PDA

View Full Version : S/O What backpack has lasted at least one year?

94bruin
05-08-2014, 03:53 PM
The hanging strap on DD1's 3 year old Lands End backpack just broke, so it's time for a new backpack. Since DD2 is off to Kindergarten in the fall, I'll be on the lookout for two backpacks.

Actually, DD1 wants a messenger/shoulder-style bag. Any rec's on cute shoulder-style bags would be much appreciated as well. She'll be in 4th grade. She mainly needs to carry a homework folder, lunch bag and maybe a sweater (we live in a mild climate, so no snow gear.)

Any brands to hone in on or conversely, avoid? We've been happy with LandsEnd, but just wondering if there are other brands to look at.

Thanks!

ett
05-08-2014, 03:59 PM
LL Bean's backpacks last forever. I still use the one I had from college.

citymama
05-08-2014, 03:59 PM
Garnet Hill Kids - lunchbox and Jr backpack - DD1 is on year 3, and she is very rough on her clothes, shoes and things. I'm going to retire it after the summer, though.

robinsmommy
05-08-2014, 04:04 PM
We've been happy with REI's house brand for kids, and Osprey. I like chest clips, as my girls have to carry bags that are probably heavier than ideal, and sometimes bike - less shifting of the pack with a chest clip.

I have washed Landsend packs in my front loader on gentle cycle, and had the plastic-y lining/coating start to peel. I used to like them a lot more.

Indianamom2
05-08-2014, 04:10 PM
I like DD's backpack from LL Bean. It's been used (and abused because she doesn't take care of anything) for two years now with no problems.

cilantromapuche
05-08-2014, 04:10 PM
DS is in 5th grade and has had the same LLBean backpack since kinder. He will keep it up until he needs a bigger one in HS. Same with DD's. I know some mom's who buy new one's every year and I don't get why.

MMMommy
05-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Our High Sierra Backpacks from Costco have lasted more than a couple of years. Well priced, spacious, and my personal fav.

momof2girls
05-08-2014, 04:16 PM
Our High Sierra Backpacks from Costco have lasted more than a couple of years. Well priced, spacious, and my personal fav.

:yeahthat: plus Garnet Hill which I have even tossed into the wash and it came out looking good as new.

georgiegirl
05-08-2014, 04:24 PM
DD's PBK bag developed a rip last month. Heavy use for 1.5 years (summer included.)

wencit
05-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Garnet Hill Kids - lunchbox and Jr backpack - DD1 is on year 3, and she is very rough on her clothes, shoes and things. I'm going to retire it after the summer, though. :yeahthat: (except we don't have the lunchbox). DS1's school keeps their backpacks outside on the cement instead of hanging them up in their cubbies, so his backpack gets dragged around on the ground a LOT! Aside from a very small amount of pilling, it still looks great! I would have kept it for a 4th year except that it's getting too small for the amount of stuff he's starting to get.

Kindra178
05-08-2014, 04:36 PM
I was going to say LLB or LE. We have had great luck with LE backpacks. LLB ones are very well made but I don't like their functionality as much. If you can find a LLB one that works, it will definitely last.

BunnyBee
05-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Jansport lasts forever. I had one through undergrad, grad, and law school. Anything that lives through law school book load should be bronzed! It finally got tossed when we couldn't get cat pee smell out of it.

TwinFoxes
05-08-2014, 04:41 PM
I bought the girls Garnet Hill backpacks/lunch bags winter of 2012/2013, in anticipation of them starting K last fall. They used the lunch bags maybe 1/2 dozen times in preschool. The lunch bags are going strong. One DD's backpack is not doing so well. The bottom has a slight rip, not all of the way through the material, and her zipper teeth on the front pocket have bent. In GH's defense, DDs can be very destructive...I am not sure normal wear and tear would have resulted in the damage.

Melaine
05-08-2014, 04:47 PM
I was going to say LLB or LE. We have had great luck with LE backpacks. LLB ones are very well made but I don't like their functionality as much. If you can find a LLB one that works, it will definitely last.

I keep looking at LLB but I just don't like the patterns and hate that their basic doesn't come with a bottle pocket.

I have been happy with both our Garnet Hill backpacks and lunchbags with the exception of the carabiners which broke repeatedly. CS was great though and the new design doesn't have carabiners. But our backpacks are used heavily only 2-3 times a week and only in the house the other days so not quite the wear and tear that a fulltimer might get.

ilfaith
05-08-2014, 04:53 PM
Surprisingly, our inexpensive backpacks from The Children's Place lasted us through two years of school and camp...and then another half year when the backpacks we bought to succeed them fell apart midway through the school year. I still haven't thrown them away, as they might need to be called in as a mid-season replacement again.

Kindra178
05-08-2014, 04:55 PM
I keep looking at LLB but I just don't like the patterns and hate that their basic doesn't come with a bottle pocket.

I have been happy with both our Garnet Hill backpacks and lunchbags with the exception of the carabiners which broke repeatedly. CS was great though and the new design doesn't have carabiners. But our backpacks are used heavily only 2-3 times a week and only in the house the other days so not quite the wear and tear that a fulltimer might get.

It's one of three things that annoy me: (1) no water bottle pocket; (2) too many pockets; or (3) covered zippers.

indigo99
05-08-2014, 05:07 PM
DS1 has a Boden backpack and LLB lunchbox. DS2 has a matching Garnet Hill set, and I like his better. The Boden pack has a thicker fabric, but the corners showed wear after the first year. DS2's pack has held up really well. It's only been one year, but it looks like new. The GH lunchbox is thicker than the one from LLB so it stays cold longer. One end of it is curved which could make it harder to fit as much inside, but they don't take huge lunches yet. Both lunchboxes have a mesh pocket inside the lid which is where I put a flat icepack.

MelissaTC
05-08-2014, 05:21 PM
M has used his LE backpack (solid featherlight) all school year and it has done great. I see it lasting through the rest of middle school. His ebags slim lunchbox has been fantastic.

SnuggleBuggles
05-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Our LE from 3.5 years ago is frayed inside around the zipper so zipper always gets stuck. LL Bean Original Jr. is going strong for 7 years.

AnnieW625
05-08-2014, 05:32 PM
We have three Lands End backpacks:

a small preschool/kindergarten size one I got for DD1 when she was 2/1/2. It honestly could have lasted through kindergarten, but I got her a new one since kindergarten is a big deal:).

The second Lands End we bought when DD1 was in kindergarten. It is the Study Haul of which is now the Classmate Medium. It could last through 3rd grade easy, but I think we will end up replacing it at the beginning of her 3rd grade year. My only complaints about this pack is that the bottom and straps are grey and even the dark pink are prone to getting dirty. There is just now some wear on the bottom of pack, but still no rips or tears.

The third pack is the small haul back pack, which is now the Classmate Small. This pack is okay too and should last Dd2 through kindergarten, but honestly I paid $15 for it including the monogram so if I end up replacing it for kindergarten I won't be mad.

I will buy more LE packs as long as I like the prints and since 2011 I haven't liked any of the girl prints or the ones that I have liked have sold out quickly so I am either leaning towards LL Bean or Jansport if we don't like LE's offerings.

Eta: I have heard from others irl as well as here who have complained about the quality of the LE packs going downhill the last few years so that makes me also think twice about buying one again.

crayonblue
05-08-2014, 05:41 PM
Llbean. I'm on a 4th grade field trip right now, using my Jansport from college. Still looks almost new! :)

JustMe
05-08-2014, 05:48 PM
My kids have the ones from Costco. Can't remember if they're Jansports or what. I will look at them later. Dd has hers 5 years, although I got her a new one that she now alternates with. Ds has had his 3 years. I will say that my kids dont have heavy books or other really heavy things to carry.

ChristinaLucia
05-08-2014, 05:53 PM
My 2nd grader has had one from Hanna Andersson since she was 3 years old. She won't give it up. It still looks great.

kristac
05-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Our Garnet Hill and PBK backpacks are still going strong, but all 3 straps on DS1's CP backpack are failing. I have it held together with safety pins to get us through the last month. Granted he is harder on backpacks since he is a bookworm and always carries 5+ books with him (as well as a binder, folder, notebook, lunchbox, 2 funtainers and possibly a jacket). I'm sad it's not better quality because I really like the size and storage.

hillview
05-08-2014, 06:11 PM
We have kelty ones like this
http://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Min750-Minnow-750-Backpack/dp/B001M0NUQS/ref=cts_ap_1_fbt
DS1 has used his for 6 years now and it still is fantastic (uses it daily during school). DS2 has one in use for 4 years and still great. I can fit in it a homework folder (8.5x11), a planet box with case and 2 lunchbots for snacks.

arivecchi
05-08-2014, 06:21 PM
Llbean backpacks are da bomb :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vludmilla
05-08-2014, 07:09 PM
We had a Garnet Hill backpack that easily lasted two years and would have probably lasted 3 years if we hadn't wanted to get a larger one to replace it.

hellokitty
05-08-2014, 07:45 PM
LL Bean Little Critter backpacks have lasted us for 5 yrs and are still going strong.

squimp
05-08-2014, 07:50 PM
DD has a PBK backpack that has been used 2 years and it looks great. We will probably use it again next year.

Jen841
05-08-2014, 08:11 PM
6 years for a Lands End bag here... And going strong.

elliput
05-08-2014, 08:12 PM
My DD has been carrying a LE Featherlight (medium) for 4 years now. It is light pink and so shows dirt something awful, and I did trim some inside fraying last year, but the pack is still in great function condition. I did just get her a new pack for next year as this one is too small for the winter gear she'll need to carry.

jenmcadams
05-08-2014, 08:32 PM
We've had good luck with LE and LLB. For messenger bags, my DD got one around your DDs age from PB Teen and it lasted 2+ years

o_mom
05-08-2014, 08:53 PM
No idea on messenger style, but our LE packs are on 5, 4, and 2 years of daily use.

Twoboos
05-08-2014, 09:34 PM
GH for 2 years, LLB for probably 5 years. They're not used daily but still look new. The LE one we had (I think Featherweight?) fell apart after one year. I was very surprised about that.

MamaKath
05-08-2014, 10:13 PM
LLBean hands down. They wash up great, hold up great, and keep going! We have one that is at 8 years of use and looks new.

We have a Jansport that is on 10 years, but has some issues at this point. DH uses it and won't let me replace it lol.

Every LE I have had has had something rip (usually the mesh shreds) within a year. Don't love them.

The kids wanted Costco ones this year. They are High Sierra. DC1's did not hold up well because of the load of books. DC2's held up better, however the mesh pocket ripped.

I have to find an orange one for next year for the one kid and the other has yet to specify. ;)

94bruin
05-08-2014, 10:29 PM
OP here. I agree that I probably won't get a LE going forward.

My main beef with the L.L.Bean are lack of side water bottle pockets and they aren't as cute looking. I do prefer the look of LE ones more.

I wish the GH/PBK ones came in more solid versions. Not a huge fan of printed bags, but maybe DD2 will like something from their collection. I just think that printed fabric has a limited life span in terms of taste. But seeing how DD1 is going to get a new bag, maybe I should give up the idea of one bag for most of their primary school years.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

KpbS
05-08-2014, 10:48 PM
LL Bean Critter pack (now Discovery pack). It has been awesome! Ours is in almost perfect shape with more than 5 years duty. :)

StantonHyde
05-08-2014, 10:49 PM
LLB for DS--6 years of use daily in school AND for summer camp. Still going strong. Same with the lunch box. They both get washed in the washing machine 2-3 times a year. PBK that I got for DS lasted barely a year.

Tondi G
05-09-2014, 12:29 AM
we have had really good luck with Gap backpacks and lunch boxes. We've bought 3 over the years and always get them when they go on sale so the price is not bad... they always have bottle pockets on the side for their insulated water bottles. DS2 got the cutest backpack in Kindergarten ... blue guitars all over. He loved it then, still has it in his closet to use as an overnight bag.

ahisma
05-09-2014, 12:47 AM
We have this one from REI: http://www.rei.com/product/808317/rei-tarn-18-pack-youth

It's indestructible. 2 years of HARD use (school, camping, traveling...all involving lots of gritty sand) and it looks brand new. We're buying another for DS2 (entering K). I anticipate using them for many more years.

dcmom2b3
05-09-2014, 03:10 AM
DD's LL Bean backpack and lunchbox going strong after nearly 5 years, nursery school-1st.

MamaMolly
05-09-2014, 07:43 AM
Lula's Garnet Hill one has made it a year with only one loose thread. It looks great and has been machine washed a couple of times. That said, Dolly was given a Hanna Andersson one as a hand me down and it is wonderful!! It has a couple of pin holes worn in the bottom from the previous owner, but it washes beautifully and looks new. If I were paying full price for a new one I'd be looking at the HA ones.

kboyle
05-09-2014, 08:00 AM
Our Eddie Bauer ones from the outlet have lasted all three boys for 2 years so far. Bigger one for ds1 smaller one for ds2&3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SummerBaby
05-09-2014, 08:14 AM
My fourth grader has been using a PB Teen backpack for two years. It looks brand new and she is very rough with it. You can usually get a good deal this time of year.

My first grader has a Garnet Hill backpack since K and it looks new as well- the fabric is thinner than the PB backpack, but we have had no issues at all.

I returned the last LLB backpack we had because it had a covered zipper which jammed up and stuck in the fabric every.single.time you opened it.

Staraglimmer
05-09-2014, 08:36 AM
I have an llbean from 5th grade that I still use. It looks a little ratty but still functions great. I did get a new one in HS and it still looks new :). So I recommend them! I had one zipper problem when it was new and they sent me a new one.

-Stephanie-
mommy to DD1 4/08 &DD2 6/12

Mikey0709
05-09-2014, 10:05 AM
I agree with everyone above on the LLB ones...

BUT i have to say we went cheap last year and bought at Target - and it ALSO still looks brand new with HEAVY use. REALLY suprised me actually!!!!

Melaine
05-09-2014, 10:07 AM

BUT i have to say we went cheap last year and bought at Target - and it ALSO still looks brand new with HEAVY use. REALLY suprised me actually!!!!

That's definitely nice to hear. I think I may wait until a few weeks into school for clearance deals since we really only need to update from a size perspective. What brand was the target one, embark? i liked the look of them this year.

anamika
05-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Another vote for Hanna. She has a Garnet Hill one that help up decently but the Hanna one seems indestructible!

Dream
05-09-2014, 11:59 AM
My kindergartners Lands End backpack and lunch bag has held up great. Just last week I looked at it closely and was happy we didn't have to replace it when she start 1st grade. And she does drag it, a lot, but the bottom still looks good except for minor pilling.

vonfirmath
05-09-2014, 12:50 PM

Agreed. That's why I emphasize ours is a Toys R Us bag. People seem to think that means they are garbage. But ours has held up 2 years now (I did notice this morning that the bottom is getting threadbare so I have a even better reason to replace it next year than just "I want to")

AnnieW625
05-09-2014, 02:06 PM
[QUOTE=crayonblue;3987654 I'm on a 4th grade field trip right now, using my Jansport from college. Still looks almost new! :)[/QUOTE]

I think DH still has a 20-25 yr. old Jansport he got in high school or college. My Eddie Bauer is 18 yrs. old and we still use it for most family outings like the Zoo, Disney, and other field trips.

I think I might miss the water bottle pocket that the LE packs have, but I know that if I buy DD1 a Jansport pack I assume it should last until at least middle school...easy.

I had a Kelty pack that got exclusive use from 1st-6th grade, and then again in 9th-10th grade iirc. I had a Jansport for some time in high school, but then switched to the EB in college.

lmh2402
05-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Garnet Hill Kids - lunchbox and Jr backpack - DD1 is on year 3, and she is very rough on her clothes, shoes and things. I'm going to retire it after the summer, though.

:yeahthat: except we're on year 2 and DS is also pretty rough on his things. we will likely use again next year since it all still looks pretty much brand new. but I will likely let him get a new one for 1st grade.

sunshine873
05-09-2014, 05:21 PM
DD has been using a North Face Recon Squash all year and it still looks brand new. I bought it at an outlet, so got a great price on it. Plus, it's a far different pattern than any of the others out there, so that is helpful...

amatahrain
05-09-2014, 10:49 PM
The hanging strap on DD1's 3 year old Lands End backpack just broke, so it's time for a new backpack. Since DD2 is off to Kindergarten in the fall, I'll be on the lookout for two backpacks.

Actually, DD1 wants a messenger/shoulder-style bag. Any rec's on cute shoulder-style bags would be much appreciated as well. She'll be in 4th grade. She mainly needs to carry a homework folder, lunch bag and maybe a sweater (we live in a mild climate, so no snow gear.)

Any brands to hone in on or conversely, avoid? We've been happy with LandsEnd, but just wondering if there are other brands to look at.

Thanks!

I highly recommend Jansport. They are reasonably priced and have a lifetime warranty. They are VERY good about repairing issues if possible and if not they'll replace it with a new one. I had one all through JR high then high school. It finally tore and was very easy to get replaced. Just keep the tag and receipt.
http://www.jansport.com/shop/en/jansport-us/content/warranty

pomegranate
05-10-2014, 12:49 AM
DS is in kindergarten and has a original LL Bean. It's lasted the whole year easily and I can see it lasting several more. Before this one, he had the smaller version from LL Bean and it still looks great. We use the smaller one for vacations but need the bigger one for school. I love how it's such a classic, simple look. DS likes it too!

essnce629
05-10-2014, 02:19 AM

Yes to this, I 100% agree! I got one for DS1 last year and it still looks brand new. I will stick with High Sierra from now on! I got him a black one so it doesn't show any dirt and he should be able to use it throughout middle school. It has a laptop sleeve too which is great since he always takes his laptop to his friends' houses. I think they were only $19!

The LE ones have never lasted a full year (the mesh bottle holder always gets holes right away) and the ones from Pottery Barn literally lasted 1 week (we had two)!

I've never tried LLB because of their lack of outside bottle pocket.

Melaine
05-10-2014, 07:51 AM
When does Costco get the backpacks?

calebsmama03
05-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Lands end!! DS1 has had his since first grade. He's entering 6th in the fall and it still looks great. DD had hers since Kinder (now in 3rd) and it's still in great condition, just looks a little dinger because it is pink vs the navy blue of DS's. I swear by them and think the only reason we'd have to buy another is if they need a larger size.

The LE lunch boxes are great, as well. Ds has had his since 2nd grade (so used for grades 2, 3, 4, and 5) and I'm only just now needing to get him a new one due to a few rips in the lining from tossing a metal fork in there haphazardly.

MMMommy
05-10-2014, 05:20 PM

I think they get them in before school starts. Probably early summer or summer.

MMMommy
05-18-2014, 06:01 PM

Just saw the new shipment of High Sierra backpacks at Costco (the ones for school). $18.99.

Fairy
05-18-2014, 06:04 PM
We're at the end of year 2 with the Star Wars backpack from PBK, but it's ripped in a couple places, and one of the straps attached to a buckle was yanked out of the stitching. It's sturdy for a very heavy amount of stuff inside, however, and could easily last another year. But again, there are lots of rips at the seams.

Globetrotter
05-18-2014, 06:17 PM
High Sierra from ebags.

Melaine
05-18-2014, 06:39 PM
Just saw the new shipment of High Sierra backpacks at Costco (the ones for school). $18.99.

Great, thank you,

Nooknookmom
05-18-2014, 07:13 PM
Hanna. Looks brand new - in fact it's still stiff. Also I waited to the end of the summer and I got it super cheap.

Eta - dd1 had great luck with Roxy bags too/Quicksilver for boys. They go on sale often or the Rack has them sometimes.

essnce629
05-18-2014, 07:46 PM
We're at the end of year 2 with the Star Wars backpack from PBK, but it's ripped in a couple places, and one of the straps attached to a buckle was yanked out of the stitching. It's sturdy for a very heavy amount of stuff inside, however, and could easily last another year. But again, there are lots of rips at the seams.

Both of our Star Wars ones ripped the first month! The first one tore up around the top handle after just a week at camp. They sent a replacement and it lasted less than a month. I was done with PBK backpacks after that.

Fairy
05-18-2014, 10:24 PM
Both of our Star Wars ones ripped the first month! The first one tore up around the top handle after just a week at camp. They sent a replacement and it lasted less than a month. I was done with PBK backpacks after that.

totally not surprised. i dont send this one for camp, i only get cheap target ones for camp. and ya know what, that cheap superman thing w/the molded outside lasted all summer taking a huge beating, while the expensive PBK thats only used for school started ripping fast. again, its keeping up, but lots of rips. PBK is pretty. NOT sturdy.

MamaKath
05-19-2014, 10:03 PM
The kids wanted Costco ones this year. They are High Sierra. DC1's did not hold up well because of the load of books. DC2's held up better, however the mesh pocket ripped.

Well, I just looked at the kids backpacks. Both of last year's High Sierra backpacks from Costco for this school year have rips and zipper issues. The one we pulled from the year before for DC1 also has developed a zipper issue. I am bummed! Definitely would not get those again. :-(