PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't My 7 Year Old Blow His Nose?

Kindra178
05-06-2014, 08:59 AM
Part bitch and part request for help. He just doesn't get it and is generally grossed out by tissues and snot. It drives dh insane, especially because ds has severe spring pollen allergies and his nose is like a faucet. Thoughts? Help?

Momit
05-06-2014, 09:02 AM
I will be following this because we are in the same boat with DS. He says he can't blow hard enough to do any good, so he just keeps snorting the same stuff back up into his nose rather than trying to get it out. I really hope to have this figured out before he starts K in the fall.

Cam&Clay
05-06-2014, 09:22 AM
OMG! DS1 had to have been 10 years old when he finally figured out how to blow his nose. Super smart kid, but when it came to this one thing, he couldn't do it. Drove me nuts (and his teachers) because he had terrible allergies. We tried every trick but he just couldn't get it.

SummerBaby
05-06-2014, 09:43 AM
I sympathize. My 9.5 year old can barely blow her nose. She just sucks it in and then gets sinus infections. For some reason she tries to blow and it just doesn't come out. Drives me nuts.

kboyle
05-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Uh yeah... My 10 and 8 yr old still have issues blowing. It's gross and I can't figure out how to teach them without getting frustrated lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elektra
05-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Maybe ask him to hold his breath and blow out his nose? Have a contest with the boys to see how far they can spray the snot out of their nose with no tissue?

reneed
05-06-2014, 01:15 PM
I sympathize. My 9.5 year old can barely blow her nose. She just sucks it in and then gets sinus infections. For some reason she tries to blow and it just doesn't come out. Drives me nuts.

This. Drives me crazy. He does fine if I hold the Kleenex though. Go figure.

Simon
05-06-2014, 01:17 PM
Yeah, took Ds1 a long time to learn and he still isn't great at it. How about saline rinse to help clear stuff out, at least temporarily? It also helped my son improve his nose blowing because he blows out the water sometimes.

Also, pinching closed one side at a time so that all the force of the blow is focused on just one side at a time might help, if you're not already doing it that way.

Kindra178
05-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Yeah, took Ds1 a long time to learn and he still isn't great at it. How about saline rinse to help clear stuff out, at least temporarily? It also helped my son improve his nose blowing because he blows out the water sometimes.

I love this idea. Going to stop at Walgreens on way home. I will Neil Med him!

cookiemonster80
05-06-2014, 03:15 PM
My sil held her kids mouths shut while trying to teach them- said it worked. I have full sympathy for you- both of my girls learned at 18 months and what a quality of life improvement!! Props to you for handling 10 years of snot!!!!

Jen841
05-06-2014, 03:24 PM
Don't understand it, but somewhere along the way I was told that nose blowing and straw sucking are similar skills. Can he suck from a straw?