PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worry about milk supply ?

babyfiorina1
05-02-2014, 09:25 PM
Well, I nurse on demand. It's been such a struggle trying to nurse 6-month old DS for the past month. We have started solid, but I offer very little (maybe about 1/2 Tbsp to 1 Tbsp max once a day) and not even everyday, sometimes every other day, just for fun and practice, and I nurse first then solid after that. When he doesn't nurse as frequently , I don't offer solid to make sure he gets adequate milk instead.

He nursed very well when he's sleepy, so, as much as I wanted not to nurse him to sleep like I've posted before, I'm nursing him to sleep because I worry that he doesn't get enough milk. He won't nurse much when he's awake. He's napping twice a day and so that's when he eats really well and then will wake up once or twice to eat and when he woke up in the morning. The rest of the day is pretty much me trying hard to shove my boob to his mouth and he'll just suck for few minutes and don't want anymore. So, we are averaging about 6-7 feeds a day (4 really good feeds). He has wet diapers about 4-6, mainly 4 in 24 hours. He hasn't been gaining weight for the past month. Our 6-month check up will be next week.

I mainly worry about my milk supply as I feel like my let down kinda takes longer time these days. I started to wonder if it is because of my slow let down that he loses interest and doesn't want to nurse much when he's awake ? I don't know if this is normal for a 6 month old.

polkadots&moonbeams
05-03-2014, 12:17 PM
I think you're on to something with nursing him when he's sleepy. It sounds like he enjoys comfort nursing.

If you're concerned about milk supply, don't be afraid to pump a few times a day (wait about 15 minutes after baby nurses, then double pump for 15 minutes). A solid supply is very important to keeping a baby interested in breastfeeding. If baby is only nursing at sleep times, then your supply could be waning at other times and this is why his interest is decreasing.

Here's an awesome site with great breastfeeding info and suggestions. I'm not sure if this is a nursing strike or not, but it's worth a read.

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

HipMama
05-05-2014, 08:24 AM
It's normal for them to get super distracted as they get older. My best advice is to trust you body. You've done awesome so far!! I would just keep nursing on demand and try not to stress too much.

babyfiorina1
05-13-2014, 04:25 PM
I had been pumping when I thought he didn't nurse enough throughout the day. Things have gotten better I'm not sure what it was, but he's eating better now. Still distracted, but at least he'll try to nurse first before bring nosy :)

Nooknookmom
05-19-2014, 11:56 AM
I think you're on to something with nursing him when he's sleepy. It sounds like he enjoys comfort nursing.

If you're concerned about milk supply, don't be afraid to pump a few times a day (wait about 15 minutes after baby nurses, then double pump for 15 minutes). A solid supply is very important to keeping a baby interested in breastfeeding. If baby is only nursing at sleep times, then your supply could be waning at other times and this is why his interest is decreasing.

Here's an awesome site with great breastfeeding info and suggestions. I'm not sure if this is a nursing strike or not, but it's worth a read.

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Yes! my LC had me pump right after I nursed to stimulate more milk. I had low supply and I didnt get any extra milk to store but It increased my supply for dd to survive. She was MSPI and couldn't have any formula so I was in a real pickle if my supply dissolved.

Are u taking fenugreek? It doubled my supply.

Keep it up you'll be ok!