PDA

View Full Version : good gift idea?

hillview
05-04-2014, 08:56 PM
DS1 is leaving his school where he has been for 6 years. His current 2 teachers he has had for 3 years and we adore them and they've been great to DS1. He is in a Montessori school which is why he has had them for so long. We want to get them something super nice. One teacher is pregnant with first child and due any day now. I was thinking of getting her a gift certificate to a photo studio like Picture People (mall based photo studio). We did one there when the boys were young and I love the photos. Her registery is compete (ARGH) and I asked her about a convertible car seat but her parents want to get her one. When I asked her she suggested a $50 high chair clamp on one and we want to do something nicer than that.

Is the photo studio idea a good one?
Failing a Target or Buy Buy Baby gift card another idea?

TIA

jgenie
05-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Is she open to baby wearing? If so, I would get her an ergo.

hillview
05-04-2014, 09:03 PM
Is she open to baby wearing? If so, I would get her an ergo.
thanks -- she registered for a k'tan and got it already. SIGH

SnuggleBuggles
05-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Depends on how much. You don't want to give a gift that ultimately costs them more money. And those chains are great at the upsell!

What about a collection of books your family loved (board books, preschool fare...)? Add a personal bookmark in each that explains why your family picked that book/ what sentimental value it has.

hillview
05-04-2014, 09:13 PM
thinking $200. they school did a book thing where everyone (so 40 kids) each gave a book.... ARGH so hard :)

I LOVE your idea and next close friend who has a baby is SO getting that. The kids suggested magnatiles. Is that SOOOO silly for a newborn?

Nu_mama
05-04-2014, 09:21 PM
I think your idea of a generous cash gift would be greatly appreciated.

ahisma
05-04-2014, 10:02 PM
I'd buy this: http://www.woodentoy.com/html/clacker.html

They have gorgeous blocks too, but I'm guessing she has blocks coming out of her ears.

meggie t
05-04-2014, 10:53 PM
Something sterling? Like a comb and brush set. Maybe you can prepay for a monogram if the baby's name isn't known yet. DS still uses his daily and now DD does too. Fork and spoon is another idea.

Porcelain dish set from Tiffany - we also use these daily

happymom
05-04-2014, 11:00 PM
It sounds like she has everything she needs for the baby, so how about just getting something nice for her? A piece of jewelry maybe?

ETA- u may find this to be corny, but maybe a nice watch with a note about all the "time" she put into ur DS. You could even engrave the back for a little extra sentimentality. You could also tie it into her upcoming baby technically...with all the scheduling of feedings and naps etc

Of course you have to know her taste somewhat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blisstwins
05-05-2014, 03:48 AM
I like the gc for photos, but I would do Portrait Simple instead of Picture People and I would probably do $250 if possible (assuming you adore her). Otherwise,I would do $200 go a baby boutique (something like Magic Beans, though I think that is out of business).