PDA

View Full Version : New carpet and off gassing

elizamom
05-08-2014, 05:38 PM
Anyone knowledgable on this subject? We are buying a house soon and it is going to need new carpet. Anyone know what the most natural, healthy options are?

Melaine
05-08-2014, 05:57 PM
I can't really answer your question but my advice is to do anything to avoid carpet if you are at all prone to allergies. I would give anything to have any kind of hard floor....With kids and pets carpets are just gross and cleaning them is also kind of iffy from a health perspective.

kristac
05-08-2014, 06:09 PM
Following- we are looking to replace our family room carpet.

I did see this-http://shawfloors.com/tips-trends/luxurious-carpet/carpet-and-allergens
Also saw something to the effect that newer carpets offgas less then low VOC paints?

Katigre
05-08-2014, 06:24 PM
The carpet padding and glue is a bigger off gassing issue so it's be careful there too.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

KpbS
05-09-2014, 09:07 AM
I'd love to know if there are any better options out there, including glue and padding. Our preschool is looking to replace the carpet and the last round of carpet our school installed off-gassed for over a year! I know most people can't smell it, but it really bothers me, and I hate to think about the health effects of the VOC.

elizamom
05-09-2014, 11:51 AM
The more I google it, the more I am thinking we might look at hardwood floors. Although, if you google that enough, they off gas as well. Argh.

Yes, we have allergies. I've never liked carpet much for that reason, but it's less expensive....

Melaine
05-09-2014, 11:59 AM
The more I google it, the more I am thinking we might look at hardwood floors. Although, if you google that enough, they off gas as well. Argh.

Yes, we have allergies. I've never liked carpet much for that reason, but it's less expensive....

I know...we are facing the same issue because our carpet is so old. I am ready to replace with linoleum or tile....I mean, hardwood is great but not financially feasible. We have been happy with our floating laminate in our living room but even that can be pricey. I would take ANY hard flooring over carpet right now. painted subfloor....anything. I so hate having carpet.

div_0305
05-09-2014, 01:41 PM
We replaced all carpet in our house when we bought it with hardwood. We don't have allergies, but carpets gross me out just thinking of all the stuff they harbor no matter how often they are cleaned. You can't clean the padding. We got a great deal by shopping around and going through an individual seller over a storefront seller. If I had a solid recommendation for someone to put a cement/poured concrete floor in, I might've done that in some areas. They can be made to look very artistic and material is cheap.

kwc
05-09-2014, 01:55 PM
The carpet padding and glue is a bigger off gassing issue so it's be careful there too.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

THIS. I thought I was being so careful to select undyed wool carpet that had no odor... but the glue and pad were horrible. We recently replaced some carpet in my parents house with FLOR carpet tiles... no glue, no pad, no odor or off gassing at all (which was very important as my mom is disabled and in the house all the time, and very sensitive to smells). But otherwise, we have hardwood in the rest of our house.

mackmama
05-09-2014, 05:24 PM
Is it possible for you to have the hardwood installed 2-3 weeks before you move in? At least what would get you past the most off-gassing. Maybe call a hardwood installer and ask them? I agree about avoiding carpet if possible.