PDA

View Full Version : Special or unique gift idea for retiring teacher

KpbS
05-05-2014, 09:46 AM
DS2's teacher is retiring this year after teaching for 40 years!! I really want to get her something special in addition to a hand written note of appreciation.

Any suggestions or links? Etsy?

She has dogs and likes to garden and is from the midwest (originally).

MamaMolly
05-05-2014, 01:51 PM
A bottle of champagne.

zag95
05-05-2014, 03:31 PM
How about a special garden stone, commemorating her career? You could get a kit at Michael's or similar.
Other ideas:
Spa, garden/backyard bird store type gift card, a special beautiful crystal vase to put pretty flowers in??

squimp
05-05-2014, 04:05 PM
One of our teachers is retiring this year and I am planning to make a shutterfly book with quotes and pictures from former students and parents. She's the kind of teacher who has had a tremendous impact on our school and community, so there's a lot to say.

Simon
05-05-2014, 09:57 PM
One of our teachers is retiring this year and I am planning to make a shutterfly book with quotes and pictures from former students and parents. She's the kind of teacher who has had a tremendous impact on our school and community, so there's a lot to say.
:yeahthat: I was thinking something similar. If you don't have contact with former students, then if the school does a yearbook or even keeps copies of class photos then scanning and having a photo book made with pictures from each year would be a nice memento. Also, a photo of her in her classroom, the building, etc. then it would also make a nice keepsake for her kids/grandkids.

MamaKath
05-05-2014, 10:03 PM
https://www.etsy.com/search?q=hand%20stamped%20Necklace%20for%20teacher&ship_to=US
A friend recieved one that says "Teaching is a work of heart" on the round piece and her name stamped on a heart. There are some super cute ones. Also check out origami owl for charms, etc to put inside a special locket.

mom2binsd
05-05-2014, 11:33 PM
Last year DS's teacher retired.

We gave her an Origami Owl locket with charms inside that represented important parts of her life (it included a teachers apple, a tennis racket, an anchor-she has a boat, a just married car -she got married at age 67, and her initials....we also added Class of 2013, to represent her last year of teaching.

SHE LOVED IT, and from what I hear, she has been wearing it all the time.

Total cost was about 75.00, it was from the class.

If I can find the pic I'll add.

WatchingThemGrow
05-06-2014, 06:21 AM
We celebrated DD's teacher's retirement last year with an ambush retirement party. We emailed former students' parents (her assistant helped us, along with the office, plus we put a blurb on the neighborhood listserve) asking for notes of appreciation. We also asked if anyone wanted to donate toward a night at a local fancy hotel. One parent has another hotel as a business contact and got her a complimentary free night at the hotel. We used the collected money to get her a night at the other fancy hotel, plus some people asked local restaurants for donations. I emailed all the teachers to send the students to her class at a certain time, and we gave her a box of handwritten letters, plus the 2 hotel nights, restaurant GC's, and a fancy little black purse from Marshall's for her evenings out. It was so much fun, and the local businesses were happy to donate. It wasn't really that much work b/c a lot was done by fwding emails and having her assistant collect everything for a week.

KpbS
05-07-2014, 10:17 AM
Thank you! Great ideas and tips. :)

Melaine
05-07-2014, 11:22 AM
My aunt was given a rocking chair with all the students' signatures (guidance counseler so whole school). I haven't seen it but my mom says it turned out lovely and she uses it in her kitchen.

Binkandabee
05-07-2014, 02:20 PM
What about a personalized flower pot and flower like this: http://www.personalizationmall.com/Personalized-Flower-Pots-For-Teachers-Purple-i24882.item?productid=7936&sdest=Search&sdestid=33059247