PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 DL recommendations for lines/fastpasses, increased fun?

elektra
05-08-2014, 03:39 PM
We are going to DL this Sunday to celebrate DS's birthday and I want to make the most out of the day.
Some things to consider are that my dad will be coming and we will rent a motor scooter for him. My brother will also be coming (no mentions of smoking anything this time, for anyone who remembers THAT post :)).
I am also not planning on bringing a stroller (a first for us at DL!)

DH is really resistant to doing any "tricks" for DL. He does not want to consider splitting up and running for fast passes, etc. I do kind of get his point, as we want to just leisurely let the day unfold.

However, this time he does seem open to at least having a plan of hustling to CA to get the Cars ride fast passes. So I see my opening here and I want to maybe try and plan at least a few other timesavers, or "tricks", that don't require splitting up more than maybe once or strict schedules.

Are there any other basic recommendations the pros might have for us? (Lalasmama- I know you have to have something for us!)

lalasmama
05-08-2014, 11:51 PM
This Sunday (ie, Mother's Day)? Expect the crowds to be fairly heavy. Apparently the best moms like to go to DL on MD ;)

Are you going to be there at rope drop? I'd consider sending Gramps in his scooter to the line for Radiator Springs Racers. If Gramps isn't up to being alone, I'd send Uncle or Hubs with him. However, is DS clearly 40in or over? In my clinical experience, it's about 50/50 at 4yo, but a fair amount of 5yos will likely be tall enough. If not, obviously don't go near Radiator Springs Racers. That's just mean for a kid if they aren't tall enough to ride! (It's at the end of Cars Land and off to the right, so you can enjoy the other rides and the rest of Cars Land if he's not tall enough.) If he is tall enough, then remember the Fast Pass for it is near Bugs Land, *not* Cars Land! Give him everyone's ticket, so he can get one for everyone. While he's doing this, I'd get the rest of the family down to Paradise Pier. I'd go for Goofy's Sky School (or get a FP for this!), or Toy Story Midway Mania. Then I'd continue on the tour of Paradise Pier (Golden Zephyr, Jumpin' Jellyfish, Ariel). When BFF and I were there at rope drop in Feb, we were able to get all of Paradise Pier knocked out in less than 45 minutes. Gramps and Uncle or Hubs should be catching up with you somewhere amongst the Pier rides. Then I would head over to DL, and get any Fast Passes you want to have from there (Space or Indy would make the most sense). Realistically, MD will get busy, but all those sweet kids will feed Mom breakfast in bed and/or go to church, so the early morning should be pretty calm. I'd try to knock out Fantasy Land ASAP, if anyone wants to get to any of those. Keep a watch on your FP times. Likely, your RSR FP will be sometime in the early afternoon. I'd attempt Pirate's Lair (Tom Sawyer Island) for a bit of run around time, and then maybe somewhere in New Orleans for lunch. Grab a Splash Mountain FP if you want it!

Afternoon can be used for any FPs that you've collected and are wanting to use. When you go over to DCA for RSR, I'd grab WOC FPs if you're wanting to see that. I'd hit any rides you want to see in DCA, and then head back to DLR for the evening. I'd spend the evening just enjoying the sites... Sitting with an ice cream on the benches watching the world go by... Enjoy a show at the Golden Horseshoe Review. Ride the riverboat, etc.

You can do a lot of FP running, but, overall, it doesn't save a whole lot of time, in my experience, other than the time waiting in line.

Oh! Gramps in his scooter! Forgot to remind you that your whole group can use the accessible entrances where available!

elektra
05-09-2014, 01:00 AM
This Sunday (ie, Mother's Day)? Expect the crowds to be fairly heavy. Apparently the best moms like to go to DL on MD ;)

Are you going to be there at rope drop? I'd consider sending Gramps in his scooter to the line for Radiator Springs Racers. If Gramps isn't up to being alone, I'd send Uncle or Hubs with him. However, is DS clearly 40in or over? In my clinical experience, it's about 50/50 at 4yo, but a fair amount of 5yos will likely be tall enough. If not, obviously don't go near Radiator Springs Racers. That's just mean for a kid if they aren't tall enough to ride! (It's at the end of Cars Land and off to the right, so you can enjoy the other rides and the rest of Cars Land if he's not tall enough.) If he is tall enough, then remember the Fast Pass for it is near Bugs Land, *not* Cars Land! Give him everyone's ticket, so he can get one for everyone. While he's doing this, I'd get the rest of the family down to Paradise Pier. I'd go for Goofy's Sky School (or get a FP for this!), or Toy Story Midway Mania. Then I'd continue on the tour of Paradise Pier (Golden Zephyr, Jumpin' Jellyfish, Ariel). When BFF and I were there at rope drop in Feb, we were able to get all of Paradise Pier knocked out in less than 45 minutes. Gramps and Uncle or Hubs should be catching up with you somewhere amongst the Pier rides. Then I would head over to DL, and get any Fast Passes you want to have from there (Space or Indy would make the most sense). Realistically, MD will get busy, but all those sweet kids will feed Mom breakfast in bed and/or go to church, so the early morning should be pretty calm. I'd try to knock out Fantasy Land ASAP, if anyone wants to get to any of those. Keep a watch on your FP times. Likely, your RSR FP will be sometime in the early afternoon. I'd attempt Pirate's Lair (Tom Sawyer Island) for a bit of run around time, and then maybe somewhere in New Orleans for lunch. Grab a Splash Mountain FP if you want it!

Afternoon can be used for any FPs that you've collected and are wanting to use. When you go over to DCA for RSR, I'd grab WOC FPs if you're wanting to see that. I'd hit any rides you want to see in DCA, and then head back to DLR for the evening. I'd spend the evening just enjoying the sites... Sitting with an ice cream on the benches watching the world go by... Enjoy a show at the Golden Horseshoe Review. Ride the riverboat, etc.

You can do a lot of FP running, but, overall, it doesn't save a whole lot of time, in my experience, other than the time waiting in line.

Oh! Gramps in his scooter! Forgot to remind you that your whole group can use the accessible entrances where available!

Thanks lalasmama!
So you're saying everyone and their mother will be there this Sunday? :p
DS actually just turned 5 (thanks for the reminder on my siggie!) and he was 44 inches barefoot at his 5 year well check last week. So I think we should be good for a lot of the rides including Radiator Springs Racers.

So we can get a fastpass for RSR and then get more over at DL even if we haven't used the RSR ones yet?

I really like your suggested itinerary. Should be perfect for us. DD said she really wants to do Tom's Sawyer's Island again.

Maybe I can send DH to get the RSR fastpasses for us while we are dealing with the whole scooter rental thing. I think he may not mind splitting up for that.

lalasmama
05-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Can't send DH for RSR FP while everyone else is with the scooter. Every ticket/AP has to be scanned into a park before it can be used to get a FP.

Congrats on DS hitting the 44" mark! It opens up several rides that otherwise he couldn't do :) I always feel bad that RSR has a height limit, because so many little ones love Cars!