PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Appreciation Week Food Question

maybeebaby08
05-07-2014, 08:02 PM
During the teacher gift threads, most teachers say they never eat homemade food. What do you do during a Teacher Appreciation Week? Our school does a lunch for the teachers and the PTA has asked for parents to supply the food which is homemade. Do you eat it then? And what would you recommend for dessert?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
05-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Teachers on here are very different than any I've met IRL. Every school my kids have attended do parent potlucks and they are a big hit.

I make Pioneer Woman sheet cake (so easy and serves a large number) or cookies (so they can grab and go).

I'm happy our teachers are good with the potlucks as budget isn't there to professionally cater!

Eta- I skip the nuts on the sheet cake bc the school is nut free

PZMommy
05-07-2014, 08:43 PM
I think it depends. I teach at a school where I regularly see cockroaches crawling in student's backpacks and once even a lunchbox. No way would I eat home made food from most of them. I have a few families I may trust enough to eat their food. If I worked in a different environment, I may feel differently.

My school does potlucks, but the teachers supply the food for our potlucks. We don't do teacher appreciation week at my school as most families would not be able to contribute.

squimp
05-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Our school's PTO hosts an international lunch where parents bring parts of a meal from their homes countries and it is very appreciated. Our school is very diverse and the teachers love all the choices.

I think an organized hot lunch meal is different from getting a big pile of sweets at the end of the year in terms of what a teacher might appreciate.

StantonHyde
05-07-2014, 09:30 PM
We get an Indian Restaurant to cater one lunch, buy Subway sandwiches for a lunch, buy bagels etc. not homemade food though. We can usually get parents to donate the food or get the restaurant to donate.

wendmatt
05-07-2014, 09:49 PM
I have no issues with eating food cooked at home (unless as pp said I'd seen something horrid like a cockroach). One of my students brought me yeast rolls yesterday and they were delicious. I never get to bake any more so would love home baked goods. If it was for a teacher lunch, I'd gobble it up :)

bigsis
05-07-2014, 11:33 PM
We get an Indian Restaurant to cater one lunch, buy Subway sandwiches for a lunch, buy bagels etc. not homemade food though. We can usually get parents to donate the food or get the restaurant to donate.
This is us too. Although we have a couple of moms who are professional caterers and we have them cater a lunch each. We reimburse their groceries and the labor is free. We get donations from restaurants and grocery stores as well.

Seitvonzu
05-08-2014, 11:37 AM
i worked the teacher luncheon yesterday -- it was a catered taco bar, but the desserts were brought in by parents. it was a pretty even split-- half store bought and half homemade-- the homemade goodies were gobbled up MUCH quicker than other things. i was glad to see this actually because i made a lime chiffon cake (read: fussy) and was worried it wouldn't be eaten. there was way too much dessert but i'm guessing it will be gobbled up the rest of the week in the teacher's lounge.

we got tons of good feedback about the taco bar, even if we did run out of mild salsa and lettuce (if your schools ever do this --extra lettuce! lots of people wanted a bit of a taco "salad"). the sweet teachers thought it was awesome that the meat was kept warm (so easy to please :)

maybeebaby08
05-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Thank you for the responses! I want to make an nice dessert but wasn't going to if it would be tossed.