PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever had this problem when potty training girls?

SoCalMommy
05-05-2014, 01:23 AM
DD has been potty training for the last month and doing really well (even pooping on the potty most days!). however, the last few days when she pees it sprays up and gets all over the toilet seat, her legs and clothes! We have a Baby Bjorn potty insert for the toilet, so there is even a little hump in the front (I am guessing it is supposed to catch any pee from flying up?) I notice this sometimes happens when she has to really pee a lot. I am getting frustrated since pee is going everywhere. She is making it to the potty in time so I don't want her to feel badly, but I am getting upset. I didn't expect this. We haven't had much of an issue in public or with her travel potty, but we haven't used those as often.

Anyone else experience this with their DD? How did you fix it? Since there is the mini hump in the front center of the insert, she has her legs spread around it but I am now trying to have her close her legs more to block any pee from flying out. I make sure she is sitting up and not leaning back, but that doesn't really fix the problem. This sounds ridiculous as I type this, but would love any suggestions. TIA

On a side note, When did your DC stop using a potty "seat" insert on a regular toilet? Is it usually an age/size thing, Or is it when they get more proficient with the potty?

elephantmeg
05-05-2014, 04:09 AM
DD always used the big potty seat IIRC after she stopped using the little potty which was pretty quickly. I had her lean forward while she peed I think

BabyBearsMom
05-05-2014, 06:37 AM
That happens to DD1 if she keeps her legs too close together when she pees. I had to teach her to relax on the potty.

Minnifer
05-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Some people have to lean forward a bit or this happens and the pee tends to go straight out rather than down - it's just a particular body physiology (lol speaking from personal experience, and my DD and my mom all have this too). Also as a PP mentioned, opening legs wide helps too.

egoldber
05-05-2014, 08:23 AM
Some people have to lean forward a bit or this happens and the pee tends to go straight out rather than down - it's just a particular body physiology (lol speaking from personal experience, and my DD and my mom all have this too).

:yeahthat:

Some people just more naturally point "forward". Teach her to lean forward when she pees. *I* have this issue. My older DD too.

truly scrumptious
05-05-2014, 09:10 AM
In addition to the physiology thing mentioned by PPs, part of the problem may also be the pressure with which it is going into the (relatively small) rounded potty which causes it to spray back up. DD (3yo) goes directly in the big toilet using a toilet seat something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Mayfair-83EC-000-NextStep-Lift-Off/dp/B00596IFBG

It is more stable than using the adult seat, and she can manage it independently.

SoCalMommy
05-05-2014, 05:30 PM
Funny, this was happening with her legs opened wider so I have tried to have her close her legs more. It helps, but I still see the pee on her legs. We will try leaning forward more too. Good to know it just might be a physiology thing. Hopefully in time and with practice we will get passed it. Great suggestions everyone! I really appreciate it!

Truly scrumptious, that seat is awesome. They have something similar at her gym class and I had no idea where to even find one. Thx. The Bjorn potty insert is shaped more oval like the real toilet, but I will see how she does on the one at her gym first.

mskitty
05-06-2014, 12:08 AM
Truly scrumptious, that seat is awesome. They have something similar at her gym class and I had no idea where to even find one. Thx. The Bjorn potty insert is shaped more oval like the real toilet, but I will see how she does on the one at her gym first. Home Depot. Do an online search as not all stores stock it. We had to drive a bit to get one.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/BEMIS-NextStep-Round-Closed-Front-Toilet-Seat-in-White-583SLOW-000/202721306

TwinFoxes
05-06-2014, 02:54 AM
Funny, this was happening with her legs opened wider so I have tried to have her close her legs more. It helps, but I still see the pee on her legs. We will try leaning forward more too. Good to know it just might be a physiology thing. Hopefully in time and with practice we will get passed it. Great suggestions everyone! I really appreciate it!

Truly scrumptious, that seat is awesome. They have something similar at her gym class and I had no idea where to even find one. Thx. The Bjorn potty insert is shaped more oval like the real toilet, but I will see how she does on the one at her gym first.

We have something similar, that's a lot cheaper, and just slips onto your existing toilet seat. It works great!

http://www.amazon.com/Mommys-Helper-Flush-Standard-Toilets/dp/B007ATWM46/ref=sr_sp-btf_title_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1399359098&sr=8-9&keywords=children%27s+toilet+seat