PDA

View Full Version : Recommend cooking knife for 9 year olds

Percycat
05-02-2014, 04:10 PM
I am taking my Brownie troop camping for the first time this month. I would like to have a knife that is easy and safer for them to use to help prepare meals. I thought I remembered seeing a post recently discussing knives for kids -- and perhaps using steak knives with rounded tips instead of typical points --- but, but I can't find that thread today. [The girls will be taught knife safety and supervised....]

So, I would love any recommendations for affordable knives that would be good for 9 year old girls to cut tomatoes, vegetables, fruit etc. If it comes with a sheath even better.

Thanks!

94bruin
05-02-2014, 04:40 PM
When DD1 went camping with her troop 2 years ago, they used a wavy cutter like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Vegetable-Chopper-Knife-Stainless/dp/B0001XXCYC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399063024&sr=8-2&keywords=wavy+knife

They were about 7 at the time. While it was a bit harder to use on chopping raw carrots, they were able to use it. It seemed less dangerous than handing them real knives to cut with.

My almost 9yo uses a rounded steak knife at home - but I'd be nervous supervising a group of girls with real knives (but that's just me!)

BunnyBee
05-02-2014, 05:10 PM
The wavy cutter was used in my kids' Montessori classes.

We have the round tip Victorinox steak/utility knives at home. There's a special glove you can buy, but I agree that a gaggle of girls in the woods doesn't sound like anywhere I would want to teach knife safety. You're brave! :)

squimp
05-02-2014, 06:30 PM
Hmmm our girl scout camp had the Brownies whittling with regular pocket knives. I wasn't working with them on that, but I was doing something else nearby and it seemed to be fine.

DD (10) prefers a paring knife over something bigger.

Kestrel
05-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Hmmm..... maybe it's just me, but if this is the first time using knives, I'd want to do it at home, first, before trying to do it out in the woods, just in case? Maybe prepare a snack at a meeting between now and then?

(I admit, I'm cautious!)

urbanmommy
05-04-2014, 10:37 PM
I have some tramontina serrated paring knives that I give to my 5 1/2 yo to help me cut fruits and vegetables. They are fairly easy for her to cut with. She's even used them for cutting carrots. I think as long as the girls are taught the proper skills and there is someone watching a knife like this would work well.

http://www.peachsuite.com/103048/tramontina-80020-505-diamant-3-piece-stainless-steel-knife-set-80020-505.html?gclid=CP2Pxbjek74CFaVxOgodAn4A_Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staraglimmer
05-04-2014, 10:52 PM
What about an ula?

-Stephanie-
mommy to DD1 4/08 &DD2 6/12