PDA

View Full Version : ideas for child at home recovering from tonsil & adenoid removal..

bandgsmama
05-08-2014, 08:57 AM
looking for suggestions on how to help ease my dd's recovery next week. (her brother ended up in the er after his removal, so hoping this goes better!) i had to give him 5ml every 5 minutes of gatorade in his sleep to keep him hydrated. just wondering if anyone has any tips & also any recommendations for some movies she might like (possibly older versions - we have frozen & all the "newer" ones) or easy crafts. thanks!

MSWR0319
05-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Honestly, we let DS play on the iPad and Leappad as much as he wanted the first few days. I kept a funtainer near him full and just kept reminding him to take sips every few minutes. I was seriously worried we'd end up in the ER because he is not a drinker and almost always gets close to dehydration when he's sick because he refuses to drink. He did much, much better than I thought he would. I think the cold really helped him.

legaleagle
05-08-2014, 10:29 AM
How old is she? I would have lots of popsicles on hand too.

bandgsmama
05-08-2014, 02:50 PM
How old is she? I would have lots of popsicles on hand too.

she will be 7 in july.

lalasmama
05-08-2014, 04:00 PM
Popsicles and ice cream. Unlimited quantities and any/every flavor she wants for the first few days. She'll likely need 6-8 oz every 1-2 hours while awake.

All the TV/iPad/DVDs she wants.

bandgsmama
05-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Popsicles and ice cream. Unlimited quantities and any/every flavor she wants for the first few days. She'll likely need 6-8 oz every 1-2 hours while awake.

All the TV/iPad/DVDs she wants.

that is my plan & the pouch applesauces (she loves them - she has already eaten the stash i had for after surgery!)
thank you for the tips!

Jen841
05-08-2014, 08:22 PM
Ideas bases on our experience....
Legos
Games - Sorry, Trouble, Uno
Bracelet loom
Old school paper dolls?
Puzzles
Go to the library and let her check out movies and books
Read outloud a chapter book or two (or three...)

No true 'old school' but my nieces and my boys have enjoyed....
Netflix - Old Dennis the Menace episodes
Movie - Little Rascals
Movie - Game Plan

You can never go wrong with a Disney Movie marathon. Before our parks trip we looked Atari map of the park and watched all related movies we could get our hands on: Monsters Inc, Peter Pan, Tom Sawyer, Swiss Family Robinson, Toy Stories, Pirates of the Caribbean, Alladin, Dumbo,...

Tondi G
05-09-2014, 12:49 AM
In addition to popsicles (make sure you don't buy lemon or orange juice pops cause they are too acidic) I would suggest getting some Jello if she likes it.

Applesauce, over-cooked noodles with butter, pudding, mashed potatoes with gravy, oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, soups (not hot, just warm) went over well here.

Hope it goes well!