PDA

View Full Version : ISO safe deodorant for kids

Mamma2004
05-08-2014, 03:55 PM
DS usually smells so sweet (and not just because I am his mamma!). At times, though, he runs like crazy around on the playground and ends up smelling less sweet after school. He plays sports but this has never been an issue until very recently.
While he does not smell "nasty", I don't want him to walk around with an odor.

I am reluctant to have my not-yet-10-year-old use products that I WOULD use (like my Dove antiperspirant that works well on me!).
I have heard mixed reviews about Tom's of Maine.
There are deodorants for "kids" on Amazon, but I have no familiarity with them.
There are all sorts of ideas on the Internet (witch hazel, baking soda, alcohol, vinegar....), and I thought I would start with all of you experienced "friends"!

TIA!

carolinacool
05-08-2014, 04:28 PM
Not there yet, but a friend of mine has started using Tom's on her 6-year-old. But I admit neither she or I follow EWG recommendations all that closely.

Piglet
05-08-2014, 04:44 PM
DS1 uses something from the organic store here... but he is out of town so I can't look at the bottle. It is a spray and has very few ingredients. It totally does the trick! I think it uses a salt as the active ingredient.

DH uses rubbing alcohol spray daily to kill the bacteria as well as something scented for good measure.

I would go to a TJ or the like and ask for recommendations.

ETA: ds1 uses Dr. Mist

baymom
05-08-2014, 04:48 PM
I asked our ped for suggestions on this. He said he thinks any deodorant is okay, just not to use an antiperspirant. 9 year old DS liked the smell of Old Spice, so that's what we use.

indigo99
05-08-2014, 05:12 PM
I'd just check the ingredients and avoid aluminum and parabens. I use Herbal Magic or Nature's Gate unscented. I think that witch hazel tends to work well so I look for that.

legaleagle
05-09-2014, 08:52 AM
I use lavilin cream on myself and it works amazingly well. They make a rollon too, which is use for a kid because the cream is kind of messy.

Twoboos
05-09-2014, 09:06 AM
DDs have been using Tom's.

KpbS
05-09-2014, 09:10 AM
DS1 has been using a variety of Jasons, purchased at Whole Foods, but it has lately started breaking him out. Need to find another option.

AnnieW625
05-10-2014, 10:08 AM
I would probably start with something like Tom's because that is what I used for many years as a teen and in my early 20s. It worked great for me until I hit my mid 20s and I needed something stronger.