoke to the school and switched him from half day K to full day K, which includes tuition, but it is waaaay cheaper compared to half day daycare and I think that he will do fine, even though he will be one of the youngest in his class (original thought was to let him do a yr of half day K and if he wasn't ready for first, let him do another yr of full day K, his bday is less than a wk from our district cut off). As far as camps, this is the part I feel badly about. My kids won't be able to participate in camps. The camps around here are all like 1 wk camps, and with nobody to trek them around, they are going to be stuck at the daycare provider's place.

Wow, congrats, that's a very inspirational story! What field are you in? Also a great story of how volunteer work is both an honorable thing as well as useful down the line! I admit being skeptical of that in the past (how useful it was for the resume).

Like others I agree, the hardest part of WOHM is balancing childcare and racing against the clock once you're off the work clock! The work piece is easy lol!
I actually may do the reverse from you once my kids are grade school age (as someone mentioned it gets tougher with that age group's schedules plus different drop offs) but once they are much older/independent I'd like to return in some form.

Keep us posted so we can follow along and congrats again! Also your boss being laid back on hours coming/going is huge.

I have a degree in dietetics, but I did not match. This is the same process as medical school residency, except that there are waaaay more medical residency spots, than they are dietetic internships and worse yet, many dietetic internships make you PAY tuition and they keep cutting internships. They did not tell us in the program, just how few ppl actually match, which I still have a beef about. Every yr the profs said that there is one student that gets screwed and should have matched but didn't. Can you guess who it was that year? Yup, me. So, not doing a dietitic internship, to sit for my board exams to become an RD really prevented me from utilizing the degree the way I wanted to. I knew that I'd eventually want to get into community health, so got my BS in nursing, thinking it would be a different avenue, but ended up liking critical care and while I liked it, I got burned out on it, and knew that once we had kids, the whole 12 hr shift and dh's crazy hours wouldn't work out, so I'd have to SAH. I did a short stint in occupational health and it was ok, but boring. We live in a more rural area, so community health positions are hard to come by, most jobs are either hospital or nursing home, neither of which I wanted to go back to, I would have loved to go into research nursing or some other sub-specialty, but I'd have to commute over an hr each day to even find a job like that.

The volunteer work I've done has included serving 3 yrs as a moms club VP with my primary focus being social service projects. I just coordinated a very successful read-a-thon fundraiser, that our school had never one before, that was a two month project, and pretty much like a job in itself, I also am a program director for a sleep away summer camp that my kids attend each summer and most importantly, I've served seven yrs as an active LLL leader. The position I accepted is a grant funded nutrition educator position. Due to my varied background, it made me a very well rounded candidate. They also wanted someone who knew the area (we've lived here for 11 yrs). I do not think that they have ever hired a nurse for this position before (so I don't think that someone with only a nursing degree would have been a strong candidate), but the combo of my nursing and dietetics degree, along with my LLL experience (I think that this was important to them, since this position is very indep and with LLL, leaders are very indep, you have to take care of all of the logistics and paperwork on your own, nobody is going to keep after you over this kind of stuff, etc.) made me an attractive candidate. The pay is not great. I would make more as a hospital nurse, but like I said, I have not been thrilled with going back to clinical nursing, and I've actually stewed over whether to pursue my advanced practice nursing degree (ie: CRNA, NP, clinical nurse specialist, etc.) for a very long time, not sure if it would end up being a waste of time, and I'd still end up unhappy, and it would also mean a lot of $$$ to go back to grad school. One nice perk for this job is that I get 100% tuition reimbursement. So, I have plans to get my masters and if possible, would love to pursue a phd, as long as everything goes smoothly, but I still want to figure out what area I'd like to purse a masters in. It will not be in nursing, but probably more toward health education or public health.

sste
05-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Congrats! Go out and celebrate with a special dinner with your dh, pedicure, whatever! You will have time enough to deal with the details of childcare. :) Also, FWIW, while we have had some duds, overall we have become friends (as in attend weddings, go to baby showers, now hang out with) several of our babysitters. They have really enriched all of our lives.

lmh2402
05-02-2014, 01:23 PM
congratulations!! go you! :jammin:

mommylamb
05-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Congratulations!

goldenpig
05-02-2014, 03:20 PM
Congrats! This sounds like a perfect job for you and how great that you can use all of your prior experience with both degrees and your volunteer work. Best of luck and congrats on the new job! So excited for you!

daisyd
05-02-2014, 03:31 PM
Congrats! So happy for you!

mommyp
05-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Congratulations, how exciting! Sounds like a good fit for you!

speo
05-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Congrats!! I hope to follow someday. It is so nice to see a sahm make it back to the working world. :)

baymom
05-02-2014, 08:07 PM
Congratulations Hellokitty!!! I just went back to work after being a SAHM for 8 years, last year--but part time. Figuring out childcare was the most stressful part for me, too--despite being PT, since DD is on a traditional schedule and DS on year around. But, it does all fall into place. The other big thing for me was getting used to accomplishing all the errands I used to do while the kids were at school either with them or in the evenings after DH got home. Once I gave myself permission/came to terms with it being okay for certain things to slide, I felt a lot better. It took me 6 months before I finally felt like I'd transitioned successfully into being a WOHM. So, be gentle with yourself, it's so exciting and wonderful but still a big adjustment for the entire family. So happy for you!

citymama
05-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Wow, congrats! You must have really rocked the interview - the job market is so competitive these days! I'm sure you'll be terrific at your new job, with the management and leadership skills gained over the last decade as mom of 3. I find work is a piece of cake sometimes compared to my other ft job as mom. All the best to you!

TxCat
05-02-2014, 11:01 PM
Congratulations!! Very exciting news!

DualvansMommy
05-02-2014, 11:10 PM
How thrilling!!!! Congrats !!! My nuns in catholic school always emphasized on lots of volunteer work, sounds like it paid off for you. Good luck to a new and exciting phase of your life :-)

bigsis
05-03-2014, 12:41 AM
:cheerleader1: :cheerleader1: Congratulations!!!! :cheerleader1: :cheerleader1:

niccig
05-03-2014, 01:31 AM
I found the most difficult part of transition from SAHM to work/study was childcare arrangements and changing family expectations. DS actually adapted easier than DH, as DH was just so used to me doing everything. It's taken time, conversations, making out chore lists etc. We all have chores that need to be done each week. Eg. DH does laundry and vacuums. DS washes sheets and towels, puts clean sheets on the bed. I'm bathroom, kitchen, grocery shopping, cooking. It's not always done as I would like it, but it gets done. I had to let a lot go. My house is messier at times, but it all gets done eventually.

ZeeBaby
05-03-2014, 07:40 AM
Congrats on your new job! I agree with Niccig about the hardest part being mindset. I have always worked out of the home, but we put a lot of pressure on ourselves to be super moms and our families match that pressure. Be realistic about what you can do and do your best. There will always be an area where you feel you can do better. For me it is preparing better meals and keeping a neater house. I strive to do better at those things, but I stopped stressing myself out about it. I just do my best.

arivecchi
05-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Congratulations! Hope you have a smooth transition!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seitvonzu
05-03-2014, 09:23 AM
awesome! :) i'm really impressed that you just went for it-- very brave! i'm sure it will be a big transition , but it sounds like you have the right attitude. you rock Mama!

boltfam
05-03-2014, 10:01 AM
Congratulations!

polkadots&moonbeams
05-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Congratulations, what a blessing for you and your family! I have 2 jobs, one outside the home and one at home. I'm lucky to not have the childcare dilemma since my kids are old enough to care for themselves as long as I'm present, but it can be a balancing act. When they're home I have to prioritize between work and family and be sure to not bump their needs for work needs. I sneak in work time when I can but they are priority #1.

american_mama
05-03-2014, 05:23 PM
Congratulation! I am 3 weeks into a similar situation (part-time job after 12 years as a SAHM). I am very happy working and hear you about really doubting your employability. For child care, I am doing after-school care through the school for my youngest kids, something which I in the past claimed was not high quality enough, but which suits my current needs well. For you, I'd focus on finding an immediate after-school solution through the end of the school year and changing it as needed in the fall once you have gotten in a bit of a groove with the job. For the summer, I mapped it out week-by-week and am finding various solutions involving fun camps, cheap parks and rec camps, DH staying home, the kids going one week to my parents, etc. For the remaining weeks, I am hoping to hire a college-aged babysitter with plans for pool, library and park trips. My kids are really flexible, especially in the summer, and think this will work fine. The summer care is expensive, no doubt, but I am glad my kids can go to some of the more $$$ camps that I really couldn't justify in the past.